See, it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your statements need to be qualified with "some". Not all get the "great results" of which you speak.

I did in the "trendy" sentence at the end, but forgot in the next sentence. My error.

I understand that my blog is public, and I am completely comfortable with that. I started this blog very early on in our journey with Christian. Christian's hearing loss was never cut and dry, and we went through so much as first-time parents. We were featured on HearingExchange for a post that I wrote for parents with newly diagnosed kids. I've had parents contact me from all over the world, and I have a network of folks that I have been able to connect with thanks to my blog. It is public domain now. I get it.

What I am not comfortable with is the fact that my family was COMPLETELY misrepresented here, and I had no idea about it. I had no opportunity to clarify anything here while everyone was talking about it. I am sure each of you would want the same opportunity should it have been your child or yourself.

What I am not comfortable with is the fact that my family was COMPLETELY misrepresented here, and I had no idea about it. I had no opportunity to clarify anything here while everyone was talking about it. I am sure each of you would want the same opportunity should it have been your child or yourself.

I don't blame you for getting frustrated with the way the topic of your childs deafness was represented from the start here. I believe it had to do with a recent study posted saying 'some' babies/toddlers recover 'some' hearing (unaided). Your blog was supposedly proof that hearing does recover, having read it I'd say it's proof that hard work and one to one interaction can improve what he is hearing with HA's but his hearing unaided hasn't changed. Not sure why some people read it as his hearing improved.

It's nice to see that your son is responding to the extent he is with his HA's. But since he has maxed out the strongest aides I can see a reason to look into a CI. His hearing is not coming back and he does well with a HA the possibilities with an implant could be even better. Yeah there are some that don't do as well, (be they adult or children) but I very much doubt that anyone gets nothing.

The controversy with children seems to be that some still do not do well with listening skills and fall behind when raised orally only (and some do and many don't, much probably depends on how well the parents are at getting needed services in school through the IEP process), I look at the CI as a wonderful tool for parents as it helps them keep their children at home and raise them themselves vs sending them to a boarding school, not everyone can move to be closer to a deaf school.

It also opens up the world of extended family to a deaf/hoh person because if they understand and can speak they can interact with their extended family, especially those they only see infrequently, without having to sit there like a lump waiting for an immediate family member to translate. (remember that those who don't have contact quite often are even less likely to take the time to learn a language that they will rarely use and probably don't have the time or the needed native speaker or instructor to learn well enough to use) Even if a child needs to be educated using sign language just being able to interact in the world in general (the one that hears and speaks) in a way that is spontaneous is a plus. (and yes I'm sure that there are those Deaf persons who disagree with me)

As you go through the IEps while he's growing up 'listen' to him (actions speak louder then words at times, :)) and remember that is a choice you've made seems to not be right you can call a meeting to change the IEP at any time, nothing is irreversible.

Good luck the testing and whatever decision you make for his communication in life. :)

I still fail to see how it can be misrepresentation when the link to the blog was provided in the OP. Everything that has been discussed after that was based on the link.

I do have to say that I never expected my sitetracker on my blog to lead me to a page where people that I never met where analyzing how I am raising my child. In all honesty, I was completely shocked. I do appreciate those folks on here who do know me and my family from our blog, Listen-Up, and Ci-Circle who tried to clarify some things. I really, really appreciate that. I also appreciate the folks on this board who are trying to help me understand where all this was coming from.

Lastly, I would strongly urge everyone on this message board to use caution before you boldly link to another family's blog without contacting them first. You all were talking about my toddler son, just 14 months old. He's just a baby, and folks were analyzing him like he was some test-case. He's a little boy who is into Elmo and loves trucks. Much of the conversation on this thread was about things about my son that were flat out not true at all.

Tina
livelaughlovefamily.blogspot.com

Hey, I'm the one that brought your blog link on it, I want to say I'm sorry I didn't mean this to turn out way it did, I stopped posting after I got clarified about what it meant by christian hearing with ha so I deleted my subscription to this thread, I didn't think this'd turn out to be ugly. I'm CI user, I'm not against CI implanting on children IF they got AB test in brain and genetics testing done and both proved severe to profound deafness. I thought CI on children looked so adorable actually lol. Its like looking at mini cyborg/mini version of me in a way because I have CI.
Hope you can forgive me for using your link I didn't mean to exploit you in any way I loved your site I have your in my blog roll to see update.
:(

I still fail to see how it can be misrepresentation when the link to the blog was provided in the OP. Everything that has been discussed after that was based on the link.

If you read skullchicks original post (which she has now stated in the post following you that she had misunderstood something in the blog so wasn't following the thread she started, in hopes that it'd drop down the list and disapear I imagine) and actually go read the blog you can see where the 'misrepresentation' is.

I stopped posting after I got clarified about what it meant by christian hearing with ha so I deleted my subscription to this thread, I didn't think this'd turn out to be ugly.
:(

Maybe you could ask the moderator what happened to the edit buttons, if you could edit the first post to clarify that you were mistaken perhaps the discussion will cease. :)

Maybe you could ask the moderator what happened to the edit buttons, if you could edit the first post to clarify that you were mistaken perhaps the discussion will cease. :)
The edit button is only good for a limited time after the post is made.

Tina,
I honestly honestly didn't mean to step on your toes or anything.
Sorry if I did......However, I do think that ambigious pediatric canidates, (those who get quite a bit of benifit from has) should be able to help make the decision about whether or not to be implanted. It can be kind of hard to tell how well a kid can hear with has.

Skullchick-I appreciate your apology, thank you.

And to everyone else...I would LOVE for this to be the last post discussing my kid, and my family.

Thanks.

Thread closed at request of Scrapgal and Skullchick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back