Schools For The Deaf Vs. Mainstream Schooling

bitner90

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a hearing education student. I'm doing a persuasive paper on schools for the deaf state schools vs mainstreaming deaf students into mainstream schools. I would like to get your opinions on this subject as well as to gain some understanding about this as I am genuinely interested in knowing more about this subject. While I have done a lot of my own research I would really like to know your personal opinions on this subject if you are willing to do so.

Do you think its better for a deaf student to attend a state school for the deaf or mainstream school? And Why? What effects would you expect to see of a deaf student in a mainstream hearing school.

Any other information or opinions would be appreciated and welcome.

Thanks,
Amanda

That is a huge question with so many variables. What supports are in the community school? What is the family situation (Deaf, hearing, learning sign?) would the student be placed in self contained deaf classes at their community school? Do these classes have the same standards as hearing classes? Does the student sign? Will there be a qualified interpreter at all times? Will a working FM system be used at all times including group discussions?

For the Deaf school, are the standards the same as for hearing schools or are most classes remedial? Are teachers fluent in ASL AND their subject area? Most high school teachers have a master's degree in their subject area, do the teachers at either type of school have advanced degrees in their subject?

What is the language level of peers at each type of school? Is the student pre or postlinguay deaf? Do they use hearing aids or CIs?

You s been asked to write a persuasive paper, not a dissertation on what is the best. Choose one and provide evidence to back up your assertion.

I went to Deafie school, I graduated from Deafie school.

I went to a government residential school for the Deaf.

I think a good start here what do you think is the purpose behind soul crushing mainstreaming?

What ideology has driven it?

Back