School Children Banned From Kensington Public Parks

Maria

Premium Member
Reaction score
School Children Banned From Kensington Public Parks
posted 10/02/09 6:08 pm

KENSINGTON, Md. - Public parks are usually the places where children go to have fun. But the town of Kensington just passed a new rule that bans kids over five years old from playgrounds during the daytime.

"It's like a sad children's story," said Joe McPherson, headmaster of the Brookewood School.

But it's no fable. The girls at Kensington's Brookewood School are banned from using a public park right across the street for recess.
"I don't think it's really fair because we're part of the community too and we want to play in the park," said Jill Collins, a fifth-grade student.

The town council unanimously passed a resolution this week saying only caretakers with children five years old and younger can be in Reinhardt Park from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Since that resolution passed, Brookewood students have gone elsewhere for recess. "We like to use the park because it's big and we like to run around and play games," said Basia Syski, a fifth-grade student.

The town manager says students using the park for recess created maintenance issues and damage. The town council asked the school to pay $4,000 a year to help with upkeep but never heard back.

"Do a clean through trash pickup, lay mulch around the swings -- we could do that," said McPherson. "But pay $4,000? We just don't have it. We just don't have it in our budget."

Brookewood's headmaster tells ABC 7 News it's a public park for all too use but Kensington's mayor disagrees. By phone he said the park is for taxpaying citizens -- not abuse by a private non-profit school.

Tracy Wagner brings her toddler to the park -- a park she describes as rarely used.

"Really is it that big of a deal to put some more mulch down? I don't know. That's my personal opinion. It's for the kids. The kids are using it," she said.

The girls at Brookewood say they brought life to the park, a park they now watch sit empty. "I think it's silly that we can't use it," said Syski.

School Children Banned From Kensington Public Parks|ABC 7 News

I don't think it is really fair. The children over the age of 5 deserve to have fun! :squint:

I really think somebody hates kids :( It's just ridiculous... The school could always offer to clean up the park just like mentioned. Why does it always have to be about money???? And kids are the ones suffering once again...

Why do we even have a park in the first place if children are not allowed to play on it?

Why don't they save more of their money and get rid of the park. Other than that, they should just get over it.

We have a public park near a school as well and the kids use it sometimes (they usually use to to run and hike) . And sometimes I used the school park for our son to play.

We do have a clean park organization where volunteers get together and clean all parks, and then they go celebrate afterward to live folk musics and foods.

I see it is a private school. I'm sorry, but these kids are children of taxpaying parents. And teachers are taxpayers too.

And the main purpose of park is to help children grow socially and mentally healthy (otherwise we would have more criminals). It doesn't matter what school they go to. As far as I'm concern, homeschoolers will used their park as well for recess.

Back