Self Moving Trucks

FINALLY my husband is convinced that driving cross-country is better and saves money (even saves time! most moving companies said it will take them 6 days just to transport, excluded the time we take to pack up and them to pick it up et cetera... JESUS!)

So now we are trying to figure out which route is the best. Many folks told us to AVOID Texas at any costs... is it really THAT bad?

OPTIONS:
1) Go north on 5 to Sacramento, then take the 80 all way to Salt Lake City, then the 74 to Indiana then swtitch to 70 which will take us to D.C.

2) 15 north to Las Vegas and Utah, then take the 70 all way to Illnois where I should take 64 (in St Louis, it appears) which will turn into 79 along the way and land us in D.C.

3) 15 north, stop in Victorville and take the 40 which will go through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (the short distance of Texas-- in the "stack" of the state), and change to the 44 in Oklahoma City, which will take us to St Louis and there we will take 64 which will turn into 70 and bam-- D.C.!

4) 15 north to Victorville, take 40 (same as above), and just keep going past Oklahoma and then in Tennessee take the 81 which will go to VA and Maryland and there will be some small highways leading to D.C.

WHICH ROUTE IS BETTER??? We are not going to sight-see so we will just floor it all the way. We will sight-see on our way back home to San Diego in four years...

Somebody told us that we should take the most flattest route so we should go northward to Sacramento and cut it across the America's Midwest and land in D.C. with no problems.

If you're looking to floor it and don't care about scenery, the logical choice would be to take whichever route takes the shortest time. I can't imagine a trip from San Diego to Sacramento saving anytime. My guess would be I-40 would be the quickest, but then again, I've never drove coast to coast. Whichever way, don't forget some road trip music... oh wait. :doh:

Just a second thought, if I were taking a cross country road trip, I'd definitely take some time to take in the sites. It's not like everyone has the chance to take a trip like that.

I agree with the flattest route and I dont know why avoiding Texas is a must. Sure it is a BORING drive thru Texas but I think it is cost effective as far as gas is concerned. I have made 3 cross-country road trips and that one u just described is the best as far as keeping gas costs low. Dont want to go thru Colorado..high mountains and steep drives.

I wouldnt go thru Midwest due to mountains...my brother took that way and he said too many winding roads and time consuming but BEAUTIFUL though. Up to u.

I do love to drive in mountain area, even road on steeper.

Also, it's fun to drive. :)

I agree with the flattest route and I dont know why avoiding Texas is a must. Sure it is a BORING drive thru Texas but I think it is cost effective as far as gas is concerned. I have made 3 cross-country road trips and that one u just described is the best as far as keeping gas costs low. Dont want to go thru Colorado..high mountains and steep drives.

I wouldnt go thru Midwest due to mountains...my brother took that way and he said too many winding roads and time consuming but BEAUTIFUL though. Up to u.

Avoid Texas? Theres nothing really wrong with Texas except that it is a LONG and boring ride, but very very flat -- and more reason to keep driving thru! Also, you did mention that you're not interested in sight-seeing -- there's not much to see in this area :)

I second with concerns about driving thru Colorado and Utah... I've made a few cross-country trips myself, and personally I would go across Texas... just my 2-cent. I will miss you dearly!

Back