Secret Service to unveil new presidential limo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops--you forgot Kennedy's assassination.

that's why I said past several Presidents (8 Presidents since JFK) :laugh2:

lo and behold!!! Found this pix from British news source.

cadillac-one_01.jpg

It's a pix of "cut-out" of Presidential limo with some details. the title is "Cadillac One: The car that thinks it's a tank"
1. Petrol Tank - Armour-plated and filled with specifically designed foam which prevents it from exploding even if it suffers a direct hit
2. Rear Compartment - seats four passengers with glass partition - only Obama has a switch to lower it. Windows larger than on previous presidential cars. panic button installed for Obama to summon help.
3. Doors - armour-plated, eight inches thick and the weight of a cabin door on a Boeing 757 jet
4. Chauffeur - trained by CIA to cope in the most demanding of driving conditions
5. Driver's window - tough enough to withstand armour-piercing bullets. the only window that opens - by just 3 inches - so the driver can pay a toll or talk with secret service agents running alongside (even President has to pay a toll???? ever heard of EZ-Pass?)
6. Bodywork - combination of dual hardness steel, aluminum, titanium, and even ceramic to break up possible projectiles
7. Driver's Compartment - standard steering wheel, but dashboard contains a communication center and GPS tracking system
8. Boot (I think it's a british word for car trunk) - holds oxygen supply and a firefighting system
9. Rear Seats - Obama's seat has an executive package featuring a foldaway desktop, laptop computer with wifi, state of art satellite phone and direct line to VP and the Pentagon
10. Defense Accessories - equipped with night vision cameras and pump-action shotguns. also armed with tear gas cannons. bottles of the president's blood kept on board in case he needs an emergency transfusion
11. Tires - kevlar-reinforced, shred & puncture-resistant, with steel rims underneath, enabling the car to escape at speed even if tires are blasted away
12. Chassis - A reinforced 5-inches steel plate runs under the car for protection in the unlikely event of bomb being placed underneath

Fact File -
Price: 300,000 pounds (british currency) which is $457,017.50
Length: 18 feet
Height: 5 feet 10 inches
Engine: 6.5 litre diesel engine
Max Speed: 60 mph
0-60mph: 15 secs
Fuel consumption: about 8mpg

lo and behold!!! Found this pix from British news source.

cadillac-one_01.jpg

It's a pix of "cut-out" of Presidential limo with some details. the title is "Cadillac One: The car that thinks it's a tank"
1. Petrol Tank - Armour-plated and filled with specifically designed foam which prevents it from exploding even if it suffers a direct hit
2. Rear Compartment - seats four passengers with glass partition - only Obama has a switch to lower it. Windows larger than on previous presidential cars. panic button installed for Obama to summon help.
3. Doors - armour-plated, eight inches thick and the weight of a cabin door on a Boeing 757 jet
4. Chauffeur - trained by CIA to cope in the most demanding of driving conditions
5. Driver's window - tough enough to withstand armour-piercing bullets. the only window that opens - by just 3 inches - so the driver can pay a toll or talk with secret service agents running alongside (even President has to pay a toll???? ever heard of EZ-Pass?)
6. Bodywork - combination of dual hardness steel, aluminum, titanium, and even ceramic to break up possible projectiles
7. Driver's Compartment - standard steering wheel, but dashboard contains a communication center and GPS tracking system
8. Boot (I think it's a british word for car trunk) - holds oxygen supply and a firefighting system
9. Rear Seats - Obama's seat has an executive package featuring a foldaway desktop, laptop computer with wifi, state of art satellite phone and direct line to VP and the Pentagon
10. Defense Accessories - equipped with night vision cameras and pump-action shotguns. also armed with tear gas cannons. bottles of the president's blood kept on board in case he needs an emergency transfusion
11. Tires - kevlar-reinforced, shred & puncture-resistant, with steel rims underneath, enabling the car to escape at speed even if tires are blasted away
12. Chassis - A reinforced 5-inches steel plate runs under the car for protection in the unlikely event of bomb being placed underneath

Fact File -
Price: 300,000 pounds (british currency) which is $457,017.50
Length: 18 feet
Height: 5 feet 10 inches
Engine: 6.5 litre diesel engine
Max Speed: 60 mph
0-60mph: 15 secs
Fuel consumption: about 8mpg

WOW! Amazing! :shock:

I remember one thing. A long time ago when I was a child, I remember my mother telling me that In Russia, when the Secret Service guys ran alongside the car, the crowd laughed.
They LAUGHED.
That is sad, isn't it?

Nice picture, Jiro! Thanks for sharing, interesting!

I remember one thing. A long time ago when I was a child, I remember my mother telling me that In Russia, when the Secret Service guys ran alongside the car, the crowd laughed.
They LAUGHED.
That is sad, isn't it?

Exactly what is sad about that?

What does your answer have to do with my question?

What does the thickest armor in the world do with yours? What in the WORLD are we fighting about? I was referring to President Kennedy touring Russia. Our SS ran alongside his car, something unseen or unheard of in his day. The crowd was piqued. Now, Obama got a freaking TANK. Will he stay in it? I doubt it.
Go, Obama, go!

Last edited:
I like the part about paying the tolls. :lol:

<snip> It's a drawback of having well-secured, well-armored vehicle. </snip>

Another drawback of having a well-armored vehicle if you look at the assassination attempt on Rawhide which was President Reagans code name, was that a gun man shot towards him and his motorcade.

The bullet hit the back door while Rawhide was being pushed in and the bullet ricocheted off the inside section of the door and struck him in the side and caused one of his lungs to collapse.

So sometimes a bulletproof door isn't a good thing but I think that it is more of a benefit then a detriment to the safety of the president.

In essence, he would be a sitting duck without having his car fully armoured.

Another drawback of having a well-armored vehicle if you look at the assassination attempt on Rawhide which was President Reagans code name, was that a gun man shot towards him and his motorcade.

The bullet hit the back door while Rawhide was being pushed in and the bullet ricocheted off the inside section of the door and struck him in the side and caused one of his lungs to collapse.

So sometimes a bulletproof door isn't a good thing but I think that it is more of a benefit then a detriment to the safety of the president.

In essence, he would be a sitting duck without having his car fully armoured.

It was 28 years ago. Lot has greatly improved. I'm sure the current Presidential limo is designed not to cause bullet to ricochet off like Reagan's case but to "safely deflect" the bullets. The old concept was to have toughest skin to stop the bullet but has the ricochet issue. Now the new concept is to deflect the force all over in order to reduce the impact/penetration - hence... Kevlar armor (much less ricochet)

It was 28 years ago. Lot has greatly improved. I'm sure the current Presidential limo is designed not to cause bullet to ricochet off like Reagan's case but to "safely deflect" the bullets. The old concept was to have toughest skin to stop the bullet but has the ricochet issue. Now the new concept is to deflect the force all over in order to reduce the impact/penetration - hence... Kevlar armor (much less ricochet)

Man! It don't seem like 28 years! Where does time go? :hmm:

march 30, 1981. i was only 10 years old at the time yet i remember it as if it were yesterday.

march 30, 1981. i was only 10 years old at the time yet i remember it as if it were yesterday.
Yes, I remember that day also. It was my 30th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back