Selfish Grandma

zookeeper4321

Reaction score
I got so mad at my mom today. I have decided after much deliberation and expermentation to focus on ASL for Little G. My mother said I shouldn't do that or send him to ISD because he can only talk to people who know ASL. Then learn it!!!!! This is a very intelligent woman who is in school administration. It's not like she can't handle it. I know it's hard I'm still struggling but I will do anything for Little G. The other issue is I know she still thinks he can learn to talk and go the her school system and be "normal". I'm so f***ing sick of people not accepting him the way he is. He is a wonderful, intelligent, funny, happy toddler who happens to be Deaf and communicate with sign. If you don't like that BITE ME!

You might want to tell your mother that learning ASL does not mean the kid's going to be illiterate, and the more I learn, the more I'm thinking literacy is the biggest driver, not necessarily speech. Being able to read and write fluently helps one to go far in society...and if you want proof of my point, look at what a hindrance illiteracy is to hearing people in our society.

Rose Immortal said:
You might want to tell your mother that learning ASL does not mean the kid's going to be illiterate, and the more I learn, the more I'm thinking literacy is the biggest driver, not necessarily speech. Being able to read and write fluently helps one to go far in society...and if you want proof of my point, look at what a hindrance illiteracy is to hearing people in our society.

I get that. My 1st husband is dyslexic. He has a very high IQ but reads on a 6th grade level. It has always been a major handicap for him. I may need to educate her about that.

Back