Secret Service to unveil new presidential limo

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've never seen a limo truck before. is that a limo which is long lengthwise and has the structure of a truck on the front and back of its' frame -- or is this limo shorter?
The Presidential limousine (limo) looks standard length, like a normal Cadillac luxury limo. It doesn't look like a truck at all. The extra body and glass thickness is not discernible on the outside; it takes up space on the inside.

The picture of the prototype limo looks ugly because it is disguised. It has a gray stripe, taped off areas, and fake trim pieces stuck on it to hide the true appearance. That's standard practice for newly designed cars to prevent "sneak peeks" by the competition and others before the maker is ready to release it.

Yup it's shorter, the paints was not right. There's black paints on the front and no paints on the rest, just grey. The windows look just okay, including the tires. It look like a Lincoln car.

Also the golf cart that Aghori posted, it was curvy, white with small wheels, and white car-like seats.

Hope that helps :)

thanks, puyo -- it does. :)

The Presidential limousine (limo) looks standard length, like a normal Cadillac luxury limo. It doesn't look like a truck at all. The extra body and glass thickness is not discernible on the outside; it takes up space on the inside.

The picture of the prototype limo looks ugly because it is disguised. It has a gray stripe, taped off areas, and fake trim pieces stuck on it to hide the true appearance. That's standard practice for newly designed cars to prevent "sneak peaks" by the competition and others before the maker is ready to release it.

that makes perfect sense (i.e. as to why the vehicle has fake trim pieces on it to hide its' true appearance). thanks for the description, reba!

Yup, sorry for misunderstanding, I just happened to thought that it was a car and didn't realized that it was not really a car. It looked like other electric cars that I saw....
That's OK; it's a good looking golf cart. However, if you notice, it has no doors or shoulder seat belts. It probably doesn't have air bags, and I don't think it's top speed would catch someone in a high-speed chase on the highway. It's probably OK for downtown and resort area patrols in tourist areas but that's about it.

that makes perfect sense (i.e. as to why the vehicle has fake trim pieces on it to hide its' true appearance). thanks for the description, reba!
'Welcome. :)

Because it's too heavy. All that special equipment, thick bullet-proof glass and metal adds lots of weight to the car. Even the tires are heavier. Then add the Secret Service agents and their weapons. It's a full load.

which is why it's not good idea to use hybrid technology.

Notice it says it even has diesel engine in it. Mostly likely cause of extra weight most which is probably ego anyways.

weight is of no concern to Secret Service. the car has to be drivable and tough enough when attacked by roadside bomb, RPG, guns, or crashes. diesel/gas engine surely can handle that kind of abuse with no problem... but can hybrid engine? :hmm:

weight is of no concern to Secret Service. the car has to be drivable and tough enough when attacked by roadside bomb, RPG, guns, or crashes. diesel/gas engine surely can handle that kind of abuse with no problem... but can hybrid engine? :hmm:

There was a joke in my statement. :)

That's one advantage of a motor, it has no dying point like engine does. It will go from 0 rpm and up while the engine has to be certain rpm to keep running or it'll stall and die.

Also the motor with smaller weight can move more weight than engine can. By that, I mean a motor that may weight 100 lbs might be able to move more weight that an engine that weights 100 lbs could. The problem is power for motor.

There was a joke in my statement. :)

That's one advantage of a motor, it has no dying point like engine does. It will go from 0 rpm and up while the engine has to be certain rpm to keep running or it'll stall and die.

Also the motor with smaller weight can move more weight than engine can. By that, I mean a motor that may weight 100 lbs might be able to move more weight that an engine that weights 100 lbs could. The problem is power for motor.

that's why its engine is custom-built to handle the additional weight of the limo. it's much more powerful and tougher.

Don't you mean it will be an beautiful armored limo? :lol:

Here's another description (includes photo gallery):

...Photographed testing on public roads and highways, we think this behemoth might actually be more of a truck than a limo. With so much armor being added, it appears GM may have needed a medium-duty truck chassis like the Topkick platform. We observed the limo testing along with two regular Topkick trucks and the wheels and tires on the limo appeared to be the same size as the Topkick. The tires on the limo are Goodyear Regional RHS tires, though we couldn’t tell if they are 22.5 inch or 19.5 inch wheels.

As far as powertain, all we can say for sure is that a very large diesel was under the hood. The exhaust note coming from the back of the limo was quite similar to the medium-duty Topkick trucks.

Style wise, we can see bits and pieces from a few different Cadillac models. Xenon headlights from the Escalade adorn the front while the rear seems to have some STS parts. We can also see holders on the top of the front fenders where two small American flags would traditionally go. The doors on this limo are absolutely astounding. We’d guess they are at least 8 inches thick....
Election Scoop: new presidential limo spied again

One correction: one flag is the Presidential flag.

More description:

...The vehicle, referred to by the Secret Service as "the beast," will reportedly feature heavy armor that is at least 5 inches thick and comes complete with run-flat tires, bulletproof glass and a completely sealed interior to ward off a chemical attack, among many other high-tech security features.

...The new limousine also includes larger windows and better visibility for the president, a spokesman for the automaker told the paper.

Cadillac has previously disclosed that the limo's interior is made of hand-stitched leather and includes a 10-disc CD player.

"The president is not riding in a medium-duty truck, nor he is riding in a sedan," a GM representative told the Detroit News, it is a "unique" vehicle.
The Secret Service and GM say they'll reveal more about the custom vehicle's specifications next week after training with the new limousine at a facility near Washington.

Older-model presidential limos will remain in use for the vice president and traveling world leaders. The previous model, a modified Cadillac DTS, was introduced at President George W. Bush's second inauguration in 2005.
Obama's New Ride: Heavily-Armored 2009 Cadillac Limo - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker

At least they recycle the old ones! :lol:

thanks, puyo -- it does. :)

No problemo :)

That's OK; it's a good looking golf cart. However, if you notice, it has no doors or shoulder seat belts. It probably doesn't have air bags, and I don't think it's top speed would catch someone in a high-speed chase on the highway. It's probably OK for downtown and resort area patrols in tourist areas but that's about it.

Yup I notice it, thanks :)

How come my city's buses use the hybrid? They can go fast on the freeways with load weighs of people in the bus.

How come my city's buses use the hybrid? They can go fast on the freeways with load weighs of people in the bus.

is your hybrid city bus designed to withstand bomb blast? high-powered bullets? RPG? nuclear & biological & chemical attack? and still be drivable after those attacks?

methinks not :cool2:

is your hybrid city bus designed to withstand bomb blast? high-powered bullets? RPG? nuclear & biological & chemical attack? and still be drivable after those attacks?

methinks not :cool2:
I wonder what is the top speed for a city bus? Not the same as the Prez limo, I'm sure. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back