See the Sound: Visual Phonics.

On the flip side, I can see where the ability to sign would be useful in many situations for hearing people. Like when one is intubed, for example. :wiggle:

Excellent point!

Intubated----medical procedure, tube down the throat.
OUCH!!.. .yeah signing would be helpful if one had a tube (or anything else) jammed down their throat. The reality for most people is that they would grap a pencil and paper though. I don't think learning sign language for those rare (if ever) occasions would really pay off in the long run.

OUCH!!.. .yeah signing would be helpful if one had a tube (or anything else) jammed down their throat. The reality for most people is that they would grap a pencil and paper though. I don't think learning sign language for those rare (if ever) occasions would really pay off in the long run.

Cueing would work, no foreign language learning going on. :)

loml... if you know what it's like to be entubed then how can you expect to have good mouth movement with a tube down your throat? I would imagine it would be difficult if even possible.

loml... if you know what it's like to be entubed then how can you expect to have good mouth movement with a tube down your throat? I would imagine it would be difficult if even possible.

Thank you, rd. That was my point. Like you, I thought that fact was obvious!:giggle:

Hope this clears things up RD

RD - There are three types of intubation for the trachea.

1. via the mouth
2. via the nose
3. cricothyroid membrane - for men, it can be located just below the Adam's apple,(it is the soft spot).

Chances are that if an individual is having to be intubated via the mouth or the crothyroid membrane (you may have seen this on ER, they are unconcious, it is an emergency or for surgey purposes), they are unable obviously to sign or cue.

If an individual is intubated via the nose, done after the patient is stable, even with a tracheotomy (which is done by a surgeon), the tubes are taped to the nose and the throat. Lets face it here RD, people in these situations are usually quit ill, any form of communication would be wonderful, but I certainly would not expect these same people to learn a foreign languge. Small mouth movements for cueing are the least of their worries.

RD - There are three types of intubation for the trachea.

1. via the mouth
2. via the nose
3. cricothyroid membrane - for men, it can be located just below the Adam's apple,(it is the soft spot).

Chances are that if an individual is having to be intubated via the mouth or the crothyroid membrane (you may have seen this on ER, they are unconcious, it is an emergency or for surgey purposes), they are unable obviously to sign or cue.

If an individual is intubated via the nose, done after the patient is stable, even with a tracheotomy (which is done by a surgeon), the tubes are taped to the nose and the throat. Lets face it here RD, people in these situations are usually quit ill, any form of communication would be wonderful, but I certainly would not expect these same people to learn a foreign languge. Small mouth movements for cueing are the least of their worries.

Actually, the tube through the nose, as you describe it, is a naso-gastric tube, and runs from the nasal cavity into the digestive cavity. A tracheostomy is a procedure where the trachea is surgically opened and a tube leading to the outside is put in place to bypass an obstruction or to gain access to an airway. Tracheostomies are rarely performed by surgeons, as it is an emergency procedure. Patients can be intubated through the mouth as an emergency procedure, but generally if intubated through the mouth, the tube will be staying in place for an extended period of time.

Certainly IS!

On the flip side, I can see where the ability to sign would be useful in many situations for hearing people. Like when one is intubed, for example. :wiggle:

My husband and I have more fun with this. I have seen signs of envy
from hearing people when we signed to each other from car to car(while
waiting in traffic NOT DRIVING) or on the tractor when it was too noisy
to hear or not wanting to wake the kids talking, or asking about a toy
we might buy for a birthday. Of course the kids sign better than we do
now so the only thing we get away with in that way is finger spelling
in front of the youngest. But even he is sounding out 3 letter words that
I spell out so I may have to learn Spanish Sign Language just to stay
ahead of them! Is there such thing as Rapper Sign Language?:afro:

Or when choking! It would be cool to sign the word HELP! HELP! and someone understood.

How about when watching a movie? (Not in the dark) you can comment without disturbing others.

When I am on the phone, I will sign with my son to answert his questions. Not being rude to neither him nor my caller! :)

I think Buffalo meant more people with trachs intubed. And as a matter of fact, there are kids who use Sign as their first language who have trachs.
Sign isn't just for dhh kids...........St. Rita's even has a program for kids with apraxia!

Back