Selling on Ebay possible? No, it's not.

Damma

Reaction score
I recently re-joined Ebay to start selling again after a long absence. I can hear fine, I can speak fine. I do have trouble using the phone, but that is irrelevant here. I read where Ebay does not offer any alternate communication for the Deaf Community.
BELIEVE EVERY WORD...They don't.
After reading about Ebay's recent "victory" over an Ebay sellers claim that Ebay goes out of their way to prevent deaf sellers, I wanted to see for myself. For seven LONG and expensive weeks, I jumped through all the many many hoops, the privacy invasions, bank account password requests, paypal requests, etc....They accepted me and voila! My account opens, I start selling. When told I now have to call them to sell more than 10 items, I tried, for 6 WEEKS STRAIGHT, to communicate with them by any other means. I said I can't use a phone, period, to every link i could find. I never said I was hard of hearing, deaf or unable to speak. I even went to an out of Country Ebay customer support to ask them to contact Ebay in the U.S. and tell them to allow contact by text, email or chat. Not ONE single response, Not ONE. But they continued to charge fees. ps....I also read that "All links for relay or special needs access either dead or hung up on". Absolutely true. I couldn't believe it. When someone says Ebay is discriminatory. That doesn't even BEGIN to describe them. I know now just what the community goes through. I wanted to pull my hair out.

Yeah, they charged me fees for the longest time, I basically responded once to their collections people by telling them to go have sexual intercourse with themselves and ignored the problem away. Yeah, they don't like IP relay at all or TTY at all that I could see.

that terrible,i did not know that happens with ebay as I refuse to use it

that terrible,i did not know that happens with ebay as I refuse to use it

Actually, I think Everyone should start using it at once. Really jam up the works for them. Now THAT would make me SMILE! :ty:

I recently re-joined Ebay to start selling again after a long absence. I can hear fine, I can speak fine. I do have trouble using the phone, but that is irrelevant here. I read where Ebay does not offer any alternate communication for the Deaf Community.
BELIEVE EVERY WORD...They don't.
After reading about Ebay's recent "victory" over an Ebay sellers claim that Ebay goes out of their way to prevent deaf sellers, I wanted to see for myself. For seven LONG and expensive weeks, I jumped through all the many many hoops, the privacy invasions, bank account password requests, paypal requests, etc....They accepted me and voila! My account opens, I start selling. When told I now have to call them to sell more than 10 items, I tried, for 6 WEEKS STRAIGHT, to communicate with them by any other means. I said I can't use a phone, period, to every link i could find. I never said I was hard of hearing, deaf or unable to speak. I even went to an out of Country Ebay customer support to ask them to contact Ebay in the U.S. and tell them to allow contact by text, email or chat. Not ONE single response, Not ONE. But they continued to charge fees. ps....I also read that "All links for relay or special needs access either dead or hung up on". Absolutely true. I couldn't believe it. When someone says Ebay is discriminatory. That doesn't even BEGIN to describe them. I know now just what the community goes through. I wanted to pull my hair out.

You are not alone.

Deaf woman's eBay complaint highlights dispute over Web access for disabled - CNN.com

I have eBay account since long time ago where it doesn't required me to call. :D

If you are just a buyer- you don't have to worry about calling. If you sell only once in a great while- I don't think that becomes a requirement either. I have been with eBay since...oh wow.. more than 10 years at least-- 15? Mostly buyer but sold a few things independently too over the years but it's been more than five years since I last sold anything. Phone calls never came into the picture.

Thinking about selling a big ticket item I have but their new flat 10% fee taken off your final sale price worries me.. "Final fee" or whatever it is. eBay finds and will always find a way to nickel and dime to death the poor average joe who is not using eBay as an income method...

I tried to register today as a seller (long time buyer) with ebay and I couldn't believe that the only way to register as a seller is to use a phone. No work around for deaf people, nothing!

Unbelievable. How are they getting away with this. No email address to send in a complaint or even ask a question either.

Am I the only one?

Because someone would need to have the money to sue eBay for ADA and civil rights violations....
That's the only way to affect change on companies this big.

It would probably have to be a class action suit. Sometimes lawyers take those on without a fee for contingency payout.

I don't know if NAD has anything on it.

Back