School Admissions

Eriol said:
Hi! this is to the deaf people out there (there seem to be a number in this thread too) who are in mainstream US universities. my attention was caught when i noticed that some of you are at UCLA and other highly competitive universities in the US. i'm interested in knowing how life is at these unis for deaf people, as come september this will be my situation.

I am a Malaysian studying on scholarship in Lester B Pearson United World College, Canada (doing the IB, a pre-university course, equal to grade 12 in the US i believe). i am profoundly deaf, but was also educated mainstream. i've been accepted to both harvard and MIT for entrance this september.

since i don't know any deaf people at universities in the US, i was wondering if anyone in this thread could give me some pointers -- what to expect, how's the transition from high school to university for a deaf person..?

i'd be very grateful. thank you!

WOW..congrats!! being profoundly deaf and getting into one of the top universities in the nation is really awesome..have you decided which school you're going to attend this upcoming fall? you must really work hard in school..anyway, the transition of high school to a university varies from person to person depending on how prepared they are. for me, the transition was not so bad..i had to adapt living away from home, being independent, taking care of yourself, managing your time, developing good study skills, etc..i'm sure you will have no problems with that..one of the important thing you should do is contact the disabilities office and ask them what kind of services they offer for deaf individuals like yourself..for me, at ucla, i use real time captioning for my lecture classes, since the lecture halls are huge..can seat up to like 400 students..n it's difficult for me to understand the professor..and since i grew up oral, and never really learned asl, i couldnt use interpreters, but rather captioning..it's really helpful..so yea..good luck! let me know if you have any other questions! =D

hi angelstar,

thanks! i had no idea real time captioning might be available.. it doesn't even exist in my country. it's definitely useful to know that. perhaps because i'm an international (come from a country with no disability services in schools at all), i don't know what facilities are available or what to ask for. harvard sent me an email asking what i would like in the way of disability services, but i have no idea what to say..!! are you using any other service besides the captioning?

btw, although my parents say i have severe to profound hearing loss, i use hearing aids and can get on pretty well as long as it's not too noisy. i guess you know what i mean! :lol:

as for Harvard vs MIT.. i'm in a huge dilemna because i have no clear favourite .. so i don't know where i'm going. added complication is that i want to do electrical engineering and MIT is clearly better for that, yet Harvard is prestigious and famous and my parents really like it. Harvard invited me to visit the campus with all the other admitted students (for Prefrosh Weekend) so, if i can get permission, i might go. it would be nice to see how disabled-friendly they are and maybe that'll help me decide..

Eriol said:
hi angelstar,

thanks! i had no idea real time captioning might be available.. it doesn't even exist in my country. it's definitely useful to know that. perhaps because i'm an international (come from a country with no disability services in schools at all), i don't know what facilities are available or what to ask for. harvard sent me an email asking what i would like in the way of disability services, but i have no idea what to say..!! are you using any other service besides the captioning?

btw, although my parents say i have severe to profound hearing loss, i use hearing aids and can get on pretty well as long as it's not too noisy. i guess you know what i mean! :lol:

as for Harvard vs MIT.. i'm in a huge dilemna because i have no clear favourite .. so i don't know where i'm going. added complication is that i want to do electrical engineering and MIT is clearly better for that, yet Harvard is prestigious and famous and my parents really like it. Harvard invited me to visit the campus with all the other admitted students (for Prefrosh Weekend) so, if i can get permission, i might go. it would be nice to see how disabled-friendly they are and maybe that'll help me decide..

hi, actually, im not using any other services besides the captioning. you can probably apply for extended time on your midterms/exams due to your disability which is very beneficial if you are a slow test taker. if captioning doesn't work out for you, there's always notetakers and stuff..when you do pay a visit to the schools, make sure you visit the diabilities office..i highly recommend making an appointment with the person there, so you can get to know him/her and ask them if you have any questions about anything regarding the services you need...actually, you should ask them first which services they offer for deaf students like yourself and then ask them any concerns you may have. so ya..

angelstar819 said:
hi, actually, im not using any other services besides the captioning. you can probably apply for extended time on your midterms/exams due to your disability which is very beneficial if you are a slow test taker. if captioning doesn't work out for you, there's always notetakers and stuff..when you do pay a visit to the schools, make sure you visit the diabilities office..i highly recommend making an appointment with the person there, so you can get to know him/her and ask them if you have any questions about anything regarding the services you need...actually, you should ask them first which services they offer for deaf students like yourself and then ask them any concerns you may have. so ya..

Being deaf/hoh does not automatically qualify you for extend examination time. The Disabled Student Service program is certainly aware of this.

Eriol said:
hi angelstar,

If I were you, I'd go to Harvard. My deaf roommate got accepted by MIT, but decided not to go because the environment at MIT is cut throat even for hearing people. I don't know how you will survive as a deaf. On the other hand, Harvard - being a liberal college and a school with better financal resources overall, will be more friendly and provide you better services than that of MIT.

Also, think about what you want to do after you graduate from college, if you do decide that you want to work in the US. Havard with its massive and well-connect alumni resource will undoubtly make your job search a lot easier, especially for international students like you.

me_punctured said:
I know exactly what you're talking about, but that is a very specific area, which is not accurately representative of the city of Berkeley itself. I can understand how many prospects and matriculated students are thrown off by the display of homelessness on Telegraph, when most of them come from the suburbs. Cal, too, is a beautiful campus, but its appearance differs from UCLA enough to not make an accurate comparison. I miss it.

The bums at Berkeley are pretty much harmless. And nothing can beat topdog =) I was just there there a few weeks ago, ah nothing beats a lemon chicken after a german =)

angelstar819 said:
Congrats. I hope your interview went successful, although it was like a couple months ago. That's really amazing you're getting your doctorate in microbiology. It seems like you have a true passion in that field. I'm currently a first year at UCLA and sadly chose this school over UC Berkeley although I did get in. I'm thinking about majoring in Biology, but it's a pretty popular and competitive major especially at this school. I'm not even considering attending medical school, since I definitely do not want to become a doctor. I might consider becoming a researcher of some sort but am not sure though. Anyway, enough about me, good luck pursuing your doctorate!! BTW, what services do you use in lectures/discussions? Captioning? Interpreters? Where did you do your undergraduate work at? Just curious...

Thanks! I've been accepted to Berkeley with a five-year fellowship. I was really excited and told almost everyone I know. :) Congrats on getting into UCLA and Berkeley! You definitely should consider majoring in biology. I fell in love with it when I took biochemistry and cell biology in junior year. Have you decided what to specialize in? Yep I will have captioning for all my classes. I'm profoundly deaf and don't sign. What services do you use? I did my undergrad at UC Davis, and I graduated at top of my class there. I was struggling in high school since I had to learn English as a second language (I'm originally from Asia). Are you planning to work at a faculty research lab at UCLA?

kalboy said:
If I were you, I'd go to Harvard. My deaf roommate got accepted by MIT, but decided not to go because the environment at MIT is cut throat even for hearing people. I don't know how you will survive as a deaf. On the other hand, Harvard - being a liberal college and a school with better financal resources overall, will be more friendly and provide you better services than that of MIT.

There are currently 3 undergrads and one grad at MIT who are deaf/HOH (that I know of, anyway). CART is used, as is CS. ASL not so much, primarily because none of us prefer it. I'm told it's hard to find translators for ASL, but that's because it's a tough environment for a terp, not because disabled services is unwilling to pay for it. It is a rigorous school, and we work incredibly hard, but (school rivalries aside) I doubt Havahd is any different in that respect.

Harvard, on the other hand ... well, I'm coming at this from the point of view of a wheelchair user, and I'm biased as an MIT student, but they are not the most friendly university to work with if you're disabled. I'm sure it could be made to work, but the attitude I got (trying to navigate a very inaccessible campus in a wheelchair was): "Oh. Well, that's how our campus is and you can take it or leave it". I didn't deal too much with disabled services, though.

Again, I'm an MIT student, so I can't be trusted, but ... go MIT! Boo Harvard! :P

I might request extended time for exams since I'm a slow/not very good reader. I'm legally blind in one eye. I requested it a few times at UC Davis. It really helped me ease my anxiety. I would provide the disability office the copies of my audiogram and eye prescription and statement from my optometrist.

thanks ismi and kalboy for the replies about Harvard and MIT! they were really informative.. and interestingly opposite. it gave me quite a bit to think about.

actually (sorry ismi) but my decision right now is leaning slightly towards Harvard. Mostly because of the financial aid -- yesterday MIT sent another financial aid letter and my parents were able to compare the aid awards from both places: MIT would cost 200x as much as Harvard because of an insanely good aid package from H and because of a huge outside scholarship I would get if I go to Harvard (but not if I go to MIT).. sigh. i still think MIT is the coolest place for electrical engineering, but then i have to consider this financial issue and my parents.. I don't want them to spend too much esp with my dad's health getting worse.
however, I've surprisingly received permission to visit Boston for Prefrosh Weekend so I'll only confirm my decision after visiting.

ismi - just out of curiosity.. as you're at MIT, do you have any idea how many deaf/hoh students there are at Harvard?

CART is used, as is CS.
also, could you clarify what CS is? (sorry, i'm coming at this blind 'cause Malaysia doesn't really have any of these services). thanks!

mimi said:
Thanks! I've been accepted to Berkeley with a five-year fellowship. I was really excited and told almost everyone I know. :) Congrats on getting into UCLA and Berkeley! You definitely should consider majoring in biology. I fell in love with it when I took biochemistry and cell biology in junior year. Have you decided what to specialize in? Yep I will have captioning for all my classes. I'm profoundly deaf and don't sign. What services do you use? I did my undergrad at UC Davis, and I graduated at top of my class there. I was struggling in high school since I had to learn English as a second language (I'm originally from Asia). Are you planning to work at a faculty research lab at UCLA?

Hey, I have not yet decided what to specialize in..I mean I'm only a freshman now..lol..but I'm thinking about maybe specializing in possibly some field related to genetics, since I've always been so fascinated by it. I'm not looking forward to all the chemistry classes I have to take for my major..I really despise chemistry, but I really dont have any other options. I am currently using real time captioning of course for my lectures, since I was raised oral and do not know any ASL. Wow, you're originally from Asia? Which country there?

mimi said:
I might request extended time for exams since I'm a slow/not very good reader. I'm legally blind in one eye. I requested it a few times at UC Davis. It really helped me ease my anxiety. I would provide the disability office the copies of my audiogram and eye prescription and statement from my optometrist.

Congratulations on being accepted by UC Berkeley. You are officially a student of the best public university in the world! =) I am a native of the Bay Area and went to Berkeley myself. Let me guess, Randy is still working at DSP right?

kalboy said:
Being deaf/hoh does not automatically qualify you for extend examination time. The Disabled Student Service program is certainly aware of this.
well, written English is hard for most dhh and we often need more time for proofread writing on the examinations.

rjr2006 said:
well, written English is hard for most dhh and we often need more time for proofread writing on the examinations.

Maybe you have a reading or writing problem that is unrelated to deafness. Deafness itself is not a kind of mental disability or physical disability that prevents you from finish your test on time.

Congratulations mimi being accepted by UC Berkeley! Wishes you the best of luck in ahead of life at UC Bereley! ;)

kalboy said:
Congratulations on being accepted by UC Berkeley. You are officially a student of the best public university in the world! =) I am a native of the Bay Area and went to Berkeley myself. Let me guess, Randy is still working at DSP right?

Thanks. You must be proud of being a Berkeley alumna! :)
Yes, Randy is still working at DSP. I have talked to him a few times.

Cheri said:
Congratulations mimi being accepted by UC Berkeley! Wishes you the best of luck in ahead of life at UC Bereley! ;)

Thanks, Cheri!

Back