Senior Citizen Thread

My husband and I were discussing what to do with this house. Do we sell it and move into a bigger home but then again when all the kids are grown up and out of the house, we wonder if the space will be wasted and have to sell again to get a smaller place. My house is the perfect size for a couple but right now 6 people live here so we are between a rock and a hard place right now. Do we spend a lot of money on updating it and stay here but crowded or fix it up a little bit and buy a bigger place but in about 8 years, all the kids would have grown up.

Do you make use of all the space you have? Is it a lot of work to maintain it? My mom lives alone in a 3 bedroom house and she wants to sell it so badly and retire in a smaller home but her house value is too low right now (in Phx, AZ where the housing market suffered badly from the recession).
Move out some of the 6 people from your current home, then update. ;)

I will be 81 years old before long and I live all alone in a large 3 bedroom home and I do very well. I drive and do all of my own shopping, etc. I can imagine that it might be difficult for SOME but many of us do very well. Mind over matter!
I wish that were true. I try to fight what Parkinson's Disease is doing to my health but mind over matter doesn't always work.

Move out some of the 6 people from your current home, then update. ;)

Oh no, my friend cannot afford to live alone so that means putting her and her two kids on the street. I just cant do that and they don't give us problems.

Her rent money is helping me pay off my debts faster so it is nice.

Shel, since you seem to be leaning that way, it might be a better idea for your later years to take out an 8 year to pay back remodeling project now.....?

My husband was thinking of that.

Oh no, my friend cannot afford to live alone so that means putting her and her two kids on the street. I just cant do that and they don't give us problems.

Her rent money is helping me pay off my debts faster so it is nice.
If you could help her find somewhere else to live, you would have enough space in your house and not need to buy a bigger house. You don't have to put her out on the street.

Otherwise, if you have to buy a bigger house, is it for her and her family, or is it for you and your family? Will your friend live with you forever?

Maybe you could apply to be on this show:

Love It or List It

I wish that were true. I try to fight what Parkinson's Disease is doing to my health but mind over matter doesn't always work.

How true that is ! I had a 90 years old client that had Parkinson's Disease and she was a very strong minded woman like you and she tried her best fight it but no matter ho hard she tried her mind could not beat the Disease . Some damn fool of a health aide did not do her laundry and put a winter nightgown on her then stuck her in front the window with the sun beating down on her. By the time I got o her apartment the poor woman was almost passed out ! I had to wash her face with cool water and put something cooler on her and make her lunch . She could not chew food anymore so I made her ice cream drink and put extra ice cream in. She told me that she felt better , the poor woman was not able to move b/c she got so overheated and having Parkinson's Disease made matter worst. She looked 100 % better when I had to leave . There was no way in hell I would had told my client it was all in her mind. I really loved that woman .

How true that is ! I had a 90 years old client that had Parkinson's Disease and she was a very strong minded woman like you and she tried her best fight it but no matter ho hard she tried her mind could not beat the Disease . Some damn fool of a health aide did not do her laundry and put a winter nightgown on her then stuck her in front the window with the sun beating down on her. By the time I got o her apartment the poor woman was almost passed out ! I had to wash her face with cool water and put something cooler on her and make her lunch . She could not chew food anymore so I made her ice cream drink and put extra ice cream in. She told me that she felt better , the poor woman was not able to move b/c she got so overheated and having Parkinson's Disease made matter worst. She looked 100 % better when I had to leave . There was no way in hell I would had told my client it was all in her mind. I really loved that woman .
I'm only Stage 2, so not yet so bad off as that lady. Of course, I'm not yet 90 years old, either. But I know what you mean. :)

I'm only Stage 2, so not yet so bad off as that lady. Of course, I'm not yet 90 years old, either. But I know what you mean. :)

My client is no longer alive , I had clients at difference stages of Parkinson disease , my 90 yo client was a real fighter .

Back