Seattle, WA or Portland, OR?

hellos245

Reaction score
:wave:Im very interested in ASL, and want to work in the Deaf Community in the medical field (receptionist). I was just wondering what are the best things to look for in a school for ASL, and the community. Also, can I do just the deaf studies, or should I go for the interpreting to? How much does it matter if its a certificate or an AA?

Any advice is great.

-- Right now Im debating between

Portland Community College:
Sign Language Interpretation | PCC
Sign Language Studies | PCC

-OR-

Seattle Community College:
Deaf Studies

Any advice would be great. Anybody from the Portland or Seattle area?

Thanks,
Danielle

I have 2 very dear friends in the Portland area: one is completing her Ph.D. in organizational psychology, the other is a professional counselor with a certificate in deaf mental health. They both love the area. I have visited several times, and can certainly understand why.

The Seattle program is absolutely wonderful. It is all encompassing in Deaf culture, not just the base interpereting courses.

The Seattle program is absolutely wonderful. It is all encompassing in Deaf culture, not just the base interpereting courses.

I'd say they are different. If you want to also interpret, then you should go to that program. I'm not sure but I would surmise that they'd cover a lot of the aspects of the culture, too....I'd say it'd work better for you this way vs the other way around....at least that's my first thought on this....

No.

Have you been to either of these areas?

No, I wish I could go visit, but its too expensive. Thats why I was just wondering what everybody thought what program would work best for me? And if anybody was from those areas, or knew anything about them. What aspects to be looking for?

Back