Second Amendment

horsecrazy

Reaction score
Amendment Two of the United States Constitution - aka Right to Bear Arms - States that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." (The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net)

I feel that this means that we have the right to join the National Guard even though we cannot hear very well as we are granted the right to bear arms. I guess I am looking for some help in finding a way to make a case to join the National Guard/Army. :) So go ahead and argue!!! Pro or Con, make your case either way.

If you believe that bar deaf people from join military service violate of US constitution then you could try sue in federal court or supreme court.

I'm really that I have no position about specified amendment and I know this constitution does represent citizens to right to own armed guns for protect themselves.

The second amendment is for the Citizens rights to bear arm....

It has nothing to do with military. Not that I know of.

But anyone is welcome to correct me, if I am wrong.

The second amendment is for the Citizens rights to bear arm....

It has nothing to do with military. Not that I know of.

But anyone is welcome to correct me, if I am wrong.

no not military. it's paramilitary.

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with an individual's right to join the military.

The 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with an individual's right to join the military.

Exactly. There is a difference between Militia and Military. The Military is a government force...employed by the goverment and acts at the governments will.

A Militia is comprised of civilians. You have to think back to the formation of the United States and the types of governments prior to the formation of the US. The King of England. The founding fathers felt that the King had too much power over the people. The right to bear arms stems from people given the opportunity to protect themselves. Joseph Story (Lawyer during Colonial times) summed it up best:

The importance of this article will scarcely be doubted by any persons, who have duly reflected upon the subject. The militia is the natural defence of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations of power by rulers. It is against sound policy for a free people to keep up large military establishments and standing armies in time of peace, both from the enormous expenses, with which they are attended, and the facile means, which they afford to ambitious and unprincipled rulers, to subvert the government, or trample upon the rights of the people. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them. And yet, though this truth would seem so clear, and the importance of a well regulated militia would seem so undeniable, it cannot be disguised, that among the American people there is a growing indifference to any system of militia discipline, and a strong disposition, from a sense of its burthens, to be rid of all regulations. How it is practicable to keep the people duly armed without some organization, it is difficult to see. There is certainly no small danger, that indifference may lead to disgust, and disgust to contempt; and thus gradually undermine all the protection intended by this clause of our national bill of rights.

A similar debate (and my feelings on it) is seperation of church and state. The King of England told people what religion they had to be. It was a crime to observe other religions. The founding fathers wanted to give the people the freedom to choose their own religion and to practice freely. This is what bugs me about people that cry seperation of Church and State. The King told you what religion you had to be....Your local elementary school putting up a sign "God Bless America" after 9/11 doesn't make religion a law, nor are you persecuted for believing in Buddah. A judge placing the 10 commandments doesn't make it a crime to practice different religions.

We can do the Seperation of Church and State in another thread since the OP referrenced the 2nd Ammendment. I only mentioned it here to show how our founding fathers were trying to escape the tyranny of a king in regards to the right to bear arms.

The National Guard today is a part of the military, not militia.

wrong. National Guard is the state militia - as established by the Constitution. Military is the federal armed force under command by the President of the United States. President has absolutely NO authority to command National Guard. They only report to their state governors.

National Guard is federally-recognized by federal government as MILITIA, not armed force like military.

The United States National Guard is authorized by the Constitution of the United States. As originally drafted, the Constitution limited the mustering of state militias: without the consent of Congress, states could not "keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace,...or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay." (Article I, Section 10; Clause 3) Congress, however, had a duty to protect states from invasion and domestic violence (Article IV, Section 4).

National Guard of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:shrug:

However - Jillio is PARTIALLY-correct. National Guards IS part of the federal military. It serves as reserve force as of 1903. The point is - the core aspect of the National Guard is that its primary function is to serve as the state militia - as established by the Founding Fathers. Its secondary function is to serve as reserve troop for the military - a dual role as state and federal force.

The military suppose to protect our constitution.

deaf people should be allowed to join. they may not be able to do anything they want but they should be able to do something for the military.

The military suppose to protect our constitution.

deaf people should be allowed to join. they may not be able to do anything they want but they should be able to do something for the military.

deaf people can serve as logistic support for the military.

However - Jillio is PARTIALLY-correct. National Guards IS part of the federal military. It serves as reserve force as of 1903. The point is - the core aspect of the National Guard is that its primary function is to serve as the state militia - as established by the Founding Fathers. Its secondary function is to serve as reserve troop for the military - a dual role as state and federal force.

Throughout the 19th century the size of the Regular Army was small, and the militia provided the bulk of the troops during the Mexican War, the early months of the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War. In 1903, important national defense legislation increased the role of the National Guard (as the militia was now called) as a Reserve force for the U.S. Army. In World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, the National Guard made up 40% of the U.S. combat divisions in France; in World War II, National Guard units were among the first to deploy overseas and the first to fight.

Following World War II, National Guard aviation units, some of them dating back to World War I, became the Air National Guard, the nation's newest Reserve component. The Guard stood on the frontiers of freedom during the Cold War, sending soldiers and airmen to fight in Korea and to reinforce NATO during the Berlin crisis of 1961-1962. During the Vietnam war, almost 23,000 Army and Air Guardsmen were called up for a year of active duty; some 8,700 were deployed to Vietnam. Over 75,000 Army and Air Guardsmen were called upon to help bring a swift end to Desert Storm in 1991.

Since that time, the National Guard has seen the nature of its Federal mission change, with more frequent call ups in response to crises in Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the skies over Iraq. Most recently, following the attacks of September 11, 2001, more than 50,000 Guardmembers were called up by both their States and the Federal government to provide security at home and combat terrorism abroad. In the largest and swiftest response to a domestic disaster in history, the Guard deployed more than 50,000 troops in support of the Gulf States following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Today, tens of thousands of Guardmembers are serving in harm's way in Iraq and Afghanistan, as the National Guard continues its historic dual mission, providing to the states units trained and equipped to protect life and property, while providing to the nation units trained, equipped and ready to defend the United States and its interests, all over the globe.

The National Guard - About the National Guard

Hence, the Air National Guard and the Army National Guard. They are a part of our military system. And the Second Amendment does not address joining the military.

Throughout the 19th century the size of the Regular Army was small, and the militia provided the bulk of the troops during the Mexican War, the early months of the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War. In 1903, important national defense legislation increased the role of the National Guard (as the militia was now called) as a Reserve force for the U.S. Army. In World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, the National Guard made up 40% of the U.S. combat divisions in France; in World War II, National Guard units were among the first to deploy overseas and the first to fight.

Following World War II, National Guard aviation units, some of them dating back to World War I, became the Air National Guard, the nation's newest Reserve component. The Guard stood on the frontiers of freedom during the Cold War, sending soldiers and airmen to fight in Korea and to reinforce NATO during the Berlin crisis of 1961-1962. During the Vietnam war, almost 23,000 Army and Air Guardsmen were called up for a year of active duty; some 8,700 were deployed to Vietnam. Over 75,000 Army and Air Guardsmen were called upon to help bring a swift end to Desert Storm in 1991.

Since that time, the National Guard has seen the nature of its Federal mission change, with more frequent call ups in response to crises in Haiti, Bosnia, Kosovo, and the skies over Iraq. Most recently, following the attacks of September 11, 2001, more than 50,000 Guardmembers were called up by both their States and the Federal government to provide security at home and combat terrorism abroad. In the largest and swiftest response to a domestic disaster in history, the Guard deployed more than 50,000 troops in support of the Gulf States following Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Today, tens of thousands of Guardmembers are serving in harm's way in Iraq and Afghanistan, as the National Guard continues its historic dual mission, providing to the states units trained and equipped to protect life and property, while providing to the nation units trained, equipped and ready to defend the United States and its interests, all over the globe.

The National Guard - About the National Guard

Hence, the Air National Guard and the Army National Guard. They are a part of our military system. And the Second Amendment does not address joining the military.

yes. see my post #13. You are partially correct that National Guard is part of the military but you are wrong that it is not militia.

It is STILL state militia. That is the primary function. its secondary function is to serve as reserve troop for military.

yes. see my post #13. You are partially correct that National Guard is part of the military but you are wrong that it is not militia.

It is STILL state militia. That is the primary function. its secondary function is to serve as reserve troop for military.

Whatever, Jiro. It is part of our federal military system.

Whatever, Jiro. It is part of our federal military system.

and state militia - the primary function. that's the most important fact to remember.

3 words - Posse Comitatus Act

Back