Reverse audism, cont'd

asongofhands

Reaction score
The thread was closed before I could respond. Frisky Feline, I looked at the friend and made some sort of frantic "interpret" sign combined with spoken "Will you??"

Thanks for your support. It was a very painful experience.

Danger Will Robinson!

Pretty sure resurrection closed threads not best idea.

It needs to be discussed though. A lot of people did some introspecting.

Asongofhands: Now I have a few questions for you - but first, I am sorry you had to endure that experience.

Now, what is "deafism"? What was your goal behind coining that word? Was it done out of anger? Did the whole community do it to you, hence "deafism" or was it just one person being a dumbass?

Hi PFH - I had seen the word "Deafism" in other posts, here and in the blogosphere. I did not coin it. I have absolutely no malice towards the Deaf community...I am attempting in my small way to understand and be a part of it.

Hi PFH - I had seen the word "Deafism" in other posts, here and in the blogosphere. I did not coin it. I have absolutely no malice towards the Deaf community...I am attempting in my small way to understand and be a part of it.

Alright. I would attempt to find who came up with Deafism because I do not see Deaf people using it at all.

Furthermore: Using it enforces the division of the community and that is not a bright idea. (Same goes for deaf,Deaf... Everyone is a Deaf person in my eyes.)

But I think that incident that you experienced had no label to it, other than the person being a dumbass.

This is a good topic, I got a lot out of it.

i appreciate your reply for this. i think this person who you were talking with, is wrong. overall, i m glad you are ok now. that is all matter. :/

Alright. I would attempt to find who came up with Deafism because I do not see Deaf people using it at all.
Furthermore: Using it enforces the division of the community and that is not a bright idea. (Same goes for deaf,Deaf... Everyone is a Deaf person in my eyes.)
But I think that incident that you experienced had no label to it, other than the person being a dumbass.

PFH, I have no idea who first came up with it. I enjoy your posts and I'm glad you want to continue this discussion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU0IX5VY5ys]Word Is What I Define... - YouTube[/ame]

-A blogger from the UK defines Deafism as Deaf against Deaf, and reverse audism as Deaf against hearing:
Intellectual debate on Deaf issues | North of the Stupid Line

-The incident I experienced was, yes, with a dumbass, but unfortunately not an isolated incident. Another camper was very overwhelmed at one point and went to play the piano for some much-needed stress release. A deaf staffer came up to her and told her to stop, that she was not allowed to play it, because the staffer couldn't hear it and therefore it was disenfranchising her.

-A friend of mine, a CODA, grew up in a very DEAF family. Because she was hearing, she was rarely invited to family gatherings.

-TL Forsberg, in See What I'm Saying, talks about being HoH, and that she has been told she is "not Deaf enough."

Are these Deafism or reverse audism? I don't know. All I know is I wish they didn't happen.

In the simple search here, Deafism =34 results (listed by topic) - Search took 0.33 seconds. Having the word somewhere... not sure the breakdown of defies to hearies using the word.

I think it would be deaf vs hoh or deaf vs hearing -both- but this seems to always be 'malice' ?!?! I personally have seen instances where a late deafen or raised oral deaf asked for something to be repeated slower, and the others refused. Not good enough to tell what else was said... I did get to learn a handful of signs that day from nice people at the same event. *smh*

The other thread established that Audism was not necessarily 'with malice' but so far I've never seen Deafism done w/o malice... likely because how Audism presents itself- everyday, all over and can -seem- to be malicious after seeing enough of it.

For instance someone who's never met a deaf person is NOT doing to automatically conciser how best to communicate even if they know right away its a communication issue and not 'something else' due to (Audist) culture and (Audist) media.

EX> "Dear in headlights" look, mumbles 'I'm sorry' then starts over enunciating words... 'hhhhhhiiiiiiii, mmmmmmyyyyyy nnnnnaammmmeee issssssss F. Rrrr. eee. ddd. :slap: -or- worse yet runs away altogether.

Back