Shooting at the Ranges

sonocativo

Reaction score
DEAF shooters only respond.
Indoor or Out,
Do you wear hearing protection?

I am communicating with OSHA and the range as I am completely Deaf without my CI, and I hate wearing or even lugging around the ear protection since they are completely useless to me...
The range only wants me to wear them so their staff doesnt freak out over someone not wearing hearing protection.

What is your insight on this issue?

I am asking OSHA if I am required to wear hearing protection as I am 100% Deaf.... waiting their response.

I know you don't want any hearing responses but do you mind if I ask a question? I'm curious why you would be asking OSHA about this. Isn't it up to the range to establish their own rules?

I know you don't want any hearing responses but do you mind if I ask a question? I'm curious why you would be asking OSHA about this. Isn't it up to the range to establish their own rules?
The range follows OSHA regulations on workplace safety, the only thing the range tells me is they dont want their employees freaking out that Im not wearing any.

even if i wear the tiny ear plugs, my long hair covers them and they cant see them anyways... so, I dont see what the issue is if I cant hear, like I told them, my ears dont work...

as a side note, Im on a Gun site ( concealed carry/open carry) and the members there are basically ignorant making comments like a person with no arms washing their hands before returning to work, a person with no legs wearing steel toed work shoes...ect.. just being assholes there, so I brought up discrimination and they dont understand that either..
But, my issue is, why am I required to wear or lug around crap that is useless to me, an inconvienience as well.

The range follows OSHA regulations on workplace safety, the only thing the range tells me is they dont want their employees freaking out that Im not wearing any.

even if i wear the tiny ear plugs, my long hair covers them and they cant see them anyways... so, I dont see what the issue is if I cant hear, like I told them, my ears dont work...

But how does you not wearing ear protection put other people at risk ? I don't see what the big deal is , it sound like the people brains at shooting ranges don't work.

The range I go to does not give me issue; but they did request a letter from my doctor stating that not wearing ear protection would not be a health risk and they drew up a waver I have to sign. For them it was concern for my safety and for liability.

The range I go to does not give me issue; but they did request a letter from my doctor stating that not wearing ear protection would not be a health risk and they drew up a waver I have to sign. For them it was concern for my safety and for liability.

OK that made sense .

Liability issue as much as anything.
I shoot at least twice a week and just use ear plugs not a big deal.
Why make something out of nothing.

Depends on which firearms used, some of them I can handle without ear protection, one like .44, .223, etc, lil plug would be ok with me. .357 is borderline for me. Never had to sign liability waiver form for this reason. Perhaps those people know about Deaf, :dunno:

:ty:

The only issue I can think of could come from the other shooters. Some of them, not knowing that you are deaf, may take it upon themselves to remind you that you "forgot" to put on your hearing protection.

DEAF shooters only respond.
Indoor or Out,
Do you wear hearing protection?

I am communicating with OSHA and the range as I am completely Deaf without my CI, and I hate wearing or even lugging around the ear protection since they are completely useless to me...
The range only wants me to wear them so their staff doesnt freak out over someone not wearing hearing protection.

What is your insight on this issue?

I am asking OSHA if I am required to wear hearing protection as I am 100% Deaf.... waiting their response.

Fat chance, they won't understand a thing or two about Deafness. Expect the requirement on wearing them regardless, find other range that don't give a damn.

Fat chance, they won't understand a thing or two about Deafness. Expect the requirement on wearing them regardless, find other range that don't give a damn.

such a hostile attitude. it would be a lot simpler if you just to wear any form of ear protection just like everybody else.... and make friend with the staff so that they bend rules for you. we all live in a very litigious country and it's extremely difficult for a gun range to stay in business in this time of litigious age.

the gun range in PA acknowledged that I'm deaf and that I don't need ear protection but the staff said - just please wear it anyway. it's the rule. so I obliged. and the gun range in NJ that I go to sometimes acknowledged that I'm deaf and let me go without ear protection.

such a hostile attitude. it would be a lot simpler if you just to wear any form of ear protection just like everybody else.... and make friend with the staff so that they bend rules for you. we all live in a very litigious country and it's extremely difficult for a gun range to stay in business in this time of litigious age.

the gun range in PA acknowledged that I'm deaf and that I don't need ear protection but the staff said - just please wear it anyway. it's the rule. so I obliged. and the gun range in NJ that I go to sometimes acknowledged that I'm deaf and let me go without ear protection.

How so?

We used to go skeet shooting all the time on a relative's farm land, and never wore ear protection.

That's a big advantage if you don't need to go to a gun range.

OSHA replied to my email and said it only applies to the range employees not the patrions. So, now to hit up the Health department for their take on it and Im set... if they say a deaf person doesnt need hearing protection then I just need a letter to take.

I just left another forum due to the ignorance towards the deaf, Gun waving butt pirates.
Really irk'd me with some of the comments made and had the balls to say I was a troll, hahaha what a bunch of idiots. They want to push their rights to keep and bear arms but yet are ignorant to someone who is different and dont think those rights matter...sad.

Deaf shooters don't bother me......blind shooters do. :)

We used to have a blind lawyer here who was really big on hunting every weekend,

He actually lost his vision in a hunting accident, but that didn't stop him.

OK that made sense .

:) it is always nice when I happen into a business/person that actually uses common sense... I was nicely surprised by them. Expected some of the crap that others seem to be facing...

Back