Short interview

Sydlie

Reaction score
Okay, this is purely optional, it’s only for extra credit since I’ve already interviewed one of my friends and to be honest, I don’t even know for sure if my professor will give me any extra credit for it. It’s just a shot in the dark. But if you have a minute, I’d appreciate it if you’d fill out my little questionnaire. Basically, it’s for my Deaf Culture class, we’re supposed to interview a Deaf person. My prof’s idea of a test is to ask us to remember 5 sentences from a chapter exactly, so I am not doing great in the class and I need all the help I can get! I apologize for these questions, I know they’re kind of annoying, but my professor wrote them. And please feel free to skip any questions or add any information you think might help.

1. Your first name:
2. Your age:
3. Were you born Deaf?
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it?
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family?
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf?
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf?
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter?
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school?
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)?
7. Does your family Sign with you?
8. What kind of work do you do?
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers?
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign?
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?)
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one)

Okay, that’s all I have. Like I said, if you have anything that you want to add or anything that you think may help, I am more than happy to hear it. You can either post your answers here or email them to me at PrincessofArmana@yahoo.com Thank you in advance!

1. Your first name:
Ashley
2. Your age: 17
3. Were you born Deaf? no
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it? about 3, spinal mengitist.
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? nope, i'm a loner.
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf? N/A
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf? N/A
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? i'd prefer deaf, but if they were hearing, oh well, it's alright w/ me.
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? mainstreamed from pre-k to 9th, currently @ a residential school.
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? about 4 years old
7. Does your family Sign with you? yes
8. What kind of work do you do? i don't work
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? N/A
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? very much so
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) if i know how to pronounce the words, i say it, if i don't, i write it down
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one) yes, i've had one who would sit the whole class and talk about her new boyfriend.

1. Your first name: Kiandra
2. Your age: 19
3. Were you born Deaf? Premmie ROCKS! :fu:
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it? right after i got std from mama.. :|
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? nope..
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf? nah
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf? nah
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? does it have to be that matters? :greddy: NAAHH!
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? TSD<~ :rl:
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? since i was 16 mons old
7. Does your family Sign with you? a few
8. What kind of work do you do? studying in college
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? writing the notes or teach them
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign?nah, i have millions of patience... ;)
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) yup
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one)
i love my "momma" shes the greatest ;)

1. Your first name: Chel.
2. Your age: 28.
3. Were you born Deaf? No.
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it? 6 months old from spinal meningitis.
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? No.
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf? Yes.
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf? No.
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? It doesn't matter, as long as they're healthy if they're deaf or hearing.
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? I went to deaf institution for 12 years then mainstreamed.
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? I was oral throughout my childhood until I learned sign language in my frosh year of High School.
7. Does your family Sign with you? No, but Mom fingerspells if I don't know what the word she or Dad said.
8. What kind of work do you do? Cooperator Service, working with computer all day long, and College Instructor, teaching sign language in evenings.
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? During the day, I communicate with my coworkers through voice and gestures. Most understand me when I speak clearly. During evenings at teaching classes, I use sign language with my students and at the end of each class, I use my voice for questions and answers.
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? No.
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) I'm in a "small world" and it's almost like everyone in my town knows that I'm deaf (I live here for almost 6 years) and sometimes I just speak directly to them. If they don't understand me, I rephrase and try again. If still not understand me, I get pen and paper to dot down what I want to say. It's no big deal for me since I practiced to be "oral" for 12 years.
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one) Yes, I have. When I informed the adminstration that I need an interpreter for my appointment at the hospital, they assigned me a person from the same hospital (not hire an "outside" person) who just knows sign language, but she was not a qualified interpreter. I have had a hard time understanding her and the nurse. :ugh: Another situation happened when I was in college, I had an interpreter who just knew fingerspelling in sign language, nothing else. That time I didn't know that I have the right to confront the college adminstrator and tell them that I want a more qualified interpreter, perhaps a certified interpreter. :smh: Right now, I know what I need to do, if the company doesn't meet my "requirement." :thumb:

Hope this helps you. Good luck with your extra credit.

Last edited:
1. Original name is unknown
2. Original age is unknown
3. Unknown how cause to be deaf.
4. Several member of my family are deafs, of course, they are adopted not relation to my parent.
5. Mainstreamed 100%
6. I learn sign language after adopted when I was tiny child.
7. Almost every my family can sign to make out of the communciate.
8. I work as Graphic Designer for the TDD Manufacturing by the deaf owner.
9. I don't mind by write note in alternative communcaiton.
10. See No. 9.
11. I am okay with interpreter. I think I am doing something wrong but some interpreter may make mistake, no big deal. After I got out of school (college), I am doing great. Thank to my biggest support: my family.
thumbs_up.gif

1. Your name :Bradley Goodyear
2. Your age: 28
3. Were you born Deaf ? yes, of course
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? no
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf? no
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf? no
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? does it matter
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? Deaf School in Newfoundland
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? sign at 5, oral very young age like 4 or 5
7. Does your family Sign with you? some not all
8. What kind of work do you do? no work but do work with graphic designer
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? no they don't sign but we can communcation though computer or write a paper
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? not really
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) wite on paper of course
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with I have no problem with any interpreter.

1. Your first name: Tiffany
2. Your age: 26
3. Were you born Deaf? no
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it? abt 1 year old
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? yes only my brother and me
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf? no
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf? no children yet
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? it doesn't matter
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? i grew up mianstreamed until i was 8th grade then transferred to deaf school
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? i dont remember, but I use both sign and talk.
7. Does your family Sign with you? Yes, not always
8. What kind of work do you do? deliver newspapers for now
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? no, paper & pen or read lips. depend on individual at my work
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? sometimes
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) both, if they dont understand me, then i would write down.
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one) No

1. Elyse
2. 20
3. Yes
---- 3 a. Generation
4. Yes, a sister.
---- 4 a. N/A
---- 4 b. N/A
---- 4 c. It doesn't matter to me.
5. Mainstreamed in my hometown as an only deaf student whole my life.
6. Learned sign at around 6 months old, oral-I dunno, probably like 1 or 2 years old
7. Yes
8. I used to work at a supermarket
---- 8 a. I taught a few people the alphabets and mostly bad words, most of time I communicated orally with them.
9. Nope, not at all.
10. If someone doesn't understand me, I would try to make gesture or find a paper and pen.
11. Yes, an interpreter came to my doctor appt and she was dressed up very odd clothes, even HOLES on her black stockings. She signed very bad. When the doctor didn't talk, she turned at me and said "Jesus Loves You" and handed me a little handbook. I got FREAKED OUT! So upset about this, so I called the agency and complained to them. They sounded not very concern enough. (My mother is an interpreter and she knows about the interpreter policies, none of ethnics and religions are allowed involved the business. )

Last edited:
1. Your first name: Alex
2. Your age: 26
3. Were you born Deaf? No.
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it? 5 years old. Unknown but we (doctor and family) suspect it was due to a high fever.
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? Just found out a distant family member is hard of hearing.
---- 4 a. N/A
---- 4 b. N/A
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? Doesn't really matter to me.
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? Both.
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? When I was around 9 or 10 years old.
7. Does your family Sign with you? No, they mostly use body language if I can't understand them. My brothers finger spell to me sometimes.
8. What kind of work do you do? Freelance.
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? I'm hard of hearing, so I can speak with them. If I don't understand them, I'd use a pen and paper.
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? Not really, I have a lot of patience, and I can understand how difficult it can be learning a new language.
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) I'd talk to them.
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one) Just like in the Deaf world, interpreters tend to gossip when they're supposed to act professional in a working environment.

1. Your first name: Jordan
2. Your age: 23
3. Were you born Deaf? Yes
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? No
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter?
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? mainstreamed
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? 3 years old
7. Does your family Sign with you? sometimes
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers?
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign?
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) i use pencil and paper
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with Hell, yes. too many to list.

1. Your first name: Waheed Virdi Zubair
2. Your age: nearly 26
3. Were you born Deaf no
---- 3 a. If not, what age did you become Deaf and what caused it? born hard of hearing and become full deaf at age 11 year old
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? yes
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf?none
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf?none
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? dont mind
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? half mainstreamed and half deaf school
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)?oral still age 11 and start losin speech and become a full signer at age 13 and still can lipread!
7. Does your family Sign with you? yep gesture mainly
8. What kind of work do you do? part time bsl tutor and full time nurse
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? yep mainly can sign.
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? rarely but respect them until they learn more..
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) first lipread if they dont understand i normally write down.
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one NONE

1. Your first name: Lindsey
2. Your age:22
3. Were you born Deaf?No
I became deaf at the age of 4 from an antibiotic overdose to treat Bronchitis
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family?No, I'm the only one.
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf?Yes
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf?My 2 year old is hard of hearing, and I suspect the baby is deaf, will get more tests done this summer to confirm it.
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter?It doesn't matter to me, only their health comes first.
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school?Both.
6. When did you learn Sign (or are you Oral)? I am oral and learned sign language while I was in high school
7. Does your family Sign with you?I communicate with my relatives orally, and both oral/sign lauguage with my hubby's family (his mother, brother, nephews is deaf, and his 2 sisters is hearing.)
8. What kind of work do you do? Being a mother and housewife at home
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers?n/a
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? No, because I can speak to them.
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) I communicate with them orally, and if they don't understand, I'll write on paper or try to repeat what I say to them.
11. Have you ever had a bad interpreter, or one you felt uncomfortable with (Ex. My professor is Deaf and her first OB/Gyn appointment, her interpreter was male and it was too late to get another one) I have had an interpreter during high school that never showed up all the time when she was supposed to and I missed out on a lot of information in my classes.

That is not a short interview- will respond later when more time but right now gonna get ready to go out!!!

1. Your first name:
Kevin
2. Your age:
3. Were you born Deaf?
I became deaf when I was 11 months old due to high fever.
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family?
No
I'm not married.
No children
It doesn't matter.
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school?
I was mainstreamed
I learned sign language when I was 2 years old.
7. Does your family Sign with you?
Yes
No job this moment.
I never had this experience before.
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?)
I usually ask for paper and a pen.
No, I haven't.

1. Your first name: Mike
2. Your age: 27
3. Were you born Deaf? Yes
4. Are there any other Deaf in your family? One Deaf Brother
---- 4 a. If you are married, is your spouse deaf? n/a
---- 4 b. If you have children, are they Deaf? n/a
---- 4 c. Would you prefer your children to be Hearing or Deaf or does it matter? :dunno:
5. Were you mainstreamed or did you go to a residential school? grow up in mainstreamed then finally into mssd h.s.
7. Does your family Sign with you? Yes
8. What kind of work do you do? Defense Suppy Center, Laborers
---- 8 a. Does anyone at work Sign with you? If not, how do you communicate with co-workers? I use my voice pretty well
9. Do you get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign? use my voice if not, write on note
10. How do you deal with daily communication issues? (Like needing to ask a question in a store. Ex. Do you write your question down on paper?) use my voice

1. Nathan
2. 21
3. no
---- 3 a. I was borned hearing until I was about 2 or 3 year old, had alot of ear infection, so went into open surgery then after than became deaf ever since...
4. yes my father, mother, my brother and me, my both sister are hearing... my aunt and uncle are deaf, one cousin is deaf.. actually I'm in the 6th generation for deafness...
5. I went to mainstreaming school until 4th grade then went to deaf school and graduate.. now I will be going to Gallaudet this fall...
6. learned sign language after I became deaf... parent taught me 80% then deaf school taught 20% better
7. yes all of them..
8. Retail store at SuperTarget being cashier...
---- 8 a. luckily my boss know some sign lanuage, same with 3 co-worker, but other than that I try to talk or use the paper to communicate.
9. yes I always get frustrated with Hearing people who either don’t know Sign or are not good with their sign.
10. With daily communication with hearing people, I always try to talk first, then use the paper last...
11. my first interpreator was so bitch in 5th grade which I attend public school along with deaf school, just for one class... my interpreator was so stuck-up she think I'm dumb and low class so I told her that she is absolutely bitch and didn't like her so she was replaced... thanks god!

Any more information or question... take care and hope this helps!

You are all fabulous and I now owe each of you a favor. I'll let you know how everything goes and if my professor lets me turn them all in for extra credit. Keep your fingers crossed!

Back