seeking a deaf community

darkferret85

Reaction score
Greetings,

my name is Josh, and I am deaf. I am 26 years old. I currently live in Bedford, Indiana. My account here isn't new, but I want to introduce myself again. I need some discussions and information. Perhaps I can make some friends here.

Deaf community here in Indiana isn't great. Rochester, NY is better than here, but I don't go to back there. That place is depressing. My point is that I am seeking an active deaf community somewhere around here.

My first thought is Chicago. A friend of mine suggested me. It's 4 hours away from here, and it's not bad. I don't want to be far away from my family. I really want to relocate to a new location which it has an awesome deaf community.

Why do I want to get in a deaf community? I've been alone all of the time, and barely have few deaf friends here. I cannot find a deaf woman around here. I've been on several dating websites for the deaf for almost 4 years, and I haven't got any luck. My heart is telling me that I am ready for a real relationship.

Do you people think Chicago is a great start for me? Do you have any suggestion for another location near me like up to 4 or 5 hours away?

If Chicago is my only destination, I'll be happy to make friends here on this website who live in Chicago. I'll be happy to chat and discuss with people, and give me a tour of Chicago. If you want to chat with me on Skype or AIM, please send me a private message. I won't be willing to provide my information here in this post.

Thank you for understanding this. Have a great evening!

Josh

My girlfriend lives close to Grand Rapids, MI. There are some deaf events out there, but deaf community is not that big. Chicago is better for deaf interaction, but at end, it's about the area.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not "married" to deaf community. I've a hearing girlfriend.

If you happen to be in NW Indiana area, maybe we would cross path. I pass the area all the times driving from Chicago to Michigan.

You mentioned relationships, so I hope this helps...

I met my (hearing) girlfriend through a site called singlesnet.com. I never thought I'd meet anyone at all in this way. There's also a site called okcupid.com. I use neither of these any more, because, well, I'm hitched :) but what I like about these sites is that they allow you to customize your profile and present yourself the way you want to be presented. If you strongly prefer only to date deaf women, you'll be able to say that. If you have no preference, you can make it clear that you're deaf and you're looking for people who are not afraid of it. You never know, right?

Of course, if online dating isn't your thing, this isn't that helpful. It can be very challenging to meet people even when you're only looking for friends.

All the best. Everyone should find someone that makes them happy. :)

I've been on okcupid.com for few years, and I haven't got any luck. I just have a feeling that most women don't accept my deafness, or perhaps I am not just attractive enough. I don't mind dating either deaf or hearing person. I am going to try singlesnet.com now, but I am certain my chance is zero percent.

Hi Josh. :)

The Washington, D.C. area has a large deaf community, obviously, but it seems like you don't want to move too far away from family. I totally relate to that. I hope you can make friends here and find what you're looking for in real life. :wave:

I am aware there is a huge deaf community in Washington, D.C., and my friend said I am out of the league there for women. I am not a wild person, and I rarely socialize. I don't drink beers. I met deaf people in the D.C., and they said I am no fun if I don't drink. I prefer country, and I grew up as a farmer.

do you people think Indianapolis is a good place? I used to live there about 6 months for school and job. I couldn't find or meet any deaf people there.

suprised Indianpolis wouldn't be a good place....that's where Indiana School for the Deaf is.....and its a good Deaf school lol.

Back