Should deaf children experienced hearing school?

Should a deaf child experienced a hearing school at least once in their life?

• Yes, For Sure

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No Way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Just curious about your opinion of whether a deaf child should at least experience a hearing school or mainstreamed at least once in their life?

Yes, they should because the education in hearing school, in general is better than in a deaf school because of the English and other higher level education for them, as long there is a interpreter to have better communication with the teacher and students. I was in hearing school from kidergarten all the way to Elementary and moved into a deaf school from Middle school to graduation of High school.

Though, it depends on where in the US have good education or not, anyhow.

i would vote both yes and no because it depend on education level the deaf student possesses, sometimes it may be way too low and they wouldnt not make it out in hearing school until they improve it first in early year then hopefully they can make it out in hearing school in middle and high school. It only matters is the education and the quality of their studying.

I vote both yes and no too. I don't believe that it should be an either or thing.
I was totally and completely mainstreamed, and I can remember thinking that I was the only dhh kid in the entire WORLD! I never want that to happen to any other dhh kid!

I think every Deaf or HOH kid should experience deaf school/programs and hearing schools to understand the difference of both cultures.
I grew up in a deaf program in hearing elementary then transfered to a hearing middle school, full mainstreamed.

I have been to deaf schools (mostly Riverside) and I had friends from varying deaf schools... I understand the differences between deaf school and mainstreamed school from a young age.

For a deaf mainstreamed child to experience deaf school/programs will help develop their deaf identity and get peers/friends to feel better about selves (self-esteem).
[my husband grew up thinking he was different from BOTH hearing and deaf because he never fit anywhere throughout K-12 because he was only deaf mainstreamed child in his school district. He should have been sent to deaf programs' fieldday trips, deaf days, et cetera to understand that he was not the ONLY deaf mainstreamed child in the wide nation...He thought something was wrong with him when he realized that the deaf peers of his didn't have the same level of English nor vocabulary so he felt out of place. To these deaf students, my husband is a "hearie" while his hearing peers sees him as "deafie"...]

For a deaf residental student to experience hearing schools, s/he may understand the level s/he needs to achieve up to-- that education may be different in another school; if s/he wants to mainstream, this is a good glimpse of what will come so this will enable her/him to be prepared with confidence and courage.

So I say-- YEs, for sure-- to experience a week or a month, or a year of a hearing school. AND it goes the same for the mainstreamed students to experience deaf school/programs.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. I was mainstreamed and went to a hearing school for all of my life. By the time I was of schooling age, my language skills were equivalent to those of hearing children of the same age. Mom was good for something!

It's up to the parents anyway - and it is sad that some parents don't research this further before placing their child into an educational system. There are parents who seek out the best place for their child based on their own beliefs - so the child misses out. In some cases, it's a no-win situation. If the child is put into a deaf school, then they do not experience as much of the hearing world as they are capable of...and if the child is placed into a hearing institution, then they may not have as many deaf friends and interaction with other deaf students they may desire or need. :dunno:

I say yes when they are young children. From Pre-school to Kindergarte school. Not during Middle school or High school.

Yeah....high school and jr. high sucks big donkey balls in terms of social issues....but I think that the law should mandate split placement early on so that dhh kids don't fall through the cracks....it's very easy for dhh kids to fall through the cracks. Total mainstreaming for young dhh kids doesn't work!

sequoias said:
Yes, they should because the education in hearing school, in general is better than in a deaf school because of the English and other higher level education for them, as long there is a interpreter to have better communication with the teacher and students.

I totally agree with you, because I went to private elementary school, then I was enrolled to public schools in '98. I received deaf education programs until my sophomore year, and I stopped deaf education because she didn't do very well and she kept giving me extra work when I have nothing to do. The school system gave me an opportunity to prove them that I can do well without any support from deaf education teacher, then I DID IT! I got higher English grade this year and next year is my senior year, then hopefully I will go to NTID, and be happy with deaf students while I have good English skills. :)

I think the parents should request in their deaf child's IEP to allow the deaf child to go over to the hearing school for at least an English class every day. This way s/he will be exposed to the better English structure as well as having the opportunity to learn about the hearing world. Many parents don't know they can actually request this in their child's education IEP. Then when the child is older s/he can make their own decision....attend a hearing school for mainstreaming or stay at their deaf school.

Why shouldn't they?

After all, it'll help further their educational opportunities ONLY if they put their mind to doing the hard work to get ahead.

I have been in all kind of programs, I perfer being in hearing school than being in deaf school.

What about those deaf kids who got kicked out of deaf school, where did they go?

I think deaf kids should be treated the same as every other hearing kid. If the deaf kid doesn't have any learning disabilities or mental handicap, then he or she should be going to hearing school like everyone else. That way, they can progress like every other hearing kid. :)

Here in OC most deaf students are mainstreamed into their local schools. Most local schools have developed their own HOH programs to accomodate these deaf students.

I went to private school when I was a little boy too.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Here in OC most deaf students are mainstreamed into their local schools. Most local schools have developed their own HOH programs to accomodate these deaf students.

I went to private school when I was a little boy too.

Richard

I won't be surprised if most of the HOH programs sucked. I know mine did.

Yes, the education's better, but the service sucked.

I went to hearing kindergarten and college, and I am glad I went to deaf school for 10 years. It is good idea for deaf children to learn both ways in preparing for their hearing world - working in hearing job etc. :wave:

I think deaf children should go into hearing school. It prepares them for the hardships that the hearing world has to offer. Plus it aids them in speaking orally slightly better because they are forced to interact with hearing people.

AND it goes the same for the mainstreamed students to experience deaf school/programs.
YEAH! Good point!!! I think that mainstreamed students should definitly have the experiance of attending deaf schools or programs...that would be awesome!

I am also mixed on this issue. I was born HOH (a mild loss) and was mainstreamed into public schools (grades 1-8) and a private high school. I had friends but we were not very close. I teased a lot by the other kids. I was the only deaf/hoh student until I got into high school. :tears I discovered the other girl, a few days before we graduated. Since my hearing loss is mild, I did not qualify to go to the Cleary School for the Deaf in Nesconset, New York (Suffolk County's school for the deaf). :pissed: I live on Long Island, NY.

Back