Saying Hi and About Me

Hello and welcome. Great posts here!!!!

I have friends who are deaf/HOH that do web designs.

Hello and welcome. Great posts here!!!!

I have friends who are deaf/HOH that do web designs.

It's a fun hobby that I taught myself that turned into a job at some point. The nice thing about is that it doesn't require as much face-to-face or phone conversations to do.

Really? MILD multi kids?!?!? I could understand denying SEVERE multi kids, as those kids aren't educationally deaf....they're severe multi ...different kettle of fish,but most mild multi kids can still learn!....or was PSD oral back then? I've heard of kids who weren't exactly oral sucesses being asked to leave or being dx as mentally disabled...then they got transfered to sign programs and did MUCH better
my hearing loss was in the severe to profound range (broad guess)- might have been just severe that young- I was about 4 or so at the time but my mother did start me on the John Tracy course so technically I was already leaning to the 'oral' side. Vision wise I wore bifocals with super strong prescription (cataracts removed so aphakic- no natural lenses). I'm still not sure why in the world they took me to be tested at PSD either lol. I guess they were checking all options at the time which were either oral or sign- nothing in between.

I visited PSD many years later for a job interview and they were pretty much focused more as ASL but a lot of other things changed between the '60s to the '90s there.

How long ago did this happen? My teacher in first grade thought I was 'retarded' b/c I was failing first grade for the second time. She decided to give me a hearing test and found out I was HOH and not 'retarded'. This happen a lot when I was growing up in the 50's.

Would be about 1967-1969 somewhere in that range. Definitely before 1970 when I started going to the local elementary school. I don't know when I was officially diagnosed as I think they knew about mom having rubella in the first 2-3 weeks of pregnancy- got hearing aids(and glasses) at 2 years old- for some reason I remember the office where I used to go and my pic was the only pic that was not a baby under a year old. (We still have that pic and I apparently was screaming with mouth wide open when they snapped the pic...:P).

It's about the same as it is today, classified as severe-to-profound hearing loss. With most of the high frequencies being in the profound range. I do wonder how much of my life would've changed if I had experience with a deaf/blind community.

That is REALLY weird.....You were deaf enough to go...severe-profound IS deaf enough......and yeah, just imagine!.

Back