Roku vs. Apple TV for Netflix Captioning

MomToDeafChild

Reaction score
Hi! We currently watch Netflix streamed through an Xbox, and have never run across a single movie/tv show that hasn't been captioned. However, that is the kid's tv, and we want to be able to stream to our tv in the living room, so I am looking to see what I can use to do so.

My brother gave me his old bluray player when he upgraded, and it has the ability to stream Netflix. I hooked it all up, yet there were no captions on Netflix. After researching, I found that this model bluray player doesn't have the capability (too old). I thought to just buy a new bluray player that does have the capability, but frankly, we don't even watch hard copy movies, we stream everything, so it seems like a waste to buy a bluray just to stream through.

My next thought was the Roku or Apple TV boxes. But which one is best? Anyone have either of these who can post their experiences with captioning on Netflix through either of these devices? Thanks!

Apple TV s captioning programs are lots but some old movies are not captioned. Can create new style… You can change the font, size, and color of the text and the color and opacity of the background.

Apple TV s captioning programs are lots but some old movies are not captioned. Can create new style… You can change the font, size, and color of the text and the color and opacity of the background.
Really? You can change Netflix's caption style through Apple TV?

I wish Roku had that option. I hate my yellow font captioning! Hard to read whenever there's a white background. -_-

I wish Roku had that option. I hate my yellow font captioning! Hard to read whenever there's a white background. -_-

Yeah, My PS3's Netfilx had yellow font. A kid wore a white T-shirt. I cannot read it.

My PC's Netflix had yellow font.

My Apple TV had option color, font styles and size.

Last edited:
You can also run your own captions with Handbrake/srt files/mp4 files for iTunes then stream them in appleTV... We do that :) boyfriend also set up a computer that will tape shows in windows media with the captions on them. The computer uses the TV screen as a monitor.

Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards the Apple TV anyway, and it seems like that might be the best solution for us.

That's nice but did you try Netflix's own captions? Are they changeable, too? If so, then it's even better.

Yes, Netflix was own yellow captions on Apple TV before we changed to create own favorite styles when installed new updated firmware to add new accessibility feature on Apple TV. Apple s captions is better than Netflix s yellow captions

Yes, Netflix was own yellow captions on Apple TV before we changed to create own favorite styles when installed new updated firmware to add new accessibility feature on Apple TV. Apple s captions is better than Netflix s yellow captions
Yes? Then as of now, Apple TV 6.0 is a best choice for those Netflix subscribers who hate yellow subtitles.

Yes? Then as of now, Apple TV 6.0 is a best choice for those Netflix subscribers who hate yellow subtitles.

Alright! If turn off "Closed Captions + SDH setting on Apple TV, return back to yellow subtitles of Netflix programs.

I may buy other next-gen Apple TV box in starting next year.

Back