Restraining Order rules?

What if it's his place of employment?

Yeah, good point. Somehow I can't help but think this arrangement would make things worse....just think of the possibilities....

there you go. ask all the questions on that date.

I agree with Jiro, it is wise to ask the judge directly... The general populace (including the infamous ADers) have limited knowledge after all :) and rules may vary due to place of residence.

A stalker with a restraining order usually knows where her favorite place to hang out. I think he will need to leave.

What if it's his place of employment?

I know a guy who got a restraining order placed against him; he had to move to Edmonton because according to the order, he must stay away at least 5km away from the person. Problem is.. they lived in the same city (Calgary.) So when he moved to Edmonton, the girl who pressed it-- MOVED to the same city a few years later while he was still in post-secondary, because SHE wanted to go to university as well.

Long story short: he end up having to drop his courses, move back to Calgary and apply for another school. Stupid. He wasn't even aware she was moving to Edmonton, all he knew is that he got a notice served. He deserve the restraining order for sure, after hanging around him-- I can see why he was issued a restraining order, but... wow.

I feel there are good reasons for ROs and I do see the ROs being abused for self-serving needs.

I feel there are good reasons for ROs and I do see the ROs being abused for self-serving needs.

I have heard tons of times over the years that the general RO's are a joke and I kind of agree. Yanno why? Cuz they are written up by men! :lol:

The purpose of a restraining order is to allow police to arrest the restrained person when he violates the order by being near the person with the order. Your friend should know the terms of the order and comply with it. He must read the terms of the order. If he doesn't understand the order, he should contact the police for clarification. Police have a copy of the order. If he does not clarify the terms and violates the order, he runs the risk of being arrested. It doesn't matter who is at the location first. The terms of the order controls what must happen when the two people are in the same place. The judge has the authority to require whatever she thinks is necessary for the safety of the person seeking the order.

To get a restraining order, a person must present evidence that an order is required for safety. Like voice recordings, letters, specific evidence of previous disturbances, etc. At the very least, the ex probably continued contacting the women after she clearly told him that she did not him to contact her. At some point, contact becomes stalking.

Back