School Admissions

mimi

Reaction score
I just got an invitation for interview from UC Berkeley today! The interview event is on February 2-5.

I'm applying to the PhD program in Microbiology.

Anyone else applying to colleges/universities for Fall 2006?

mimi said:
I just got an invitation for interview from UC Berkeley today! The interview event is on February 2-5.

Congratulations! Getting the attention of the nation's premier public academic institution is no simple feat. Good job!!!!!

Good luck! Looks like I may be joining you on the west coast sometime in the future. I'm aiming for Stanford's Graduate School of Business in a few years. Let's hope I get in! (Berkeley's Haas school is on my list too)

For now, though, real life has other things it wants me to do. Like make fun of Tousi on this forum. ;)

What will you do after you get your PhD?

Hi mimi,
Good job on attracting attention from Stanford. I wish you all the best on the interview and completing your PHD. Microbiology's an interesting choice!

I just recently graduated so I'm not enrolling into courses any time soon. Maybe if I find I'm keen to study something then I might go back when I'm like 30 something. :)

Miss-Delectable said:
Hi mimi,
Good job on attracting attention from Stanford. I wish you all the best on the interview and completing your PHD. Microbiology's an interesting choice!

I just recently graduated so I'm not enrolling into courses any time soon. Maybe if I find I'm keen to study something then I might go back when I'm like 30 something. :)

I think Mimi said she got an interview with Berkeley, not Stanford. ;) Lol, we all have our blonde moments. :bump:

Congratulations on graduating too! What did you study?

Thank you, Endymion. I've always dreamed of attending Berkeley.
Wow, you are applying to Stanford and Berkeley! Good Luck! I'm sure you will get in. What are you doing these days?

I want to be an academic research scientist at a university. I don't want to work at a company because of the competitive/stressful environment, especially for a hearing-impaired person. I was in a biotech company 2 years ago as a summer intern and hated it. What's your goal?

Miss-Delectable said:
Hi mimi,

Thank you. Admittedly, I never took a microbiology class. I have a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry.

Congratulations on your graduation! Are you working now?

mimi said:
Thank you, Endymion. I've always dreamed of attending Berkeley.
Wow, you are applying to Stanford and Berkeley! Good Luck! I'm sure you will get in. What are you doing these days?

Berkeley is a fantastic school. If you get a degree there, you're pretty much set for life, more or less. ;) I think you'll do great! After all, if you're an employee (as your profile says), then I think your shot is pretty solid.

These days I work in economics and finance. I'm also keen on running a few start-up firms, but I'm taking that step by step. I do some consulting work too, and that's fun!

I want to be an academic research scientist at a university. I don't want to work at a company because of the competitive/stressful environment, especially for a hearing-impaired person. I was in a biotech company 2 years ago as a summer intern and hated it. What's your goal?

I know what you mean. Corporate america can be brutal. I'm happy that you found what you like in the ivory tower of academia! What kind of research will you do?

I want an executive career in the long run, and definitely want to shoot for CEO of a major corporation. Obviously, I need a good, solid MBA first. ;)

mimi said:
Damn, You Go, Deaf Girl!

I never took Biology at Gallaudet. I didn't like to cut open dead animals and finding out gunk inside them. I have a weak constitution for that kind of thing! I could live with this microbiology thing, though! Nothing to cut up, eh? :)

In satisfaction of my Science requirement at Gally, I took General Chemistry and had tons of fun during the lab sessions.

Here's to a great career for you in those ivory towers of academicia. :)

Endymion said:
These days I work in economics and finance. I'm also keen on running a few start-up firms, but I'm taking that step by step. I do some consulting work too, and that's fun!

I know what you mean. Corporate america can be brutal. I'm happy that you found what you like in the ivory tower of academia! What kind of research will you do?

I want an executive career in the long run, and definitely want to shoot for CEO of a major corporation. Obviously, I need a good, solid MBA first. ;)

So you're doing consulting work, do you handle phone calls? Your career goal is really awesome! What motivated you to make such decision?
I've never been a business or money-type person. I have enthusiasm and an appreciation for nature. :)

I haven't decided what specific research I want to do. I'm interested in faculty researches that focus on cell and molecular biology of microbes, like cell cycle, organelles, protein structure and function, and cellular responses to stimuli/stress.

Eyeth said:
Damn, You Go, Deaf Girl!

I never took Biology at Gallaudet. I didn't like to cut open dead animals and finding out gunk inside them. I have a weak constitution for that kind of thing! I could live with this microbiology thing, though! Nothing to cut up, eh? :)

In satisfaction of my Science requirement at Gally, I took General Chemistry and had tons of fun during the lab sessions.

Here's to a great career for you in those ivory towers of academicia. :)

Sounds like you love science too. I don't like animals work neither. I worked with mice, dogs and rabbits before. I killed thousands of mice with CO2 and chloroform and stuck needles into hearts to draw all the blood out when they were still alive.

Endymion said:
I think Mimi said she got an interview with Berkeley, not Stanford. ;) Lol, we all have our blonde moments. :bump:

Congratulations on graduating too! What did you study?

How did you know I'm a blonde? :shock:

Thanks, I studied Bachelor of Arts and majored in Politics and History. Lost my ambition and desire to study Honour, MA and PHD, heh.

Someday, I reckon I might like to try my luck at learning languages such as Swedish or something.

mimi said:
Thank you. Admittedly, I never took a microbiology class. I have a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry.

Congratulations on your graduation! Are you working now?

Despite never having studied Microbiology, I do think you have a chance to study that.

Thanks. No, I'm on a hiatus and have yet to procure an job. Hoping to find one this year or I'll go bonker. :)

mimi said:

<<< :)

Congrats. I hope your interview went successful, although it was like a couple months ago. That's really amazing you're getting your doctorate in microbiology. It seems like you have a true passion in that field. I'm currently a first year at UCLA and sadly chose this school over UC Berkeley although I did get in. I'm thinking about majoring in Biology, but it's a pretty popular and competitive major especially at this school. I'm not even considering attending medical school, since I definitely do not want to become a doctor. I might consider becoming a researcher of some sort but am not sure though. Anyway, enough about me, good luck pursuing your doctorate!! BTW, what services do you use in lectures/discussions? Captioning? Interpreters? Where did you do your undergraduate work at? Just curious...

angelstar819 said:
I'm currently a first year at UCLA and sadly chose this school over UC Berkeley although I did get in. I'm thinking about majoring in Biology, but it's a pretty popular and competitive major especially at this school. I'm not even considering attending medical school, since I definitely do not want to become a doctor. I might consider becoming a researcher of some sort but am not sure though.

I actually grew up a stone's throw away from UCLA and took courses there when I was in high school. It's a gorgeous university overall. Why do I detect regret in your tone about picking UCLA over Berkeley? How do you like UCLA?

Both schools, in my opinion, are comparable in academic quality, especially when it comes to studying biology. The competition is fierece, but if you can work on your studies diligently and establish good relationships with your professors for potential opportunities. I actually thought it was more competitive to get in UCLA than Berkeley because more prospects want to live in Los Angeles!

Congratulations! I've not been to Berkeley, but I've heard many good things about it.

YES, UCLA is a beautiful campus with LOVELY brick buildings. Everyday when I walk to my classes, I enjoy the great architecture on campus. I'm sorry for giving you the wrong impression..I definitely have no regrets for choosing UCLA over Berkeley. I really like it here--the food's awesome, there's wonderful professors who care around teaching, and the people are great. Plus, being from SoCal, I wanted to be close to home. Although Berkeley's the number one public university in the nation, after visiting there, I didn't feel like I could fit in there. There were bums surrounding the campus which made me feel insecure and not to mention the awful smell. It used to be that UCLA is more competitive than Berkeley because of its nice campus, but now I think it's the other way, probably because of Berkeley's prestige and rankings. Gosh, I hope I can survive all four years here as a Biology major...

angelstar819 said:
YES, UCLA is a beautiful campus with LOVELY brick buildings. Everyday when I walk to my classes, I enjoy the great architecture on campus. I'm sorry for giving you the wrong impression..I definitely have no regrets for choosing UCLA over Berkeley. I really like it here--the food's awesome, there's wonderful professors who care around teaching, and the people are great. Plus, being from SoCal, I wanted to be close to home. Although Berkeley's the number one public university in the nation, after visiting there, I didn't feel like I could fit in there. There were bums surrounding the campus which made me feel insecure and not to mention the awful smell. It used to be that UCLA is more competitive than Berkeley because of its nice campus, but now I think it's the other way, probably because of Berkeley's prestige and rankings. Gosh, I hope I can survive all four years here as a Biology major...

I know exactly what you're talking about, but that is a very specific area, which is not accurately representative of the city of Berkeley itself. I can understand how many prospects and matriculated students are thrown off by the display of homelessness on Telegraph, when most of them come from the suburbs. Cal, too, is a beautiful campus, but its appearance differs from UCLA enough to not make an accurate comparison. I miss it.

transition to college

Hi! this is to the deaf people out there (there seem to be a number in this thread too) who are in mainstream US universities. my attention was caught when i noticed that some of you are at UCLA and other highly competitive universities in the US. i'm interested in knowing how life is at these unis for deaf people, as come september this will be my situation.

I am a Malaysian studying on scholarship in Lester B Pearson United World College, Canada (doing the IB, a pre-university course, equal to grade 12 in the US i believe). i am profoundly deaf, but was also educated mainstream. i've been accepted to both harvard and MIT for entrance this september.

since i don't know any deaf people at universities in the US, i was wondering if anyone in this thread could give me some pointers -- what to expect, how's the transition from high school to university for a deaf person..?

i'd be very grateful. thank you!

job well done!

good luck!

I'm heading back to school in SE region this fall. I finally found something I want to do. It took me a while. Jeez.....I cant wait! (I cld go now) but I'm working right now to save extra money.....

Back