Second implant

krazykatkitty

Reaction score
I had a very interesting hearing test on my left ear. Apparently I thought that my hearing aid is broken. I had a CI check up and it goes well. Passed the listening test and telephone too! That's good.

My audiologist, Mum and I had a long discussion about getting 2nd Implant. They gave me a new hearing aid to try out but no success. They told me that my current hearing aid wasn't broken. I had a hearing check for 10 mins and when we check out my hearing audiogram. They told me that that ear dropped like 20db. Used to like 90-100db. Now it around 120 or 130db (something like that). Almost no benefit from my hearing aid in that ear. I can hear kinda well since I was as a child. They have been told that I need another 2nd CI fitting very soon (around summer). So My mum will ring our ENT to check if my left hear is suitability and qualified. Very interesting.

They discussed about 2 different companies between Cochlear and Medel. But I wanted to get Cochlear because I always trust with this company. My first one is Cochlear. My parents want me to upgrade into N5 my other ear to match for the second one. I am not sure if the first one is compiable though.

I am aware that my second implant will take long time to get it right and a lots of work with listening and speech etc. I am willing to work on my speech and listening for the second one. My goal to watch the DVD with subtitles to pick up some words and youtube as well. I wanted to take my current one off and wear the new one like 2 or 3 days a week to get used to it.

My parents and family is very happy to support me and help me out. I got my first implant way back in 2001. If I am qualified for the second one need to get it done before Christmas or start in 2011.

I will let you guys know about the updates.

Best of luck to you with your decision to get a second CI. The nucleus 5 is a pretty nice device. I had just got one a few months ago and no longer need Subtitles or CC. I listen with my CI probably about 14 hrs a day every day I think that is what has helped me alot also I have auditory memory which I believe is a big factor in how well one progress's with the CI. Again I wish u nothing but good luck with your decision!:wave:

Thanks, I've been thinking about getting second implant about six years ago. I decided to wait for new technology but now I just want to grab an opportunity right now.

I upgrade to the N5 from Freedom in February. I just had a remap three weeks ago and the sound quality is very impressive. My new maps also increase my ability to understand my hearing friends in a crowd even when they had a hard time hearing me. I use the ACE processing not sure about your older implant. The new N5 internal implant is thinner and stronger than my internal Freedom implant.

Thanks, I've been thinking about getting second implant about six years ago. I decided to wait for new technology but now I just want to grab an opportunity right now.

My daughter went bilateral recently, and it has made a big difference. She hears much better in noise, and she is picking up more in passing than she ever did before.

Good luck!

I upgrade to the N5 from Freedom in February. I just had a remap three weeks ago and the sound quality is very impressive. My new maps also increase my ability to understand my hearing friends in a crowd even when they had a hard time hearing me. I use the ACE processing not sure about your older implant. The new N5 internal implant is thinner and stronger than my internal Freedom implant.

That's good. What does ACE stand for? Could you please explain this. Thats awesome. N5 is a nice device and model too.

My daughter went bilateral recently, and it has made a big difference. She hears much better in noise, and she is picking up more in passing than she ever did before.

Good luck!

Thats great. Glad to hear that. Fingerscrossed for me if I am qualified. All the best for your daughter.

ACE is Cochlear coding strategy somewhat like the AB HiRes-S coding strategy. ACE combines both the spectral resolution of SPEAK coding and the temporal cues of CIS coding. The N5 also has smart sounds which is different sound processing programs. I know of one person still using SPEAK coding strategy with the N5

That's good. What does ACE stand for? Could you please explain this. Thats awesome. N5 is a nice device and model too.

ACE is Cochlear coding strategy somewhat like the AB HiRes-S coding strategy. ACE combines both the spectral resolution of SPEAK coding and the temporal cues of CIS coding. The N5 also has smart sounds which is different sound processing programs. I know of one person still using SPEAK coding strategy with the N5

Thanks, :)

:)

I wish you luck on your next journey with your 2nd implant! You should make a blog or something and keep us updated. :deaf:

:)

I wish you luck on your next journey with your 2nd implant! You should make a blog or something and keep us updated. :deaf:

Thanks, I still havent heard from our audiologist. If I heard something and will let you know soon as possible

Back