Rip DVDs with closed captioning

DickS

Reaction score
Hey..

I am trying to find a way to RIP my collection of DVDs to make M4V or MP4 files that I can load onto my iMac, my MacBook Pro or my iPad to watch - with Quick Time.

Since I have a hearing loss, I really appreciate using closed captioning when watching movies. There are some voices that I just cannot understand - despite my great Phonak hearing aids and my ComPilot system. many DVDs now have a closed captioning track that I can play with my DVD player.

Although I can RIP my DVDs with the software I'm using - I cannot find a way to include the closed captioning information - or to have it shown when I play the movie in QuickTime.

Can anyone explain the nature of the closed captioning "track" on a DVD - and how to record it and play it back on my computer or iPad?

If you have a RIP system that works -- can you describe it here for us to see, buy, and use?

Many thanks.

Dick

I don't have time to explain more, but I have done it with Handbrake.

I use handbrake. If you don't want to flatten the file for watching on iPad/iphone you can also use VLC player to watch with srt files.

Thanks for the responses. I have had some success with Mac DVDRipper Pro and HandBrake with my Macs.

The biggest hurdle was that most of my DVDs do not have a closed captioning track - so there is nothing to copy. My newest DVDs do have a track and I was able to copy it. I can now use cc on the mp4 and m4v copies - on my iMac, on my MacBook Pro, and on my iPad.

I look forward to the day when all DVDs as well as my ROKU and Netflix movies will have closed captioning.

Dick

if worst comes to worst theres also an app you can download that pulls the srt files offline and times them on your phone (or iPad) - you download ahead of time. It's called Subtitles from the iTunes app store and it's a black icon with a little orange symbol on it.

Back