Schwarzenegger Sorry for Border Comment

Maria

Premium Member
Reaction score
Schwarzenegger Sorry for Border Comment

Thu Apr 21, 8:44 AM ET U.S. National - AP

By TOM CHORNEAU, Associated Press Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Blaming his faulty English, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Wednesday said he misspoke when he suggested that California's border with Mexico should be closed to help solve the nation's illegal immigration problem.

Schwarzenegger made the remark while speaking to newspaper editors and publishers Tuesday. He said he intended to say the border should be secured.

"Yesterday was a total screw-up in the words I used," the Republican said at a news conference. "Because instead of closing, I meant securing. I think maybe my English, I need to go back to school and study a little bit."

The governor's contrition seemed to quell the issue at the Capitol, where a key Hispanic lawmaker accepted the apology a day after criticizing the remark.

"I don't think the governor identifies himself with that kind of rhetoric," said Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, a Democrat. "I don't know why he said it, but I'm very pleased he has totally removed himself from those folks who espouse that kind of hatred."

In his remarks Tuesday, Schwarzenegger told journalists: "Close the borders in California and all across Mexico and in the United States Because I think it is just unfair to have all those people coming across, have the borders open the way it is, and have this kind of lax situation."

Although a big bloc of Hispanic voters supported Schwarzenegger in the 2003 recall election, the governor's relationship with California's largest minority group has been uneasy since he took office. Hispanic leaders have criticized Schwarzenegger's unsuccessful efforts to cut public health and social services that would have hurt low-income families.

Most notably, however, the governor forced the Legislature to repeal a bill that granted driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Although Schwarzenegger since said several times he would accept some form of the legislation if security issues could be resolved, no compromise has been reached.

His remark about the border was taken as a further slight by some in the Hispanic community.

"That's not what we expected given the fact that the governor himself is an immigrant," said Francisco Estrada, a spokesman for the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050421/ap_on_re_us/schwarzenegger_immigration_5

( Do you believe him about the whole thing what he just mentioned eh ? )

English isn't even his first language, so it's no big deal that alot of people would say alot of things that they mispoke of.

yes i do

Magatsu said:
poeple make a mistake like you magastu you are not perfect neither am I, i believe it was a mistake by right or wrong you can believe anyway you want.LOL

Ummm, excuse me, but I do not see a difference between "closed" and " "secured." In doublespeak they both mean the same thing.
And btw Mag, the term "doublespeak" comes from Orwell's 1984.

Steel said:
lol why not? think he's an anti-hispanic or something?
With that comment Arnold made... it is not 'accident'. I don't know if he is an anti-hispanic or not but I do know what he mean too well when he said that first comment.

"That's not what we expected given the fact that the governor himself is an immigrant," said Francisco Estrada, a spokesman for the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

Estrada have a good point.

Oh jeeez, this is the end of Western Civilization.
It is NOT racist to protest against immigration.
There are TOO many of them and it is planned, I am warning you.
I am DISMAYED that people think Bush has so little power.

Magatsu said:

Neither, do I. I got the vibe that there's somethin' fishy goin' on behind the door. Schwarzennegger can not be trusted, no matter how famous, rich and handsome he really is.

im sure it was just an bloober.

how many times do you talk to people then become like :Oops: and then rephrase what you said. i know i do it all the time.

besides, an immigrant against immigration...not likely

Beowulf said:
Ummm, excuse me, but I do not see a difference between "closed" and " "secured." In doublespeak they both mean the same thing.
I am not speaking for Arnold, so I really don't know what he means by "closed" and "secured". But generally, I think of a "closed" border to mean no access at all, and a "secured" border to mean carefully controlled access. That is just my interpretation.

Actually, in doublespeak, Arnold probably would say something more like, "I believe our borders should be more open. We should allow people to go back to Mexico and Canada freely." The words "open" and "freely" have a nice, positive feeling. Heh, heh.

Beowulf said:
Oh jeeez, this is the end of Western Civilization.
It is NOT racist to protest against immigration.
There are TOO many of them and it is planned, I am warning you.
I am DISMAYED that people think Bush has so little power.
protest against illegal aliens, if that what you mean. then it's not toally racist at all.

CyberRed said:
Neither, do I. I got the vibe that there's somethin' fishy goin' on behind the door. Schwarzennegger can not be trusted, no matter how famous, rich and handsome he really is.
sounds like you got a thing for that austrailian actor. :roll:

Steel said:
sounds like you got a thing for that austrailian actor. :roll:

You think so huh ? To tell you the truth, I don't care about him or where he came from. He is just like Pres. Bush and ex-Presidents.

If, I live in California -- I wouldn't vote for him to be a Mayor or President !

CyberRed said:
If, I live in California -- I wouldn't vote for him to be a Mayor or President !
Me either.

btw, his popularity rating is spiraling downward as of lately in California. It is good news for many of us. He should be stay in Hollywood where he is good at (or bad, depends on people's opinions of his acting skills).

Magatsu said:
Me either.

btw, his popularity rating is spiraling downward as of lately in California. It is good news for many of us. He should be stay in Hollywood where he is good at (or bad, depends on people's opinions of his acting skills).

I agree !

I've hear rumors that Warner Bros. is already planning to produce the 4th installment in the Terminator series and even if that's true, Arnie may not have enough time to be an actor and an governor at the same time! but he said he coudl give it a try, depending on his free time from his job as governor and back to his old job as an actor so...who knows? The ending of Terminator 3 seems to be a cliffhanger to me...

I personally believe he meant what he said. He just did not expect the backlash and he backpeddled. He is not stupid. He has a very good command of the English language.

And by the way, he is not an illegal immigrent (Dang, I never can spell that word! Maybe I meant secure? :wiggle: ) but he came here legally, and became a citizen legally. I would think that would give him cause to resent people slipping in and draining the resources of California (and the U.S.) through entitlement programs.

DO Germany, Canada, and Australia have immegration policies? Just curious.

Codger said:
DO Germany, Canada, and Australia have immegration policies? Just curious.

Yes, we have immigration policies, just take a look at the Canadian website. Click here to access it.

Well, the one good thing I can say for Arnie is that he had the political balls to back off and that's a rarity!

Back