Results from recheck on hearing

ladycaissa

Reaction score
Went to the audiologist today and found out that my hearing lost is most definately permanent. Both my audi and my ENT has agreed on the results. My audi did a voice recognition test (Obviously that has dropped). In June it was 70%. Now it's down to 55%. My audi said that my results is just barely above the requirement needed for the candidacy for the CI.

She is going to go talk to the person in charge of the CI department and see what all we can do. She thinks since I depend on my hearing so much that the person might actually be able to give us some sort of wiggle room. I am seriously crossing my fingers. I'd love to be able to get hearing back into that ear.

We adjusted the HA for the right ear the best we could so I can at least have some sort of sound coming into the ear. So far, I hate it. Everything feels off. The pressure in the ear is wrong too. After listening to loud noises on the right ear the HA makes my ear pop and crackle. Which isn't good honestly and sounds absolutely horrid. Sad thing is that it's the best we can do. I can't hear very much out of the right ear with the HA. I really want to cry. I hate this. I want what little hearing I had back. I really do!

:( It feels like a rug has been pulled out from underneath you doesn't it? I really wish that they would warn people with hearing aids that hearing is not fixed and that it can be lost or decrease any time.

I'm wondering if maybe you have some recruitment now in the right ear as a result of the additional loss. When hearing the hearing aid, this can cause sounds to become distorted and for normally tolerable loud noises to become unbearable. If it is the case, then discuss it with your audiologist as this could be a factor that might help you with CI candidacy.

Here is a helpful link on recruitment that explains it in explain English Recruitment from Hearing Loss

:( It feels like a rug has been pulled out from underneath you doesn't it? I really wish that they would warn people with hearing aids that hearing is not fixed and that it can be lost or decrease any time.

I'm wondering if maybe you have some recruitment now in the right ear as a result of the additional loss. When hearing the hearing aid, this can cause sounds to become distorted and for normally tolerable loud noises to become unbearable. If it is the case, then discuss it with your audiologist as this could be a factor that might help you with CI candidacy.

Here is a helpful link on recruitment that explains it in explain English Recruitment from Hearing Loss

Yeah it does feel like that. I always knew that hearing aids don't fix my problem, it just helps me to hear sound better. I just wished they still worked on my right ear to help hear sound better.

As for the recruitment, I'll talk to my audi about it. I just emailed her about my issue with the hearing aid. I'll get a response in the morning. Thanks for the link, it did help.

Let's hope you get something done about your hearing. I had severe recruitment before I got implanted. It made it very hard for me to wear my HA. With the implant, you won't have a problem. Let us know if you'll be a candidate despite being a borderline case.

For what's it worth, IMHO you sound like good candidate for CI, and I have feeling you will be happy with your future CI. Hang in there.

Fuzzy

For what's it worth, IMHO you sound like good candidate for CI, and I have feeling you will be happy with your future CI. Hang in there.

Fuzzy

Thanks. It's nice to have at least a few people believe in me and my future.

lol.

I do however have doubts about everything though. My emotions are just all over the place. I've already decided that if my hearing loss was permanent that I'd try and see if I could get the CI.

I know I can't function very well without my hearing, since my world is predominately hearing. Going to class is very hard too, being a Biology major and all. I don't have an interpreter and don't use sign on a daily basis. I used sign today for the first time in over 9 months to talk to my friend in Omaha.

I think it's very natural, very normal to have doubts- I would be suprised if you didn't!
there is so many new things to think over, to consider.
One thing is sure though - if you live in predominantly hearing enviroment, and you enjoy it- and there are means to maintan that way - why not go for it.
btw I loved biology in school, too :)
I liked genetics, also.
don't remember much, thou... :/ if anyhting at all, lolol.

Fuzzy

lol.

I do however have doubts about everything though. My emotions are just all over the place. I've already decided that if my hearing loss was permanent that I'd try and see if I could get the CI.

I know I can't function very well without my hearing, since my world is predominately hearing. Going to class is very hard too, being a Biology major and all. I don't have an interpreter and don't use sign on a daily basis. I used sign today for the first time in over 9 months to talk to my friend in Omaha.

Just a suggestion, but I would reccommend that you speak with a CRC to discuss issues such as adjustment to disability. It is something that has such an overwhelming impact on all areas of your life. It could really help you sort through things and make your adjustment to the CI much smoother, as well.

I
really wish that they would warn people with hearing aids that hearing is not fixed and that it can be lost or decrease any time.
Amen! Also sorry for going OT, but cases like these are exactly why I think that the majority of dhh kids should be educated with and strongly exposed to ASL. It does seem like when a sucessful HA user has a sudden drop in hearing, it can be almost as devastating as losing hearing is for someone who is normally hearing. Maybe if kids were equipted with the right tools, stuff like this might not be so devastating.
Lady C, hopefully it is recruitment, so you can get the CI! Maybe you might even end up with TWO CIs.....does recruitment signal progressive loss?

and I apologize fo continuing off topic- I'll try to be short -
and I believe anyone with any hearing loss regardless if its nature should learn ASL. I am sorry I didn't had that opportunity, now is too late for me - I am too deeply set in hearing enviroment. but even now there are rare instances when I could use it. So I, too would encourage you LC to learn ASL at some point - perhaps after you master listening thru your new device :)

btw I always knew my hearing loss is progressive - for some reason it was known right away.

Fuzzy

I
Amen! Also sorry for going OT, but cases like these are exactly why I think that the majority of dhh kids should be educated with and strongly exposed to ASL. It does seem like when a sucessful HA user has a sudden drop in hearing, it can be almost as devastating as losing hearing is for someone who is normally hearing. Maybe if kids were equipted with the right tools, stuff like this might not be so devastating.
Lady C, hopefully it is recruitment, so you can get the CI! Maybe you might even end up with TWO CIs.....does recruitment signal progressive loss?

I agree with you whole heartedly. I honestly believe everyone should be taught sign language.

I do know a little bit of sign. I taught myself how to sign when I was in preschool. There was some deaf students in my class and I got bored in class. So I sat there and learned how to sign. I do remember a bit but I don't use it fluently.

Another thing is that sign language is constantly evolving. What was one word a few years ago may not be the word for it now.

Glad you see where I was going with that. Were you pretty much "maxstreamed"? (hearing classes hearing school) with little or no exposure to the Deaf community as a kid? I think you and I are pretty much in the same boat..........maxstreamed as hoh kids, and really busy with schooling/schooling ops haven't really presented the opertunity to pick up Sign. I really wish that someone could have told my parents that going to a Deaf school or a hearing school with a formal Deaf program was an option. I really think I would have done better academicly (and I say that as someone who's an aural learner)
Oh and I totally think that you opting for CI is the right thing to do. You really need as much "sound input" as possible, and you're in a very high pressure academic enviroment.

Glad you see where I was going with that. Were you pretty much "maxstreamed"? (hearing classes hearing school) with little or no exposure to the Deaf community as a kid? I think you and I are pretty much in the same boat..........maxstreamed as hoh kids, and really busy with schooling/schooling ops haven't really presented the opertunity to pick up Sign. I really wish that someone could have told my parents that going to a Deaf school or a hearing school with a formal Deaf program was an option. I really think I would have done better academicly (and I say that as someone who's an aural learner)
Oh and I totally think that you opting for CI is the right thing to do. You really need as much "sound input" as possible, and you're in a very high pressure academic enviroment.

Not to get down your throat about it and all, it's called mainstreamed.

Yes, I was mainstreamed to hearing schools with little to no exposure to the deaf community/culture. My mother wanted it that way. She knew/felt that we (my brother and I) would recieve a better education if we were surrounded by hearing people. My mother looked at deaf schools but she felt the education was a bit lacking and felt it would be better off for the two of us. Both my brother and I did really well, we adapted to life in hearing school. It was all we knew, we didn't know any thing else. I honestly felt that my mother did the right thing, although it would've been nice to be around people with disabilities like ours, to be able to relate to others.

LadyCassia, Yeah I know. I just use the term "maxstreamed" (maximum mainstreamed whenever possible) for folks who were mainstreamed and had very little access to the Deaf community/culture You can be mainstreamed, (academicly) and yet still have access to the Deaf community/culture.
And yeah, I feel the same way. Although I do think that some of the people who push that sort of philosophy really have their heads in the clouds about the downsides of it.

LadyCassia, Yeah I know. I just use the term "maxstreamed" (maximum mainstreamed whenever possible) for folks who were mainstreamed and had very little access to the Deaf community/culture You can be mainstreamed, (academicly) and yet still have access to the Deaf community/culture.
And yeah, I feel the same way. Although I do think that some of the people who push that sort of philosophy really have their heads in the clouds about the downsides of it.

That makes sense. I understand what you are saying about "maxstreamed".

Feel the same way about what exactly???

LOL.......Sorry I wasn't clearer..........I meant that I'm glad I was mainstreamed, since it meant that they thought I could compete academicly with hearing kids, but on the other hand, it did seem like if you weren't a Super Deaf who acheived with minimal accomondations, you were automaticly tagged as one of those slacker kids who seem to be legion in sped.

I never ran into the problem of being labeled as a slacker sped kid . My teachers treated me exactly like they would treat everyone else. Even sometimes forgot that I was HOH.

My friends forget I am HOH too. I guess it has to do with the fact that I dont sound deaf (deaf people tend to have a nasally tone to their voice).

Back