Sexualization of girls

lumbingmi

Reaction score
March 3, 2008 - 12:21PM
Thong panties for 7-year olds and padded bras for girls as young as nine are among the items many parents are purchasing at local stores.

The sexualization of girls is blamed mainly on media; music videos, magazine covers and the like. But researchers and psychologists say it’s the culture inside the home, a parents influence, that truly makes the difference.

“There is something to letting kids sleep in warm flannel pajamas instead of sexy nighties. It’s about being a little girl and not a little girl being a woman,” Dr. Anthony Brailow, a clinical psychologist with the Desert Behavioral Health in Apple Valley.

He said it’s ultimately up to the parents and their acceptance of such clothing.

There needs to be an open dialogue between parents and children, said Brailow. It’s not enough to just say no to certain clothing or toys, they need to sit down and explain why it is not appropriate, he said.

A study led by Dr. Eileen L. Zurbriggen for the American Psychological Association concluded that media messages are teaching girls to put an unhealthy emphasis on physical appearance. It’s up to a parent to counteracts that message.

Top Story: Sexualization of girls | girls, parents, brailow - Victorville Daily Press

I dont have daugthers yet but it sick me to see so many young girls flaunting their bodies. I will never allow my daugthers to dress half-naked. I would make sure that my future daughters are well-protected and well-dressed to prevent perverts or pedophiles. :rifle:

Top Story: Sexualization of girls | girls, parents, brailow - Victorville Daily Press

I dont have daugthers yet but it sick me to see so many young girls flaunting their bodies. I will never allow my daugthers to dress half-naked. I would make sure that my future daughters are well-protected and well-dressed to prevent perverts or pedophiles. :rifle:

I don't have daughters, but I do have nieces. I agree that a lot of the attitude comes from the media and from peers, but parental influence can and does counteract that. I see it in my nieces. They are exposed to the same outside influence as manyof their friends, but thanks to parental influence, have very different attitudes about things such as this. Their parents take time to explain not just that they object to certain types of clothing, but exactly why they object, and the message that dressing in certain ways gives.

I don't have daughters, but I do have nieces. I agree that a lot of the attitude comes from the media and from peers, but parental influence can and does counteract that. I see it in my nieces. They are exposed to the same outside influence as manyof their friends, but thanks to parental influence, have very different attitudes about things such as this. Their parents take time to explain not just that they object to certain types of clothing, but exactly why they object, and the message that dressing in certain ways gives.

Yep, I have a baby girl, I would not want her to dress thos girls or act ilke those girls. I do agree it have a lot to do with the media exposing too much sexually and the way they dress and the lanaguges they are using around young girls. Too much of that kind of exposure can cause lot of problems. I agree wtih you.:cool:

My daughter does not and will not wear inappropriate clothes. Period. I really dislike the pants that have words on the back which draws people to look at the butt in order to read it. No way.

My daughter does not and will not wear inappropriate clothes. Period. I really dislike the pants that have words on the back which draws people to look at the butt in order to read it. No way.

I am so against those too.

Anyways, my daughter will be 11 soon and she has not shown any desire to wear sexy clothes. I think it is because her dad and I have instilled values in her making her have a good self-esteem about herself. I wouldnt allow it anyway.

Parents who allow those for 7 to 8 year old girls are really asking for trouble in the long run.

I agree that it should be blamed on the parents. It's the parents that's buying the clothes for their kids.

yep, I seen that,, I even seen teenage boys wearing bagging pants showing their understood is not a appropiate way to dress. Geez

When i was at walmart i saw they have major padded bras WITH underwire for little girls! Little girls DONT NEED UNDERWIRE. they dont need to push up anything and they dont need padding to make their boobs look bigger!!! It absolutely disgusts me!

I agree that it should be blamed on the parents. It's the parents that's buying the clothes for their kids.

:ty::ty: It is the job of the PARENT to regulate what goes on in their child's life. Stop balming the media and other outside sources. As the parent you are the influence!!!!!!! When will society become accountable for thier actions and stop placing blame on others?

Ok.........back off my soap box but still not letting my daghter wear anything that's not appropriate!!!!

:ty::ty: It is the job of the PARENT to regulate what goes on in their child's life. Stop balming the media and other outside sources. As the parent you are the influence!!!!!!! When will society become accountable for thier actions and stop placing blame on others?

Ok.........back off my soap box but still not letting my daghter wear anything that's not appropriate!!!!

LOL SOAP BOX?? I got boxes full of soap if u need more? hheee just kidding. :giggle:

Not always, sometimes the girls would go shopping with their friends, and buy clothes that aren't appropriate is not the fault of the parents. Girls can hide their clothes from their parents and change into them at school. It has happened.

When it comes right down to it, it is the parent's responsibility to moniter the exposure young children are receiving from certain types of media influence, as well as to take the time to counteract the negative influences, as well. Children have to be taught that certtain images give certain impressions, and unless they want to be perceived int hat light, it is best not to portaray themselves that way. Unfortunately, people rely on heurtistics to a large degree to form opinions of others. Our children need to be aware of that. It is always fair and accurate? Of course not. But it is a simple fact of life.

Not always, sometimes the girls would go shopping with their friends, and buy clothes that aren't appropriate is not the fault of the parents. Girls can hide their clothes from their parents and change into them at school. It has happened.

For once, I have to agree with you and that is true that is not always just the parents fault to be blamed. Peace. :dizzy:

You know what I HATE HATE HATE? The message is that being sexee is being so empowering. SO many of the girls are gonna grow up and have this superfical view of sex. Like come ON.............let a kid be a kid. Then again maybe some of it has to do with the fact that this generation has been spoonfed superfical Disney Princess crap.

It still the parents' fault if they are allowing their daughters to go shopping without grownup supervision before they become teenagers.

More schools are now tightening dress codes or requiring uniforms, so those clothes would not be allowed at school either.

Parents need to be more aware of what their kids are doing, buying, wearing, messaging, and "hiding" in their rooms.

My DD informed me the other day that one of her classmates wears a training bra and they are only 4!! :shock: My DD asked she could get one and I firmly said NO! My god the pressure society puts on girls these days. It makes me sad.

My DD informed me the other day that one of her classmates wears a training bra and they are only 4!! :shock: My DD asked she could get one and I firmly said NO! My god the pressure society puts on girls these days. It makes me sad.
Oh, my! What on earth do the parents think they are "training" them for? It can't be anything good.

What the heck does a 4 year old have to train?:giggle::giggle: That is absurd!

My sister was one of those girls that needed a bra at age 7...she hated it. People made fun of her. Even up to age 11!

Back