schedule A

paperclip

Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently applying for jobs through schedule A.

I was wondering if your audiologist used a specific format to write your schedule A letter or did they write a general letter?

Did they include explicit details about your hearing loss?

Thanks!

My audiologist wrote my Schedule A so that it reflected the history of my hearing loss and summary kind of thing. I don't know if this is the right format or anything either because the HR gov't agencies haven't contacted me directly about it before.. they've just sent general emails and replies back about their agencies. :dunno:

Government advisors have said to put "5 CFR 213.3102 (u)" inside your resume and cover letter so apparently their scanning technology can know that you're Schedule A eligible.

I did see that they offered a template online, I suggested it to my audi before but they sort of ignored it...

This is the template they have up from resources off gov websites:

Seems my audi didn't follow the format at all.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScheduleA.jpg
    ScheduleA.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 76
Last time I recalled, just make a copy of your audio history and file it to mail it to schedule A office. but i dont know about 2011 that can change over years.

What Naisho said. That form will work just fine.

Contact me for more advice using the Sched. A process. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of government hiring managers and HR personnel are full of hypocrisy when it comes to diversity hires and don't care if you have schedule A or not. There has been a mandate for years now to hire disabled people at up to 10% of the federal workforce. The number has never, ever, gone over 2%.

And nobody cares. :(

What Naisho said. That form will work just fine.

Contact me for more advice using the Sched. A process. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of government hiring managers and HR personnel are full of hypocrisy when it comes to diversity hires and don't care if you have schedule A or not. There has been a mandate for years now to hire disabled people at up to 10% of the federal workforce. The number has never, ever, gone over 2%.

And nobody cares. :(

That's b/c of all the fucking discrimination, and the fact that when they stopped using the res schools, they broke the back of dhh networking. Hearing people are SO fucking prejudicated against dhh, blind/low vision etc people and there is nothing that can be done to correct that at ALL!

That's b/c of all the fucking discrimination, and the fact that when they stopped using the res schools, they broke the back of dhh networking. Hearing people are SO fucking prejudicated against dhh, blind/low vision etc people and there is nothing that can be done to correct that at ALL!

I am talking about ALL disabilities, not just d/hh. It might very well be discrimination, but I think it has more to do with insensitive, ineffective government HR and management level that do not take the noncompete hiring seriously. I will be talking to an ADA lawfirm about this in the coming months. It really needs to stop. For a certain percentage of vacancies, disabled people who are qualified for a position and are able to perform the functions adequately should get it on a first come/first serve basis.

What I am seeing is that the schedule A simply helps the candidate get through the HR gatekeepers and have their application forwarded to a hiring manager. That's it. They've still got to be the top candidate if they want the job. That goes against what Schedule A was set up for in the first place.

I have no idea how the res schools fits into this. I don't think that's part of it. Sorry.

I am talking about ALL disabilities, not just d/hh. It might very well be discrimination, but I think it has more to do with insensitive, ineffective government HR and management level that do not take the noncompete hiring seriously. I will be talking to an ADA lawfirm about this in the coming months. It really needs to stop. For a certain percentage of vacancies, disabled people who are qualified for a position and are able to perform the functions adequately should get it on a first come/first serve basis.

What I am seeing is that the schedule A simply helps the candidate get through the HR gatekeepers and have their application forwarded to a hiring manager. That's it. They've still got to be the top candidate if they want the job. That goes against what Schedule A was set up for in the first place.

I have no idea how the res schools fits into this. I don't think that's part of it. Sorry.

I know......79% of people with disabilties are unemployed. But that's also due to the fact that "disabilty" in the US means basicly you have sky high healthcare costs, and cannot afford to work. (ie you collect disabilty) Most disabilty is aquirred or the result of health conditions....like cancer or diabetes or old age.
Being born with or aquirring a disabilty at an early age is pretty unusual...so as a result, we're hard to serve. In the old days, we could depend on networking with the res schools to know where the deaf/blind/whatever friendly jobs were. Now it's a lot harder....do you see?

Hrmmm....I was actually hired through Schedule A by the federal government when I worked for them for almost a year.

I never heard about it at all until the HR guy told me that they can hire me through Schedule A and told me just to get a letter from my speech therapist or audiologist. All he have to say was I'm deaf. I pretty much found the whole process painless. But I still have to go through the process in order to be selected against other applicants (ie-send in resume, get interviewed twice, and wait a month before finding out I got the job, etc), as TWA noted.

And yes, I agree, there should be stronger employment of individuals with disabilities. Have you guys ever heard of Lime Connect? I'm actually part of it, though it's mostly targeted at disabled college students.

Hrmmm....I was actually hired through Schedule A by the federal government when I worked for them for almost a year.

I never heard about it at all until the HR guy told me that they can hire me through Schedule A and told me just to get a letter from my speech therapist or audiologist. All he have to say was I'm deaf. I pretty much found the whole process painless. But I still have to go through the process in order to be selected against other applicants (ie-send in resume, get interviewed twice, and wait a month before finding out I got the job, etc), as TWA noted.

And yes, I agree, there should be stronger employment of individuals with disabilities. Have you guys ever heard of Lime Connect? I'm actually part of it, though it's mostly targeted at disabled college students.

Then what exactly does Schedule A do?

*shrugs*

I already got a job and got paid pretty well--just not too bad (and got a co-authored published paper out of it). IMO, this particular federal government agency should improve their management and priorities (something I noticed while working under them).

But while I was working for this agency, they had hired a lot more individuals with disabilities than I had expected....so yeah....

Unfortunately Schedule A doesn't apply to USDA-FSIS apparently. Oh well, I've moved on.

Back