Roku 3. Channels that offer captions

kevinbellamy

Reaction score
I'll be purchasing a Roku 3 next month and was wondering which channels to add and which channels to avoid wasting my time with.

Im aware that Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video offer captions on most of their content and there are channels for foreign films with embedded subtitles. I.E. Asian Crush but what other channels would you recommend?

Thanks

Apple TV is better than Roku. Better CC text and subtitles on Apple TV.

Apple TV is better than Roku. Better CC text and subtitles on Apple TV.

Care to elaborate when you type 'better'?
Are you referring to customized text options or what?
The quality of the fonts?

From what I read Apple TV is not Amazon Instant Video-Friendly and currently thats all I have. i do plan on getting Netflix soon however

New Subtitles & Captioning – Automatic subtitle selection based on Apple TV language setting. Customize closed caption style.

Text: Any Fonts, sizes, color. Background: Color and opacity. Advanced: Text opacity, text edge style and text highlight

See image on my post
http://www.alldeaf.com/2233506-post48.html

Netflix has yellow captions and that's annoying at times because it's hard to read on certain backgrounds.

Netflix has yellow captions and that's annoying at times because it's hard to read on certain backgrounds.

Yellow captioning text on it was on Apple TV before updating software. Any color , font and size. Better than old one.

New Subtitles & Captioning – Automatic subtitle selection based on Apple TV language setting. Customize closed caption style.

Text: Any Fonts, sizes, color. Background: Color and opacity. Advanced: Text opacity, text edge style and text highlight

See image on my post
http://www.alldeaf.com/2233506-post48.html

That does sound impressive honestly. Ive been watching movies on Neflix all week and I cant seem to find any type of options like youre mentioning. Sad. Amazon does allow various sizes, colors and b/g styles though

I'll look mor into Apple TV shortly

Wirelessly posted

Do you have own Apple TV?

Wirelessly posted

Delete

Last edited:
Yup yup

I own a Roku now and I've used my friends AppleTV a lot.

A lot of channels have captions for their shows but it's not an ALL or NONE issue. I.e. History channel has a lot of their TV shows captioned but a few of them don't have captions.

Personally I like the Roku better for the price and for the options of channels it provides.

However, BOTH the Roku and AppleTV offer pretty much the same type of channels. The only big difference is that if you own apple products, you can mirror your devices to the AppleTV but you can't do that if you have an Android. There are a lot of apps to do similar things on the Roku (for both Android and iPhone).

Caption-wise it's my experience that with AppleTV the subtitles are not synced well with Amizon Prime. They are fine with other those. I haven't experienced any issues with Roku. You can change the caption style on BOTH. However I think Netflix is locked into their yellow subtitles and there isn't anyway to change that from what I can tell.

I've also used the Chromecast and that's a boring piece of crap that's very annoying to control because you HAVE to use your phone, tablet, or computer to control anything with it and it's a pain especially when you're multitasking or if you want to give control to another person. If it had a remote, that would have been nicer. Also, the Chromecast is slooooow.

I own a Roku now and I've used my friends AppleTV a lot.

A lot of channels have captions for their shows but it's not an ALL or NONE issue. I.e. History channel has a lot of their TV shows captioned but a few of them don't have captions.

Personally I like the Roku better for the price and for the options of channels it provides.

However, BOTH the Roku and AppleTV offer pretty much the same type of channels. The only big difference is that if you own apple products, you can mirror your devices to the AppleTV but you can't do that if you have an Android. There are a lot of apps to do similar things on the Roku (for both Android and iPhone).

Caption-wise it's my experience that with AppleTV the subtitles are not synced well with Amizon Prime. They are fine with other those. I haven't experienced any issues with Roku. You can change the caption style on BOTH. However I think Netflix is locked into their yellow subtitles and there isn't anyway to change that from what I can tell.

I've also used the Chromecast and that's a boring piece of crap that's very annoying to control because you HAVE to use your phone, tablet, or computer to control anything with it and it's a pain especially when you're multitasking or if you want to give control to another person. If it had a remote, that would have been nicer. Also, the Chromecast is slooooow.

If you own your MacBook Pro, AirPlay mirroring lets you send what’s on your Mac screen to an HDTV wirelessly with Apple TV. Can watch Amazon Prime movie or tv on MacBook pro to AirPlay mirroring into Apple TV.

Back