Scientology, what do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEWIDME

Reaction score
When I think about scientology, I think of tom cruise. I think I read somewhere that scientologist do not believe there is a God? I thought I would launch this thread so that we may chat about scientology. I hope that is ok, mod?

It started as a self help method called Dianetics and wasn't considered a religion until about 10 years later.Hubbard often acknowledges his philosophical forerunners and influences. In Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health, the seminal "Book One" of Dianetics and Scientology, he states that:
"There are just so many pieces in any puzzle."
Hubbard credits Francis Bacon and Herbert Spencer, along with "a very few more" for having put together parts of the answer. Hubbard also recalls a meeting with Cmdr. Joseph Cressman Thompson, a U.S. navy officer who studied with Sigmund Freud. Hubbard, himself the son of a navy officer, met Thompson at the age of 12 during a trip from Seattle to Washington D.C. via the Panama Canal. Thompson introduced him to Freudian analysis, and Hubbard later gave his opinion on Sigmund Freud: “I think that was Freud’s great contribution that something could be done about the mind... He was the first man that ever stood up and said: 'there is hope for it'... Now there was a great humanitarian." However, there are discrepancies between Scientology as a religion and Psychoanalysis.

Wow, Botts, you know alot!! I am glad for your post. Can I safely assume that scientology is not a religion?

Wow, Botts, you know alot!! I am glad for your post. Can I safely assume that scientology is not a religion?

I believe at this point, scientology is considered a religion. They have belief in a Supreme Being, and they call themselves a church.

Some people of course consider them a cult.

By the way, I am not a Scientologist if you were wondering. I just read a lot.
Plus what I posted in the first post is just internet research. So I am far from an expert.

Scientology is a New Age religion.

I wonder how fast this religion is expanding across the world? Tom Cruise is advocating the livelihood of this religion

I just run 180 degrees the other way! :lol:

Mod's Note:

This thread is related to religion, so therefore it is closed and moved to the religion forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back