Shooting at Texas A&M

Steinhauer

Reaction score
Texas A&M: Active shooter on campus apprehended - Yahoo! News

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) — Texas A&M University says a shooter has been taken into custody near its campus in College Station.

College Station police spokeswoman Rhonda Seaton tells CNN multiple people have been shot, including law enforcement, but she doesn't know the extent of the injuries. Multiple calls to Seaton's cellphone from The Associated Press have gone straight to voicemail.

The university issued an alert on its website just before 12:30 p.m. Monday warning of an active shooter near the campus football stadium, Kyle Field. The warning tells residents and students to avoid the area.

Seaton says the shooting happened within a block or two of campus sometime before 12:45 p.m. She says police have one suspect in custody.

College Station lies about 90 miles northwest of Houston.

It seems that the shooting is near A&M, not on the campus itself, not at A&M.

While this event happened close to Texas A & M University in College Station, the university itself was not involved. Students do have private residence in the area of the shooting. This situation involves the serving of an eviction notice by an Constable. This Constable was shot and killed. Two College Station police officers responded and shot the gunman dead. As of right now the count is six dozen shots total were fired. One interesting report, but nevertheless very sad, this Constable's death was the first by the department since 1889.

I wish it was as easy as saying it's just the nature of the state. But Iowa had an on-campus mass shooting in 1991. And we're a pretty progressive state.

It is really sad that this type of "situation" is getting to be a part of our daily life. Once again I have to say God Bless all the people affected with this senseless loss of life.

While this event happened close to Texas A & M University in College Station, the university itself was not involved. Students do have private residence in the area of the shooting. This situation involves the serving of an eviction notice by an Constable. This Constable was shot and killed. Two College Station police officers responded and shot the gunman dead. As of right now the count is six dozen shots total were fired.
Thanks for the details.

One interesting report, but nevertheless very sad, this Constable's death was the first by the department since 1889.
:(

I wish it was as easy as saying it's just the nature of the state. But Iowa had an on-campus mass shooting in 1991. And we're a pretty progressive state.
"Progressive state" has nothing to do with violent individuals.

Wow, that's sad. I hate to hear any news about shooting in or near to college. :(

So far, there is no connection to the college. We'll have to wait and see what the gunman's target and motive was.

Right, and that is expected. Reason for my comment was due to another incident on U of Texas, back many years. Also seems I forgot details about another one, but I believe there was one.

For a refresher course in the University of Texas Tower Sniper story:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAET3gFy5E8"]Texas tower shootings - KTBC special- YouTube[/ame]

Bits and pieces are being put together but I think this is the largest police investigation I can remember in Texas. Because so many different agencies responded, it is going to be difficult to detail who fired and from where.

What is know at the moment is that the gunman, Thomas Caffall, was being evicted from a house on a street corner. The Constable and landlord approached the front of the house. The were met with a hail of gunfire. A woman was driving by with her daughter's procession in the car to enroll the daughter at Texas A & M. This woman was hit by crossfire but, at this moment, is expected to survive.

Thomas Caffall is described by his Mother and Step-Father as being "crazy" in a statement to the police. He quit his job over a year ago and was addicted top playing video games all day. The police have not released the caliber of guns he had but it is being reported that he had at least 5, the last being purchased less than two weeks ago. The Step-Father had also been quoted a saying Thomas "lived outside the realm of reality."

The Constable murdered is Brain Bachmann, a husband and father of two. The landlord's family must be notified before the release of a name. Three police officers went to the hospital with gunshot wounds. The two police officers that took down Thomas have not been identified yet.

As I say, there are so many agencies, even those from Dallas and Houston, that this investigation had closed off three city blocks and people who live in the neighborhood are being asked to stay with family, friends our at hotels.

More to come as I glean information from the news. One thing I can share is that to get to Austin, where the Texas State School for the Deaf (TSD) is located a driver would go through College Station on the way. But from Dallas and San Antonio that is not necessary.

Back