Severely hearing

smeske

Reaction score
Today I spoke with a deaf person for the very first time, or rather, I signed with. She seemed like she was humoring my child-like wonder with ASL, but it was no matter to me. I've never had anyone to sign with, not really. It's hard not to become discouraged when you see other people signing and you believe yours to be elementary. All I need is practice! Day in and day out! It's very difficult when I'm so severely hearing :hmm: I'm not sure how this website works just yet but if you're looking for a signing partner, count me in!

It's a shame you're so far away because I am in the exact same position. I'm severely hearing impaired, I have no real deaf friends. My sign language skills are mediocre, I have no one to practice with but I live in absolute wonder of the language and am convinced I could be a true friend to another deaf person.

Skype my friends, or Oovoo or MSN Messenger or Facetime on an IPhone. It is possible. Let nothing stand in your way!:h5:

Me too!

I am about to start asl classes. i am a hearing girl. i go to a hearing school. but i have a problem. no one in my private christian school respects or understands deaf culture. in fact i am made fun of when i attempt to sign while i speak just to get comfortable with the whole thing. i was just wondering if someone, anyone could give me good information with little opinion as possible. this is so i can explain my side using fact. Thanks!:grouphug:

Well, I'll give you this, it's a nice avatar and a great topic headline.

Here is my advice: If you find the person you sign with to be condescending, know that they are not the only people who can sign and that you can certainly find someone with a higher IQ.

I've found depending on stupid people to be a total waste of time.

Back