Returning opened DVD to store

Lee H.

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

last night, I returned a DVD to a local store because the DVD I bought was not Closed Captioned as claimed on box. The store said that the policy is "no return on opened dvd" but because of "special circumstances" (deaf and needing CC,) they are giving me an exception. At first, they offered to exchange for another DVD of same movie, but I told them that if one DVD don't have the CC, the other probably won't. For that reason, I asked for refund and they agreed.

There's NO federal (or state) law saying you can't return opened DVD,, it's more of store policy.

Now,, I wonder,, did I get lucky or what?

I remember it store policy is said if you open dvd can`t replacment because I aware it on policy is very dvd open because reason otherwise look on back on front on cc, make sure check it

I remember it store policy is said if you open dvd can`t replacment because I aware it on policy is very dvd open because reason otherwise look on back on front on cc, make sure check it

Smith, I agree that stores, as a rule don't allow for returns of DVDs if it's opened. In my case, the box did say CC on the back, and at first, they pointed out their policy but decided to bend the rule for me. They tried to get me to get another of same movie but I refused their offer because I feel that if one DVD copy is not captioning, the other of same movie probably won't.

My point is,, if you argue your case, you might be lucky to get the store to bend the "no return" rule and get a refund.

last night, I returned a DVD to a local store because the DVD I bought was not Closed Captioned as claimed on box.

Travis, read Lee's post carefully. The box claimed it had cc.

Lee, I think the store did right by you. I recall being able to return rented DVDs and get my rental money back when a DVD wasn't captioned. And I think you were right that if one didn't have CC, none of that particular DVD probably would have.

last night, I returned a DVD to a local store because the DVD I bought was not Closed Captioned as claimed on box. The store said that the policy is "no return on opened dvd" but because of "special circumstances" (deaf and needing CC,) they are giving me an exception. At first, they offered to exchange for another DVD of same movie, but I told them that if one DVD don't have the CC, the other probably won't. For that reason, I asked for refund and they agreed.

There's NO federal (or state) law saying you can't return opened DVD,, it's more of store policy.

there was never a law (federal, state, local) on returning opened DVD.

I've returned dvds before that CLAIMED on the package to have CC (or subtitles) and didn't - I've always been polite and explained that it's either a single defective disc (what IS able to be returned if opened) or it's a manufacturing defect (still entitled to replacement if opened)

I've never ever had a problem - a few times they've wanted me to "prove it" (politely, not in a rude way) - so we walk it over to one of their DVD/TV setups ... and pop the disc in where they see for themselves that it's not CCd or Subtitled.

For anyone who has issues returning the disc - all you have to say is that it specifically states that it has CC/Subs on the packaging - but the disc does NOT (and that you use CC/Subs all the time and are SURE that it's not "user error" & that this means the disc is "defective" - and is entitled to be returned even if opened.

Hope that helps!!

P.S. I've found that being helpful, polite and educating sales staff/management about captioning, subtitles, and various equipment needs that us Hoh/Deaf have goes over MUCH better than getting made/upset (after all THEY didn't make the DVD or BluRay - or it's player, or the TV etc ... and they get NO training about Hoh/Deaf needs ... so blowing up at them is pointless)

Not true. Blockbuster accepted me to exchange other dvd. no charge.

Travis, read Lee's post carefully. The box claimed it had cc.

Lee, I think the store did right by you. I recall being able to return rented DVDs and get my rental money back when a DVD wasn't captioned. And I think you were right that if one didn't have CC, none of that particular DVD probably would have.

I agree you I reading understand reading careful!

there was never a law (federal, state, local) on returning opened DVD.

I'm sure it's in Canada. :o

Anyway, yeah, that happen to me before when I rent the movie and saw the details on the back of case said CC and turn out, it's not. What a mislead!

However, we may remember that happen few years ago that been against on many studio that claim CC on back is misled when most thought it would have CC along on special bonus. Now, the new lately date that even mention "May not all features have CC blah blah".

It had happened to me and I always got refund. Co-operation helps.

I bought 7 years in tibet 3 times (each from different places and times and at cut price) they still have no captions as it claimed on the box.

I have dealt with HMV before where I wanted to purchase a movie but we were unable to tell if it was CC'd or not. I spoke to the manager and she agreed to write on my reciept that I could return it within a week if it was not CC'd even thought it was open.
It turned out not to be CC'd and it was returned no problem. The manager remembered me and opened up a cash and she did the return herself. I was very impressed. She even called the warehouse to see if they had another version of the movie that might be CC'd; they didn't but i appreciated the effort.

*EQL*

I work in customer service at a retail store and the reason we don't exchange opened movies, games, or cds is because people take them home, copy the disc to computer to keep or sell, and return original movies. It is covered under the copyright law to not returned opened dvds. We exchange for same movie if movie is defective or if person bought blu ray instead ov dvd, etc.

However yes if you explain situation they should always give you credit, refund, or exhange for different movie and if not just ask to see manager.

My tv set frusturates me. Only has CC for VHS and not for DVD. So if DVD. Has CC and no subtitles I have to deal without.

It happened to me a couple of times, but never had a problem returning it and getting a refund. Being nice and explaining the situation is all it takes, in most cases.....

Technically, you should be allowed to return a DVD... because it's not as stated on the box.

I have a friend who did that and the store allowed it... no questions asked.

Back