Rollercoaster Ride

LittleCat

Reaction score
I got my first pair of HA's last Thursday after becoming hard of hearing at age 15 months...I am now 38 and this has been challenging!

Part of me wants to take them and throw them in the toilet so I can be 'back to normal,' whatever that is. Part of me is really grateful to be able to hear people clearly and sometimes just hear them at all. This loud new world is stressful at times and other times I create noise just to hear it.

I find myself thinking I don't need HA's, then I get home and take them out only to realize how much I do need them.

Yep-I am on a see-saw between denial and acceptance. I guess maybe I am mourning. I also seem to be a bit more emotional all around since Thursday...or Friday really cuz Thursday I was like a kid in a candy store, Friday I started realizing how noisy this world is and all the background noise my brain is trying to figure out.

I know it will get easier, it is not easy to have a big change.

Thanks for listening:ty:

Welcome!

Yeah, the world is noisy, very noisy.

Since you haven't wore hearing aids in so long, that's why everything is sooo loud to you. I know that sometimes if I don't wear hearing aids for a week or so, then I put on my hearing aids on, everything seems soo loud, but then once my ears adjust, it's not loud.

Give your ears some time! You'll start to hear sounds that you actually will enjoy!

I wish you best of luck!

LittleCat,

Did your audiologist refer you to anyone to help you cope with them? If not, go back to the audie and tell what you're experiencing and that you need training how to hear with them. I received ha's when I was going into fifth grade and, come the first day of school, had all kinds of people helping me learn to function with them. Remember, turning them off is not always and should not be an option. You can and should, however, turn them down. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk, I care.

Thank you for the ideas-I will call and see what I get find out re:help.

Someone on another post mentioned about when hearing/hearing better for the first time can be disorienting-and I definitly feel that. But it is getting a little less each day :cool:

Back