Short in electrodes.

ashleysmommy

Reaction score
We found out that 2 of the electrodes in Ashley's right implant are shorting to each other. Has anyone else had this happen? If so could you hear any different? Ashley had been pulling that side off more often for a bit. Was curious if she may have had distortion. She can't tell me so I have to rely on information from those that may have the same situation. Thanks for any input.

Did u ask her ENT about it?

Her ENT has no patients that have had this happen. The one audi that has, was off that day. They just turned one of the two off so the problem should be fixed. We go back in two weeks to follow up to make sure all is well. Was just curious if she may hear differently if there is a short.

Our audiologist turns off electrodes all the time. He says it's not a big deal. He says the signal is just routed over all the other electrodes.

With my daughter, the electrodes began individually shorting out. At first they were able to bypass the shorted out electrodes but eventually it got to the point where it began to affect her hearing and they could no longer map around them. At that point she was re-impplanted.
Rick

I had 4 of my electrodes switched off and all the maps were routed to other electrodes. I was feeling faints every time they tune those particular electrodes also experincing distorted sounds so they think that the electrodes are too close to each other and too close to the nerve. I am Cochlear user and the electrode 11,12,13,14 were switched off, it's in the middle of the array.
It had been fine since those were switched off.

The other electrodes take the on the burden of the 2 that were turned off and their load is just spread out across the others. It would take a lot of electrodes to be turned off to make a difference. Some people don't get full insertion, so start out with less electrodes on.

When my DD was reimplanted in 2007, she had 2 electrodes shorting each other out and the audi turned them off. At our next visit we saw a different audi and an AB rep, and they turned them back on because they were working. A year later and they are fine. So even if they are shorting each other out now, it doesn't mean they will continue to do so, they might be able to turn them back on down the line, but even if they don't, 2 electrodes off should not affect the implant...

i know a ci user who had to have 2 electrodes turned off (due to oversensitivity when hearing high frequencies) and she suffered no negative consequences to her hearing as a result. as has been mentioned by several posters, the other electrodes compensate for those that are turned off.

Great to hear from you again! It been soooo long since I've heard from you, I was thinking where you were and hoping you'd come back :)
How's is she doing? I'd and I'm sure everyone else as well would love to hear updates on her!
I have electrode number 8 turned off due to nerve too sensitive in that spot and it didn't affect anything to the sound quality

I have electrode 7 removed from the programing since it is open ( not reading anything) all my other electrodes have been stable as shown on the inpendance graphs for the past two years.

I have electrode 7 removed from the programing since it is open ( not reading anything) all my other electrodes have been stable as shown on the inpendance graphs for the past two years.

impedance graphs? are those graphs taken from an integrity test?

As far as electrodes being turned off. I had a couple turned off during the first couple weeks after activation. They have since been turned back on. When the electrodes were turned off, I had no noticable change in my ability to hear.

Hear Again,

I believe the Impedence Graph is the initial test right at the beginning of the mapping process where the audi can see the green dots over each of the 22 electrodes when it shows the electrode aray. You might be able to hear a slight beep or double beep when this happens.

Let me know if you have other questions. I'll be going in this Friday to get my Bilateral Implant activated and a slight adjustment to my current one.

I'll ask if there is another screen shot they have if something comes up on the electrode aray that they don't like. Maybe that is the graph that is mentioned.

Really looking forward to this Friday.

Hear Again,

I believe the Impedence Graph is the initial test right at the beginning of the mapping process where the audi can see the green dots over each of the 22 electrodes when it shows the electrode aray. You might be able to hear a slight beep or double beep when this happens.

Let me know if you have other questions. I'll be going in this Friday to get my Bilateral Implant activated and a slight adjustment to my current one.

I'll ask if there is another screen shot they have if something comes up on the electrode aray that they don't like. Maybe that is the graph that is mentioned.

Really looking forward to this Friday.

steve,

does the impedance graph indicate how much current is flowing through each of the 22 electrodes? i've never asked my audi about this, so i have no idea.

good luck with your bilateral ci activation on friday! :) as someone who has been bilateral for the past 2 years, i think you're going to love it!

i hope you'll send us a note to let us know how everything went.

p.s. keep in mind that the second activation won't be as significant as the first. chances are likely that you won't hear as much as you did during your first ci activation. however, you may notice that sounds are louder, clearer and have directionality.

My friend was unfortunate enough to require her ci to be removed. Her electrodes stop working and she experienced severe heachaches and dizzeness and her electrodes had to be turned off, from 22 to 19-12 then eventually 4. When she only had 4 electrodes working she was not able to hear and still had headaches. Since her reimplantations shes doing fine shes back to normal. This happened after she had has her implant for over 11 years, think it was about 13 years.

The Impedance Graph shows the current flow based on the resistance of each electrode to the two grounds on the array. There are actually 24 electrodes on the array. 22 signal and 2 grounds. There is also a third ground on a separate wire with a small ball on the end. There are three graphs created during the impedance testing.

The Impedance Graph shows the current flow based on the resistance of each electrode to the two grounds on the array. There are actually 24 electrodes on the array. 22 signal and 2 grounds. There is also a third ground on a separate wire with a small ball on the end. There are three graphs created during the impedance testing.

thank you for answering my question.

Thank you to all that have sent a reply. All of the information was very helpful. I didn't think it would be a big deal but it helps to get responses from folks that have been there done that so to speak. Thanks again!!! Any further info please send !!

Back