Rethink ban on deaf blood donors

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...801&call_pageid=968256290204&col=968350116795

The Canadian Blood Services (CBS) agency has an appropriate motto: "It's a right to receive blood and a privilege to give it."

But the agency is wrong to deny that privilege to the deaf. It is treating those who can't hear as second-class citizens by excluding them as a group, rather than looking for a way to include them.

An agency spokesperson gave two reasons for the policy after Lois Buckley, a Peterborough woman who is deaf and required an interpreter, was told she would not be allowed to donate blood at the local CBS clinic. Both relate to the use of interpreters when prospective donors are interviewed about their medical and sexual history.

The first is a privacy concern, according to CBS media relations director Ron Vezina. Asking questions about medical history in the presence of a third person — the interpreter — may violate privacy legislation, he said.

However, by agreeing to do the interview through an interpreter, a deaf donor is consenting to discuss his or her medical history and obviously is not concerned about a privacy violation. Buckley and other deaf people make that same decision when they use interpreters at a hospital or clinic.

It's the second concern that obviously has prompted the ban on donors who need an interpreter — not just the deaf, but anyone not fluent in French or English. The fear is that someone with a history of drug use, sexually transmitted diseases or behaviour that could lead to such diseases might be too embarrassed to admit to those practices if a third person is in the room.

But is that a valid concern? And if so, is there not some way around it?

As Buckley and Maggie Doherty-Gilbert, regional director for the Canadian Hearing Society, point out, thousands of deaf people regularly use interpreters to convey confidential information to doctors or testify in the courts. If the justice system will accept testimony given through an interpreter that may convict someone of murder, surely information given in a blood donor interview can be trusted.

The questionnaire all prospective blood donors must answer has two parts, both requiring yes or no answers.

The first 13 questions deal primarily with prescription drug use and medical conditions; donors read them and mark yes or no on a paper form.

The next 16 questions focus on illegal drug use and sexual practices. A CBS interviewer asks those questions verbally and donors must answer before the boxes are checked yes or no.

Donors sign a declaration that they have answered truthfully and provide the name of their family doctor, who may be sent a copy of the form. That process seems to be just as good a safeguard for the deaf as it is for the hearing, since the interviewer is watching the response in both cases.

But if Canadian Blood Services believes that is not the case, it should work with the Canadian Hearing Society to come up with an alternative.

The only other response is to continue discriminating against Lois Buckley and all deaf people who want to perform a public service.

I remember this controversy arose in 2000. ECD school for deaf had a small protest about this.

This is so interesting to learn about Miss-D as I donated blood often when I was in high school. Of course I was mainstreamed and could talk/lipread, etc. I still kept donating blood after I graduated and the last time I donated blood was a few years ago. It's different for me because I know my blood type and don't require interpreting. With the Canadian Blood Cross, if you are O+, you are issued a database card which I have one and they do call me & ask me to donate whenever I can.

Cookie Monster said:
This is so interesting to learn about Miss-D as I donated blood often when I was in high school. Of course I was mainstreamed and could talk/lipread, etc. I still kept donating blood after I graduated and the last time I donated blood was a few years ago. It's different for me because I know my blood type and don't require interpreting. With the Canadian Blood Cross, if you are O+, you are issued a database card which I have one and they do call me & ask me to donate whenever I can.

This is news to me too. :) I never heard of a being refused of giving a blood donation if you are deaf and needs an interpreter.

Oh, and FYI, CookieMonster, I am O positive too. :) I had a great-aunt (she died a couple of years ago) who had RH Factor blood (which is dangerous for a baby she was pregnant with)...she had a son who is ok though, evne though he had heart surgery not too long ago and is in his 50s - early 60s.

Wow... Being told you can't donate blood because you're deaf is absolutely absurd. >:O

Aside from that... Why would they give cards to people that are O+? O- is the universal donor. O_o

Miss-Delectable said:
I remember this controversy arose in 2000. ECD school for deaf had a small protest about this.

Same here. I remember it as if it was yesterday. :)

Interesting! Is it only in Canada?

My husband donated blood recently and did have an interpreter by him while donating. Although he never needed the interpreter once he passed out at the sight of the needle. :-X ;)

I never did donate blood... (bad experience when I was 8) but I guess I should sometime soon. If I donate my blood, will they tell me my blood type? Because I had no idea what my type is. :-X

I didn't think it really mattered cuz they test the blood anyway.

There's really nothing wrong with deafie blood, its the interpreter issues that appears to be making the deaf blood look too sour for them to accept it.

Here the Red Cross folks already know good enough to accept our blood drive event 2 yrs ago at the deaf night at Block at Orange and collected 57 pints. Yes we provided the terps.

Richard

thats so stupid.... I helped with Blood Drive at my college (part of my student senate duties)- I have no problem with Red Cross folks... Seems like they are closed minded people up there in canda..

Oh, please don't get me started..!
"Closed-minded people up there in Canada."
HUHHHHH???????
Grrr!
You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.
I am in the middle of the good ole USA and my offers of service were turned down because I was Deaf, in so many cases!!!
Part of the problem seems to be the ability to communicate, and that gives the hearies so much PAUSE, ya know? In an extreme situation, say, where they stick the needle in your freakin' arm and you proceed to paint the room red, who do you call?
The mayor?
Hell, he would give you a freakin' MEDAL, if you would but let your inner voices be heard!
Sheeesh!

In Hawaii are not allowed to have deaf client for blood plasma. I also went to Phoenix,Arizona did not allowed deaf client for blood plasma too. Because one time they did make a big mistake by speaking voice says " your number is ####### then return to blood back into deaf person. and found out it was wrong one. and deaf client had filed lawsuit against them. and they did paid million dollars to deaf client who became AIDS because of different type of blood that comes from other client's blood. So they refused to have deaf client to do that for blood plasma in the future.

Dang, Dreamy, thanks for saying it better than I could.
There ya go, us deafies are not being treated nicely in some areas.
Never mind the legal stuff.

It look like that they are afraid over "deafies blood genes"... :eek:

DreamyHawaii said:
In Hawaii are not allowed to have deaf client for blood plasma. I also went to Phoenix,Arizona did not allowed deaf client for blood plasma too. Because one time they did make a big mistake by speaking voice says " your number is ####### then return to blood back into deaf person. and found out it was wrong one. and deaf client had filed lawsuit against them. and they did paid million dollars to deaf client who became AIDS because of different type of blood that comes from other client's blood. So they refused to have deaf client to do that for blood plasma in the future.

Blood must be control before donate bloods to clients.

Blood supplies are very tight, I would imagine. And no sensible organization would cut off or constrict this supply unnecessarily by excluding a pool of potential blood donors. Moreover, they always screen the blood supply, so these questions are kinda redundant; I may be wrong, though. Maybe the questioning is designed to save some money and resources from not having to test blood that is suspected to be bad to begin with?

Cookie Monster said:

You're 0+? so am I !! :dance2:

Deaf Blood! Deaf Blood! Arggghhhh, no, no, no. :deaf: :P :mrgreen:

Seriously, deafies here in CA give blood. The local Red Cross here is constantly hounding my wife for hers as it's somewhat rare or at least hard to come by and highly desired. She gives on occasion......

Personally, I see this a simply an attempt of the CBS to CYA or should it be CTA.

The last thing they want is another law suit about tainted blood.

You are always playing with fire when you are depending on a third party to explain. Should there be an error... who is going to own it??

Literacy of English yet again impacting peoples lives.

Back