Selective abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sighs. :dizzy:

*headdesk*

I give up. ^_^;;

I find it to be a greater evil in, knowingly, introducing a greatly decapitated person into society than to, unknowingly, introduce. This is an abortion issue? To me, it's a human issue. Would you throw a child, handcuffed, into the water and demand, "Sink or swim!"?

Those who parade theirselves to be "pro-life" would want a person to have that kind of life . . . handcuffed and in the water. Why? So that they have conversation fodder? Those who declare "pro-choice" would narrow their arguement upon womens' right. For me, it's a human decision: a better life would be found through those who really cared in the first place.

:gpost:

I think you meant incapacitating :laugh2:. A disability that severely hinder your ability to function in life.

Thank you - that is right word. Either way, though, I think I made my point clear?

Human life begins at conception, that's a fact. There's NOTHING to debate.

The real issue is personhood. What rights should a fetus be entitled to? For me, it's quite simple. As long as a fetus is inside a woman's womb, the woman carrying it is the one to decide if the fetus should be a person or not. That woman is the ONLY person to bestow that personhood right to her fetus, not you or me. But when a woman bestows THAT right to a fetus, she ASSUMES full responsibility for the health of her fetus.

As for "soul", it's completely meaningless. It's a religious belief and even religious organizations are divided on what "soul" or even when it is formed. There's no proof of "soul" or "spirit." If you oppose abortion because you believe soul begins at conception, that's fine but you cannot impose your religious values on others at all. It's anti-American; the First Amendment says that we have religious freedom and that's it. Religious arguments are NEVER accepted in courts and will never be.

The real issue is personhood. What rights should a fetus be entitled to? For me, it's quite simple. As long as a fetus is inside a woman's womb, the woman carrying it is the one to decide if the fetus should be a person or not. That woman is the ONLY person to bestow that personhood right to her fetus, not you or me. But when a woman bestows THAT right to a fetus, she ASSUMES full responsibility for the health of her fetus.

As for "soul", it's completely meaningless. It's a religious belief and even religious organizations are divided on what "soul" or even when it is formed. There's no proof of "soul" or "spirit." If you oppose abortion because you believe soul begins at conception, that's fine but you cannot impose your religious values on others at all. It's anti-American; the First Amendment says that we have religious freedom and that's it. Religious arguments are NEVER accepted in courts and will never be.

Is it life, or is it the potential for life?

It is life. Just like an amoeba is life.

That does not mean our government guarantees it the right to a full span of its life.

It is life. Just like an amoeba is life.

That does not mean our government guarantees it the right to a full span of its life.

The more relevent question is not when life begins, but when personhood begins. That is the determination used for the decision of the legality of women's right to choose.

And, an amoeba sustains independent life. It is as complete an entity as it will ever be. A fetus is not. Nor an embryo.

If you assmue all pro-lifers are religious people, then can you explain to me this why are some pro-lifers are a non-religious people?:

Being Pro-life is not a conservative issue
Reciprocal Links to Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League

With that reason, I keep seeing people assumed those all pro-lifers are religious people here. Not all pro-lifers are religious people or Christians...

If you assmue all pro-lifers are religious people, then can you explain to me this why are some pro-lifers are a non-religious people?:

Being Pro-life is not a conservative issue
Reciprocal Links to Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League

With that reason, I keep seeing people assumed those all pro-lifers are religious people here. Not all pro-lifers are religious people or Christians...

Not ALL but majority.

Religion, Politics Inform Americans' Views on Abortion

PRINCETON, NJ -- A Gallup analysis of American public opinion on abortion finds that attitudes are strongly related to both religion and politics. Christians have stronger anti-abortion views than non-Christians, and those who frequently attend church have stronger anti-abortion views than those who attend less frequently. These relationships hold up even within partisan groups. While Republicans as a whole are more likely than Democrats to have anti-abortion views, identifiers with both parties who frequently attend church have stronger anti-abortion views than those who attend less frequently.

more things to read if it strikes you fancy
Public Opinion About Abortion -- An In-Depth Review
Public Divided on "Pro-Choice" vs. "Pro-Life" Abortion Labels
List of Gallup's Abortion Topics

Sheesh... Still, not all pro-lifers are Christians or religious people.

Rest my case. End of discussion.

EDIT: Let me tell you something...
Someone I know who was used to be Humanist but people insisted her that she couldn't be pro-lifer if she was a non-religious person. They and she had a battle for a while, evenually they successfuly "defeated" her so her religion view is now changed from Humanist to Wiccan Islam. The girl told me that people expected all pro-lifers are Christians. Yeah, freakin' right. =/

That's why I bring it up to point out that is not all pro-lifers are religious people...

Sheesh... Still, not all pro-lifers are Christians or religious people.

Rest my case. End of discussion.

I know but I don't see anybody saying "all" as in 100%. Just that majority of pro-lifers' reasoning are of a strong religious belief. :dunno:

I know but I don't see anybody saying "all" as in 100%. Just that majority of pro-lifers' reasoning are of a strong religious belief. :dunno:

**nodding** And, not all pro-choicers are non-religious people, either. To assume they are is also a mistake.

A human life. At conception, a new human DNA is created by fertilization. Sperms and eggs serve as "potentials" for life.

So, that SINGLE cell embryo has DNA and that DNA serves as a blueprint for life. There's no "potential" - it's already there.

But do you think we should give that single cell the same rights that we have been granted by our Constitution when we were "born?" I'd say hell no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back