Seeking literature on late sudden deafness

SimplyMints

Reaction score
Though I don't technically qualify as late "sudden" deaf, my psychological preparation for a complete lack of audio input (or lack of it) seems to have left me with the psychological and possible physiological side effects of it. I asked my doctor about it, and he handed me a very small booklet about it. I swear, that booklet is so wimpy that if I were to somehow successfully swat a fly with it, the fly would survive without injury.

I know the condition is extremely rare, but I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a good source of information about the psychological and potential physiological effects of sudden late total deafness.

I would do a Google search for "physiological/psychological effects of sudden deafness" and see what you come up with.

I would do a Google search for "physiological/psychological effects of sudden deafness" and see what you come up with.

Actually, that's the first thing I did, lol! Unfortunately, all I got were a bunch of out-dated links and one that wanted me to buy a PDF file before I knew what was in it.

Actually, that's the first thing I did, lol! Unfortunately, all I got were a bunch of out-dated links and one that wanted me to buy a PDF file before I knew what was in it.

I used to co-facilitate a support group for the deafblind and have a variety of informational resources on deafness. I'll see if I can find anything in my material. If I do, I'll post it here.

I used to co-facilitate a support group for the deafblind and have a variety of informational resources on deafness. I'll see if I can find anything in my material. If I do, I'll post it here.

I'm just experiencing a lot of unexpected things, and I'm not sure if they're a result of sudden deafness or my oral surgery since both occurred very recently. They may even be the result of something totally different, or a combination of some sort. They seem to be psychological in nature, causing me to feel depressed or scared, but not of or about anything particular. However, since I've quit coffee and started taking motrin regularly for my jaw pain, I've been feeling much better! I just hope I haven't developed psychological dependency on pain medication because of the strong medication I was on for the days following my oral surgery. I know that sudden total hearing loss is extremely rare at my age, but at the same time, I'm kind of surprised at how difficult it is to get information about it.

Back