Scotland!

hootster

Reaction score
Hey all, I m going to Scotland for spring break! Specifically Edinburgh and Dundee. Anyone been there? What should I expect from the deaf people over there other than the fact that they have a totally different sign language?

Any advice is welcome.

I have been to Glasgow, Scotland about 15 years ago. It is such a beautiful country and I have enjoyed the visit there. I haven't met or run into any deaf people while I was there though. I am sure you will do just fine if you happen to meet any while you are there.

Have a wonderful spring break in Scotland and when you come back you can tell us about your trip :)

Learn the two handed alphabet. Not that hard to learn, I reckon.

Anyway, have a blast in Scotland. :)

Scotland

I would think that you will have no problem communicating in Scotland as it is an English speaking country.As deaf travelers everywhere can testify,communicating in sign language is a lot less stressful than trying to make heads and tails out of the native languages.
I was born in Aberdeen,Scotland and there is a very nice deaf club there as well as in Edinburgh.
The weather can be a bit on the cool side this time of the year so be prepared.A great way to see Scotlands splendor is by train but whatever your travel plans are do try to visit the west coast,especially Oban and Ullapool.
Have a nice trip,and don't forget your camera.One more thing......your electrical appliances will not work there as the country is wired for 240 volts.
You will need an adaptor available I believe from Radio Shack.

Wowowowowow, had the time of my life. Scotland had a very gloomy weather though. However, had lots of beer in cans made for real men (500ml or more) which more than made up for the weather.

My favorite time was hanging out in an Irish pub called Malones in Dundee, Scotland. Hung out there on St Paddy's day around Irish people who were really from Ireland, just drinking Guinness and Magners (an brand of Irish cider- good stuff) and listening to Irish music (hearing aid). I m about 60% Irish, give or take, so it was cool hanging out among the Irish. Awesome people. Jealous of them cuz they get to live in Ireland. They get all the good beer, rugby, football (soccer). Dammit. haha.

If u guys have any questions u want to ask about Scotland or whatever, dont hestiate.

Yes, I know that my avatar shows the Scottish flag despite the fact that I m mostly Irish. I m also Scottish, but not as much. I only went with a Scottish flag cuz I couldnt find an Ireland flag that met the minimum size. O well.

hootster said:
Hey all, I m going to Scotland for spring break! Specifically Edinburgh and Dundee. Anyone been there? What should I expect from the deaf people over there other than the fact that they have a totally different sign language?

Any advice is welcome.
Hope your trip to Scotland is well worth - trying to get some photos of the Nessy the Monster, I went there and couldn't find her! If you found one, sell your photos to the Newspapers for $$$$ - easy fast money!!

I went to Edinburgh Deaf Club, it is rather hard place to find one! If your lucky perhaps one of them will be happy to be your host to show you around its castles and pubs-touring.

Don't forget to wear a kilt tartan skirt. (without undies/boxer)!

Back