Same Sex Marriage Ban Amendment -FAILED

SilverPanda

Reaction score
The President Administration wanted to pass an amendment banning same sex marriage and it was voted on yesterday and it failed. This is great news!!

Yahoo story

I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and this makes me happy because I can finally see them being married legally to someone who they love. Yes I know some people disagree and believe that marriage should be for man and woman only. That was OLD times, this is today! We're a new society with advancements in technology and science, changes in trends and how things are done. Before women were not allowed to work, and now women can. I think this is a giant step into changing the future.

SilverPanda said:
The President Administration wanted to pass an amendment banning same sex marriage and it was voted on yesterday and it failed. This is great news!!

Yahoo story

I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and this makes me happy because I can finally see them being married legally to someone who they love. Yes I know some people disagree and believe that marriage should be for man and woman only. That was OLD times, this is today! We're a new society with advancements in technology and science, changes in trends and how things are done. Before women were not allowed to work, and now women can. I think this is a giant step into changing the future.

This doesn't mean same sex marriage is legal. It only means that the Federal government cannot prevent states from legalizing it, such as what Massachusetts has done. It is up to each individual state's government to decide whether to allow it or not. So far, when votes have come up whether to allow same sex marriage or not, it has been voted down. In 2004, 11 states voted no to allowing same sex marrage. This year, 7 more states will have votes on the matter.

guido said:
This doesn't mean same sex marriage is legal. It only means that the Federal government cannot prevent states from legalizing it, such as what Massachusetts has done. It is up to each individual state's government to decide whether to allow it or not. So far, when votes have come up whether to allow same sex marriage or not, it has been voted down. In 2004, 11 states voted no to allowing same sex marrage. This year, 7 more states will have votes on the matter.

yes I'm aware of that, but if the amendment had passed then it would have been illegal in all states. this is just a small step forward.

SilverPanda said:
I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and this makes me happy because I can finally see them being married legally to someone who they love.

Then this statement was misleading me to think you didn't realize that. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

It's not really a step forward, just a prevention of us taking a step backward. Nothing has changed really.

Status quo.

Teresh said:
It's not really a step forward, just a prevention of us taking a step backward. Nothing has changed really.

Status quo.

Absolutely true.

I am just really happy we didn't take a step backward.

why ban gay marriage when it isn't even legal anyway?

Bigots and some Conservatives do not want gay marriage to be ban
because they don't want the word "gay" in the constitution.

So nobody won victory. It is a silly law. Gays marrying each other
on Jerry Springer show 10 years ago...

Nothing new.

I can't believe people are even wasting time on this. If you are against gay marriage then feel free not to marry someone of the same sex. Nobody is hurting you. People who stress about it need to get other hobbies. There are more important issues out there than who's doing who; which by the way is nobody's business as long as it's two consenting adults.

FreedummyRing said:
...Bigots and some Conservatives do not want gay marriage to be ban because they don't want the word "gay" in the constitution....
Huh?

It is such a shame that our society has come to such a level that we even need to consider a Constitutional amendment in order to protect holy matrimony. :(

The even worse shame is that people can't even see what is wrong with allowing homosexual "marriage".

SilverPanda said:
...I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and this makes me happy because I can finally see them being married legally to someone who they love. Yes I know some people disagree and believe that marriage should be for man and woman only. That was OLD times, this is today! We're a new society with advancements in technology and science, changes in trends and how things are done. Before women were not allowed to work, and now women can. I think this is a giant step into changing the future.
What on earth do advances in technology have to do with throwing away morality?

Why do you think all change is for the better?

Where did you learn "before women were not allowed to work"? Other than the aristocracy, I think the women of past generations would be quite shocked to find out they weren't "working"!

It is such a shame that our society has come to such a level that we even need to consider a Constitutional amendment in order to protect holy matrimony.

The even worse shame is that people can't even see what is wrong with allowing homosexual "marriage".
Reba, this marriage contract is between the PEOPLE involved and THE STATE. It does NOT affect the greater society. It is a PRIVATE contract.
So what IS wrong with allowing same-sex marriage? We simply want the same rights and privilages that hetrosexuals have in THEIR state sanctioned marriages! Why the heck should we be denied the right to visit someone we love more then life itself in the hospital, why should we be denied family benifits and so on and so on? Churches don't have to allow gays to marry.....but it's just an agreement between the state and two people, that formally legitimizes a relationship!

Horray for the good news. Bush seems to like to control this country. Enough of him. One more year and half to go - Bush will be gone for good!

Dino65 said:
Horray for the good news. Bush seems to like to control this country. Enough of him. One more year and half to go - Bush will be gone for good!

We think. Leave it up to the current fascist administration to come up with some reason to keep itself in power even after the end of the term.

If there is legal for same-sex-marriage, then I'll pretend to marry the guy and get benefit. That's so easy. I am so excite.

If, some of you think it is a " giant step forward " for a better change that will also include other things where some true believers will stand and protest ... then, our " future " will become irreversible. Can't go back to the way it was where it was supposed to be. In the future, we are more likely to welcome " white " means " black " or " black " means "white " -- without knowin' any difference. In the future, there will be no " truth " in it because, no body will know the different anymore.

It's sad to recognize that in the future, children will not know what the truth is, because of what happened today could affect the future. It's goin' to be very hard on children.

Back