Risk of Bacterial Meningitis and Death in Children with Cochlear Implants

Hey, Iv got a question. I dont know if its already been asked and answered in this thread but...

I had a meningitis vacination(the one specifically for ci patients)before surgery. Do I need it again?

I asked my surgeon about this, he said that the Pneumococcal meningitis. (which i have) is once for life. Best to ask your surgeon/ci centre or GP.

I also had the Meningococcal A + C in 2000 for my travels, i would need repeat booster at 5th year but i never got around it since i am not in close quarters like at UNI, Boarding school, sharing rooms with alot of people at long periods of times.

What if they set up an alert system in the computer that sends an email the the audis, the ENTs, and the parents reminding that a vaccine is due?

Thats a good point. I remember when i was at school, my School dealt with the jabs since it was boarding school and everyone get same jabs with parent's consent which the forms were sent out during summer holidays for the to sign and we bring them back to school in new school year and at the end of school year we were given cards of each jabs we recieved for us to keep.

Prior to my CI surgery I got the form requesting me to have Pneumococcal meningitis vacc and it must be stamped and signed by GP's Nurse then posted directly to the surgeon/PA to ensure that i am upto date with the jab and the surgery date can be booked. In their words, no jab ~ no surgery.

Back