Respect: What does it exactly mean to you?

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
We all know how important it is for us to be treated with respect. That being said, How important is it to treat others with respect to you?

If a person does not respect themselves, How can they possibly respect other people?

Over the years, I have learned that, upfront, if you tell a person, "I respect you and I expect the same in return". This usually clears the air on understanding where each person is coming from.

Respect is a big and mighty word. It contains only seven letters. Is there enough respect for each other in world? No. The lack of respect can start a war.

Discuss with respect, as always. :)

Good question! Respect... there are many forms - culturally, socially, metaphorically, figuratively, etc...

1. Respect his/her privacy
2. Respect the cultural difference
3. Respect yourself
4. Respect them and they will respect you
5. Respect the nature
6. Respect is earned
7. etc. etc.

IMO... what determines the size of respect from me is the amount of what you have done for community. :cool2:

Good question! Respect... there are many forms - culturally, socially, metaphorically, figuratively, etc...

1. Respect his/her privacy
2. Respect the cultural difference
3. Respect yourself
4. Respect them and they will respect you
5. Respect the nature
6. Respect is earned
7. etc. etc.

IMO... what determines the size of respect from me is the amount of what you have done for community. :cool2:

This is an interesting perspective - Let's say, if someone has done so much for the community but yet that person has not got any respect from others; What good will it do? Should it be brushed off? Should it be gained with knowledge to see that it's their "loss" for not recognizing the respect towards a person who has done so much for the community?

For me respect is something very important when it comes to the boys. It's part of education!

Respect your children and they will respect you and vice versa...

I try my best to apply the following rules:
- Being honest with them: If I made the wronge choice, I apologize to them. RESPECT

- Not making fun of them if they do mistakes, point the finger out or embarrass them: instead I compliment them for their accomplishment if even so little. RESPECT

- I try to give them liberty: try to let them make their choices and take over responsiblity. RESPECT

- Being fair: when the boys had a fight, listen to each story before jumping to conclusion because one child might have a different pov than the other one. this shows RESPECT not only towards me, but also towards their brother.

- Being polite towards the boys: if I expect them to say thank you, please and excuse me, they are allowed to expect the same from me, which obviously shows RESPECT.

- Keeping promises: No matter how busy I am, I try to stick to my promise. If I know I can't make it, I don't make a promise! RESPECT

- Listening to the boys: if I can't right away, I explain the reason why and promise to talk about it minutes later when I am available again. stick to the promise! (see above) = Respect!

Everybody should keep in mind the following:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

:D Jamie

I think respect needs to be earned.

While I understand the reasoning behind this, I'm not sure I agree with it. I tend to think respect is given, unless it is "Lost"
I try to treat everyone with respect, it's part of being in a civilized community. Having said that, it CAN be lost... if someone lies to me, I lose respect for them. If someone is unkind to others, I lose respect for them.
Someone who simply has a different opinion than my own, still deserves respect. Someone who is disrespective towards me, doesn't necessarily give me the right to shoot back with the same attitude. I can have little respect for someone, but still treat them civilly. Hard work..but it can be done!
In my eyes.. Trust must be earned..but respect is given until it's destroyed.

Everyone need to respect for their differences. They also need to try to be more involved and participated with them without personal insult or attack or what ever that will hurt them and their feelings. They may be not smart, but still everyone need to respect, no matter how much difference they are. They are just like you guys. Humans and they have feelings, too.

Respect is a virtue. Same with acceptance and patience. It's not necessary to jump in a bandwagon and say such hurtful things to make others to feel stupid or unimportant. People need to realize that they have their own needs for some things, too - I mean, support each other's needs for understandin', accept who they really are. Everyone come from different walks of life.

While I understand the reasoning behind this, I'm not sure I agree with it. I tend to think respect is given, unless it is "Lost"
I try to treat everyone with respect, it's part of being in a civilized community. Having said that, it CAN be lost... if someone lies to me, I lose respect for them. If someone is unkind to others, I lose respect for them.
Someone who simply has a different opinion than my own, still deserves respect. Someone who is disrespective towards me, doesn't necessarily give me the right to shoot back with the same attitude. I can have little respect for someone, but still treat them civilly. Hard work..but it can be done!
Good points.

What you seem to be talking about to me is politeness. Not the same as what I would view as respect.

Education is respect. Respect is being educated.

The more education one has--the more respect they have.

The less educated one is--the less respect they have.

Education is respect. Respect is being educated.

The more education one has--the more respect they have.

The less educated one is--the less respect they have.

WRONG! my grandfather had to quit school in in the 7th grade and he was one of the most respected men ive ever known. his brother was as well(my uncle) both were active in their churches and my uncle was a deacon and were respected by all that knew them.

What you seem to be talking about to me is politeness. Not the same as what I would view as respect.

Politeness, is how people earn and give respect.

You can meet a person for the first time, and be polite to them. Depends on how the person responds and acts. Then see if respect is earned or vice versa.

Certain people... I do not respect, but I do try to be polite to them. :)

I am not just speaking of this forum. It is how it is when I meet someone. Hard to respect some lowlife, but as long as that lowlife is polite to me, I will be polite right back.

I respect you, you respect me...
If I don't get the respect I deserve then hell I won't respect you lol.

Yeah, respect is a big thing I hate not seeing other people get respected.

That is hard to earn respect and trust in the person you meet or have relationship with. I find that most men don't really respect women for who they are as a person but treat us as a second class person. This is not fair. Men and women should be equal with respect and trust each other as people. It takes more than the battle of the sexes because of our differences on what we are thinking as a human beings. I have tried to show respect to men and woman alike, but sometimes I find some lies and/or try to hurt me with robbing things that don't belong to them, even cheat me behind my back. The hardest part is to earn trust and be able to respect us again. Both respect and trust have to be earn. That is my :2c: :(

Its easy to lose the respect and trust you've earned, but it's always twice as hard to regain that respect and for some people you may never be fully redeemed, but at least you might be forgiven if your circumstances forced you to act in such a way.

Its hard to earn the respect of people who count you out before they even get to know you, but don't let their attitude bother you.

If you think someone else has a respect problem, check your own attitude first, it just might be the source. If youve evaluated yourself and you find no fault in your actions then its the other person with a lack of self-respect to treat you and others with a decent respect.

Ive always tried to treat others the way I would want to be treated. If I've ever deviated from that I apologize.

The OP is spot on that respect is a very heavy word that has just seven letters. If you want respect you must give respect and earn your own respect, and it has to start with yourself.

Everyone need to respect for their differences. They also need to try to be more involved and participated with them without personal insult or attack or what ever that will hurt them and their feelings. They may be not smart, but still everyone need to respect, no matter how much difference they are. They are just like you guys. Humans and they have feelings, too.

Respect is a virtue. Same with acceptance and patience. It's not necessary to jump in a bandwagon and say such hurtful things to make others to feel stupid or unimportant. People need to realize that they have their own needs for some things, too - I mean, support each other's needs for understandin', accept who they really are. Everyone come from different walks of life.

Exactly, Maria. That is how I view as same as you are. I hate the quote from "logically and snobby" people: "If you are not 'welcomed by people', you are 'not deserved to have your existence' on the Earth unless you are 'recognized' by other people." So, yeah, a few certain people said to me that I don't deserve my existence on our Earth. How admiration for the respect. :scoffs: :roll:

Usually, I was and still am often disrespect and "unwelcome" by other people cos of my intelligence and my background... I only return them some to no respect cos I often don't get some respect from others... Well, a few times I tried to involve with some familiar-faced people for improving my social but they just rejected me out as they just dislike me, anyway. So I have no choice but I removed one thing from my 21 things. Also, it would be nice to visit my friends but they are too far from my place and some of them are so busy... Oh well... I guess I will stay an "anti-social" personality, probably forever. =/ I don't know....... I hope I pass my driver lisence so I can meet some new people from any location. Sighs. :shrug:

Oh, by the way, I agree that there can be a lot of social pressure to support "popularity" and "certain things" in some ways to single "low-life people" out. If I live in some larger place, I often feel like if I admitted in public to being "unpopular and infamous" certain things (believer, conservative, pro-life, etc etc) I'd get stoned to death. :lol:

For me respect is something very important when it comes to the boys. It's part of education!

Respect your children and they will respect you and vice versa...

I try my best to apply the following rules:
- Being honest with them: If I made the wronge choice, I apologize to them. RESPECT

- Not making fun of them if they do mistakes, point the finger out or embarrass them: instead I compliment them for their accomplishment if even so little. RESPECT

- I try to give them liberty: try to let them make their choices and take over responsiblity. RESPECT

- Being fair: when the boys had a fight, listen to each story before jumping to conclusion because one child might have a different pov than the other one. this shows RESPECT not only towards me, but also towards their brother.

- Being polite towards the boys: if I expect them to say thank you, please and excuse me, they are allowed to expect the same from me, which obviously shows RESPECT.

- Keeping promises: No matter how busy I am, I try to stick to my promise. If I know I can't make it, I don't make a promise! RESPECT

- Listening to the boys: if I can't right away, I explain the reason why and promise to talk about it minutes later when I am available again. stick to the promise! (see above) = Respect!

Everybody should keep in mind the following:
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

:D Jamie

:gpost: that´s exactly how I exposed my both sons like that.

Back