Setting up BB 8320 as a modem is easy. Here is how!

jack55

Reaction score
The BB 8320 Curve used as a modem on a Dell XPS Vista OS notebook works great! I got it to work with BB version 4.3
A little slower than Clearwire wireless, but I can live with it. :D
:bb:
Pretty simple to setup with T-Mobile & BB 8320.
After purchacing T-Mobile's Data plan for $20, (needed to use BB as a modem) All I had to do was hook up the 8320 via USB, then turn on the Desktop manager, then in modem/properties/advance/ and in the "Extra intialization commands" box, type in +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" then type in *99# as the phone number in Dial-up modem connection, then VIOLA, good to go!

Well, I'm a happy camper now! (y)

I'm in the outskirts of Tacoma at a doctors office in the car waiting for wifey to get done with her doctors appointment... so I'm testing the BB connection in the car with no wireless connections in sight. Typing this thread from the notebook now... Works like a charm! 8-)

I hope this helps someone! :fingersx:

Last edited:
I needed to expand on the above instructions a bit. I wouldn't let me edit it so I have it here. This was for VISTA setup.

After purchacing T-Mobile's Data plan for $20, (needed to use BB as a modem) All I had to do was hook up the 8320 via USB, then turn on the Desktop manager, In control panel double click phone & modem options then Modem/properties/advance/ then click change settings, then click Advance, then enter the string +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" in the "Extra intialization commands" box and apply. then type in *99# as the phone number in Dial-up modem connection, then VIOLA, good to go!

Back