Saying 'not'/making a negative.

morphocoelestis

Reaction score
I have seen two ways to say 'not'/make something negative, ex. can into cannot. The first is pulling you thumb under your chin or the second having one index finger out and striking it down with the other. What is the difference between these two signs? When do you use one versus the other?

I have seen two ways to say 'not'/make something negative, ex. can into cannot. The first is pulling you thumb under your chin or the second having one index finger out and striking it down with the other. What is the difference between these two signs? When do you use one versus the other?

The second one you described I have seen used only as the specific sign for "can't" rather than as a sign to denote a negative form of other signs.

Same here. The first one with the thumb under the chin outward is the sign for not which makes something negative. Or you can do it with facial expression and shaking your head no. You can sign not like or you can simply sign like with shaking your head no and a unhappy look on your face for stating that you don't like something.

Yep, or for instances when you want to say something like "don't think", "don't know", "don't like" or "don't want" you simply make the sign and then turn the sign outward away from the body to make it into the negative.

Back