Shooter kills 2 news crew members on live TV

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
2 members of Virginia TV news crew shot dead during live broadcast

DEVELOPING: A man with a gun has shot and killed two media members and wounded a third person on live television while they were filming in central Virginia and police are still searching for the assailant.

The two killed were identified by WDBJ colleagues as reporter Alison Parker, 24, and cameraman Adam Ward, 27.

A third person, who was being interviewed at the time of the shooting, was shot in the back and is in surgery, according to CNN. That person was identified as Vicki Gardner, head of the Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce, by the Roanoke Times.

The incident occurred at 6:45 a.m. at Bridgewater Plaza in Moneta, Va., according to Franklin County Sheriff Department spokesperson Phillip Young.

WSLS said police are still looking for the shooter and hope to have a description out to the public shortly.

A federal law enforcement official told Fox News the FBI's Richmond field office has responded to the scene and is participating in the investigation. The ATF said on Twitter it is also part of the manhunt for the shooting suspect….

Shooter kills two reporters on live TV

Last edited:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Other video about shooting.

Last edited:
The suspected shooter, screen shot.

Possibly a disgruntled former employee.

Attachments

• shooter.jpg
    shooter.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 20
"A third person, who was being interviewed at the time of the shooting, was shot in the back and is in surgery, according to CNN. That person was identified as Vicki Gardner, head of the Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce, by the Roanoke Times."

The victims:

Alison Parker

Her boyfriend:

Chris Hurst

According to Twitter:

"WDBJ photographer Adam Ward's fiancé Melissa Ott was in the control room -- she saw the shooting happen live."

:(

So sick. I hope they catch him fast. I saw the CNN alert on my phone earlier this morning.

It's so breaking news I couldn't get a link to it, but the update was:

"Law enforcement confronted Vester Flanagan on Interstate 66 and Flanagan shot himself, officials tell CNN. It is not clear whether he was killed or injured."

I had previously posted "Shooter is already dead." but now I'm reading conflicting reports and that he may still be alive, just critical. So I needed to amend my post.

Last edited:
It feels like gun violence is getting worse and worse in the US... This is horrible. And his poor fiancé... I couldn't even imagine...

Damn....RIP..
He shot the women mutlipe times first, she turned and ran....the camera man was closer to the shooter. It didnt show him get shot,
That women didnt stand a chance,runnin shot in those high heels...the look on her face when she realized....
Damn..

It feels like gun violence is getting worse and worse in the US... This is horrible. And his poor fiancé... I couldn't even imagine...

your gun laws not good they similar to South Africa...
You start your day and within hours two or three families lives change for ever my heart bleeds for them all

So senseless :(

Revenge is not an answer to being fired or whatever happened to the job. Prayers to the victims and their families.

Guess not all lives matter after all. God help the families with these terrible tragedies.

Laura

I watched the video, wow I feel like it is Grand Theft Auto game in reality. I don't think I'm able to sleep tonight and even hold a gun anymore. Very sad!

Yes, and he also targeted the reporter and cameraman, which he has personal issues with both of them. He lost the job with the news station because of conflicts with employers. He didn't hold a job for more than 2 years.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...irginia-slayings-of-6466587.php#photo-8536781

Apparently it was not in response to being fired. He said the Charleston shootings is what set him off...

http://nypost.com/2015/08/26/on-air-killer-wanted-race-war-after-charleston-massacre/

Back