Rice?

Rice: vegetable or pasta?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

pinkster

Megladon and I got in a bit of a debate about what is rice?

What do you think? Vegetable or pasta?

The food pyramid says it goes in the "bread, rice, pasta and cereal" category. (So does my mom.)

The other side says because it grows out of the ground, it is a vegetable.

Vote!! :) Solve our dilemma, if you have proof, good!

Rice is a carb...so I'd say pinkster's mom has a point...it's kinda up there with pasta and bread IMO. :)

Wheat wich is used to make flour wich is used to make bread, pasta ect. grows in the ground but it's not a veg.

Bread, Cereal, Rice & Pasta Group

Here's Pyramid to show where the rice belongs:

ummm.....beats me, I dunno.. all I know is that ' rice ' is a good delicacy ( tasty food )... :mrgreen:

Oh btw, I forgot to say I voted ' Pasta ' just a guess! :ily:

Last edited:
CyberRed said:
Here's Pyramid to show where the rice belongs:
wow.. prymid had changed.. i remmy when i was in high school there's only 5 groups.. now its 6

but i personally believe rice should move to veg group.. after all the reasearch is done :D

DeafSCUBA98 said:
wow.. prymid had changed.. i remmy when i was in high school there's only 5 groups.. now its 6

but i personally believe rice should move to veg group.. after all the reasearch is done :D

Do you have a link that shows the rice should move to vegetable group after all the research you just discovered ? I would like to read it. :)

Rice is bread - I seen rice in root (arkansas) and it is part of bread group. :)

Malfoyish said:
Rice is a carb...so I'd say pinkster's mom has a point...it's kinda up there with pasta and bread IMO. :)

Well.. to be honest with you... I grew up in America.. I was freaking pasta, etc.... I went to Hong Kong, China for six months. They influence me to eat rice three meals a day for six months. I could not live without rice when I came back to America.

I heard alot about carb lately with Atkins Diet and South Beach, etc... I become more less to eat bread, potatoe, rice, pasta, corn and peas. Carb makes your body staying in fat. I was struggled to lose weight for years.. I become more eat less carb food. I lost 25 lbs within two years.

I realized carb is really killing our weight problem !! Of course, I love rice but psychology told my mind "do not eat that rice" I want to lose 50 more lbs due to my age and health. My knees are killing me due to over weight.

It is time for me to thinking about what I eat everyday with carb food ! I heard, South Beach is amazed to help people to lose weight with declious food. I haven't try that program yet.

Yes, I'm agree that rice belong to vegetable group because rice grow from plant from the ground (under the water) but it still belong to Carb. group.

Banana is a fruit but it belong to Carb. group...

I can't vote one because I vote BOTH because both are important for our body like what I said at other post. Sigh... only one vote... then I vote "Who give Fuck..." :lol:

I use carb. & protein with neutral group at combine diet...

Sabrina, Rice is good for you if you eat ONLY rice all the day ONCE a week with plenty of drinking water.
"Rice Day"
"Fruit Day"
"Vegetable Day".
(not every day)... just once a week or once a month whatever you want to. It help you to keep your weight same... if you ate alot at parties then do with Rice Day, Fruit Day or Vegetable Day on next day... it helps... :lol:

Last edited:
well, with 50% of the votes, and supertarget selling lemmons, lol i guess so far i'm winning. :kiss: Sorry, i'll let it go now.

Megladon said:
well, with 50% of the votes, and supertarget selling lemmons, lol i guess so far i'm winning. :kiss: Sorry, i'll let it go now.

=/ Its just a matter of opinion, just like people argue whether tomatoes are a fruit or a vegetable (and they are a fruit.) :squint:

pinkster said:
=/ Its just a matter of opinion, just like people argue whether tomatoes are a fruit or a vegetable (and they are a fruit.) :squint:

In that respect i think thats :bsflag: lol. I still believe them to be a vegetable. The only reason anyone ever said they were a fruit was so that they would have to pay less tax on them because fruits were taxed less or something, i dont recall this was over 200 years ago.

Megladon said:
In that respect i think thats :bsflag: lol. I still believe them to be a vegetable. The only reason anyone ever said they were a fruit was so that they would have to pay less tax on them because fruits were taxed less or something, i dont recall this was over 200 years ago.

psh.. you recently disagreed with me when my mom and I were talking about tomatoes being a fruit so :P

Update on rice, its not pasta nor a vegetable!! Its a grain! Like barley or flour! :)

awww The Lover Birds are having some Disagreement.. Hey Jamie and Megladon Kiss and Make Up. :giggle:

Pinkster is correct.

I copied and pasted it here from the Food Guide Pyramid.

At the base of the Food Guide Pyramid are breads, cereals, rice, and pasta - all foods from grains. You need the servings of these foods each day.

Its good for us to refresh our minds again since we did learn when we were kids which was long time ago.

Last edited:
Defee said:
Pinkster is right..rice is a grain like wheat and is grown from seeds...

Ok, so flowers are a type of grain, how about watermellon? Because it grows from a seed only means its a plant. I knew it couldnt qualify as a pasta because pasta is a man made product, while rice is natural, thus a strong contender for vegi.

Back