RIT CS major has difficulty finding job

Theseus said:
This article is 6 years old but my sister shared it with me yesterday so I'm wondering if this is still a problem for deaf CS and IT related majors graduating from RIT?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1035496.html

I'm sure it's still a problem, today. My gf didn't get a job just because she's deaf and can't communicate by lipreading. You know how companies are. They like to hire people who CAN use the flopping lips and don't use paper and pen or signing gestures.

Don't know but our school district (Guilderland Central School District) has an opening for a Computer & Network Technician. I know *I* certainly wouldn't have a problem with a Deaf co-worker (I'm also a computer Tech at GCS). Additionally, the district is the main district in the Capital District of NY to mainstream all the Deaf students for K-12. So, what could be better than hiring a Deaf Technician for the students to see as a role model?

I think the company I work for is the exception, rather than the rule. Since we do VRS for a business, many of our techs (in fact nearly ALL of our tech support team) are deaf.

I work in the IT department for the company, and only recently have we hired our first deaf/hard-of-hearing individual. I've learned a TON from him, and realize he has a work ethic like no other I've seen before. Works hard, and is very creative with communication. He can read lips well, so that works to his advantage, and he can enunciate words and speak quite well.

However, I'm learning ASL as it seems the most effective way to communicate. I think that if more of us in IT become more aware, we can realize there is a HUGE resource available to departments all over the world. Communication is a non-issue with all of the technology today (VRS, IM, e-mail, etc.)

Back