Respect for all

Jackie, if u want respect from us, then u need to stop saying things like how deaf children who develop oral skills have more opportunities, that ASL will interfere with spoken language development, and how it has to be either oral or ASL instead of both.

I am glad u are not one of those parents who forbids your children from learning sign language nor interacting with deaf people.

I just have a problem with your teaching philosophy. That doesnt make me hate you or anything cuz I dont know u personally. It is that philosophy, especially the part about ASL interfering with spoken language that I strongly disagree with.

But all oralists function from somewhat of an audist perspective, in that oral language is the priority over sign.
Yes,
it's exactly like those people who are chaunavist about the English language. You know those people who believe that English should be the ONLY language in the US. Heck the deabtes over bilingal education in the states is exactly like the Deaf education debate.
jillo, I don't quite agree that oralism equates with one school of thought. There ARE extremists out there,(eg Warren Estabrooks) but it does seem like the debate is over which language should be a dhh kid's first language for a lot of pro oral folks. There are some people who are OK with a full toolbox philosophy. Ive heard that its not too unusual to see Sign 'terps at AG Bell conferences.
At least Jackie isn't one of those "Sign is bad and all dhh kids should be oral" types.
She's still somewhat audist, but not as audist as some of the extremists out there.

What I believe is that if a deaf child is oral, the child could have more opportunities because they would be able to go into the hearing community and not rely on an interpeter or writing notes to get their point across.
Jackie, on the other hand in order to be that independant, a dhh kid would have to have EXTREMELY good speech. Certainly they don't need a 'terp in the hearing world the way someone who's ASL monolingal would.....but on the other hand they still encounter a lot of obstucles. I know a lot of "oral" kids who have decent speech, but they're still afraid to interact with your average hearing person b/c they're afraid that the hearing person won't be able to understand them. Just b/c a dhh kid has oral skills, it doesn't mean that they'll be easily understood by the majority of people out there!

Jackie,

I understand how frustrating it can be but as long as I have been involved with the deaf community there has always been a small segment of the Deaf community that believes that because you chose a cochlear implant for your child, that they somehow have an entitlement to comment upon your parental decision and skills. The good news is that they are dwindling in numbers as more and more parents of deaf children, both hearing and deaf, are choosing cochlear implants for their children and the kids are proving them wrong on a daily basis!

I understand you trying to make sense of their position but it is like trying to make sense of a bigot's rationalization of why it is acceptable to hate Catholics, blacks or any group of people.

Please take solace in the fact that as both a parent and as a teacher you are doing wonderful things and having a positive impact upon the lives of your children and your students.

You neither have to explain nor justify your parental decisions to anyone but your children and I am certain they already know what a great mother they have!

The fact that there are only a couple of parents of young children with cochlear implants who post here proves your point that all they are doing is scaring them off. But where are they scaring them off to? To places like the ci circle, the hearing exchange and the blogs of other parents of ci kids and that is the greatest irony of it all and true poetic justice!

I know you are too modest to say it but you know as well as I that once the parents walk into a classroom like yours and see and observe your kids, there is very little left to say- a picture is truly worth a thousand words!

Keep on keeping on, you are doing great things Jackie,
Rick

Jackie,

I understand how frustrating it can be but as long as I have been involved with the deaf community there has always been a small segment of the Deaf community that believes that because you chose a cochlear implant for your child, that they somehow have an entitlement to comment upon your parental decision and skills. The good news is that they are dwindling in numbers as more and more parents of deaf children, both hearing and deaf, are choosing cochlear implants for their children and the kids are proving them wrong on a daily basis!

I understand you trying to make sense of their position but it is like trying to make sense of a bigot's rationalization of why it is acceptable to hate Catholics, blacks or any group of people.

Please take solace in the fact that as both a parent and as a teacher you are doing wonderful things and having a positive impact upon the lives of your children and your students.

You neither have to explain nor justify your parental decisions to anyone but your children and I am certain they already know what a great mother they have!

The fact that there are only a couple of parents of young children with cochlear implants who post here proves your point that all they are doing is scaring them off. But where are they scaring them off to? To places like the ci circle, the hearing exchange and the blogs of other parents of ci kids and that is the greatest irony of it all and true poetic justice!

I know you are too modest to say it but you know as well as I that once the parents walk into a classroom like yours and see and observe your kids, there is very little left to say- a picture is truly worth a thousand words!

Rick

This has absolutley nothing to do with cochlear implants. You are once again taking a disagreement over educational philosophies, and turning it into a discussion on cochlear implants. The disagreement pertains to oral only vs other alternatives for educational environment. It is only the CI parents that continue to bring CI up, and then only to make it appear that others who disagree with their educational philosphies are anti-CI. It is a cowardly tactic, and one that is misrepresentative of the nature of the discussion. But, it is similar to the A.G. Bell move regarding the Pepsi commercial. I suppose we can expect nothing less from the oral camp.

This has absolutley nothing to do with cochlear implants. You are once again taking a disagreement over educational philosophies, and turning it into a discussion on cochlear implants. The disagreement pertains to oral only vs other alternatives for educational environment. It is only the CI parents that continue to bring CI up, and then only to make it appear that others who disagree with their educational philosphies are anti-CI. It is a cowardly tactic, and one that is misrepresentative of the nature of the discussion. But, it is similar to the A.G. Bell move regarding the Pepsi commercial. I suppose we can expect nothing less from the oral camp.

I know...it is puzzling.

I just sent an email to that stupid AGBell organization. I told them just leave ASL alone and stop with the oral spouting.

Rick..u are saying that children with CIs are proving everyone wrong. Well, I am seeing the total opposite so it is not ALL children as u claim.

To say it is poetic justice just shows your disain for the Deaf community. Now, why should we respect someone like u who puts us down like that?

I wouldnt respect someone like that and yet, I am expected to. What a joke!

I know...it is puzzling.

I just sent an email to that stupid AGBell organization. I told them just leave ASL alone and stop with the oral spouting.

Rick..u are saying that children with CIs are proving everyone wrong. Well, I am seeing the total opposite so it is not ALL children as u claim.

To say it is poetic justice just shows your disain for the Deaf community. Now, why should we respect someone like u who puts us down like that?

I wouldnt respect someone like that and yet, I am expected to. What a joke!

Whatever you say shel, have a nice night.

Whatever you say too Jill T from L. We know the game you play and it isn't working.

Whatever you say shel, have a nice night.

As usual, u really dont listen ...go see the other threads where one other ADer is so thrilled that her parents will let her learn ASL after fighting with her for so long about it.

Whatever you say too Jill T from L. We know the game you play and it isn't working.

U are the one who brought up CIs...we didnt. As usual, u are the one who is playing a game.

U are so transparent. U want to see the end of the signing community..it is so transparent.

U are the one who brought up CIs...we didnt. As usual, u are the one who is playing a game.

U are so transparent. U want to see the end of the signing community..it is so transparent.

Exactly. He gets it all started and the blames it on everyone else. Do you knowwho this J.T. of L. is that he is talking about? Maybe its that voice is only in his head.

Looks like the question I asked in post 138 has been answered. The childish games are continuing.

shel,

Take a chill pill and save the drama for your mama.

Exactly. He gets it all started and the blames it on everyone else. Do you knowwho this J.T. of L. is that he is talking about? Maybe its that voice is only in his head.

Looks like the question I asked in post 138 has been answered. The childish games are continuing.

No games, just letting Jackie know that I think she is doing a great job both as a parent and as a teacher. Shame that would annoy you.

Well gotta go, have a great weekend Jill T from L!

Rick,
Thank you for your support. I know you are right. I honestly do not know why it matters. My children are happy with our choices and I love my job and working with young children and their parents. I know you are right parents come into my class and want their child in with me. And some of them have fought hard. A couple of months I had a little boy transfer in my class from Riverside. I guess I am making an impact even at the school for the Deaf.

Jackie,

Rick

No games, just letting Jackie know that I think she is doing a great job both as a parent and as a teacher. Shame that would annoy you.

There's that voice in your head again. You know, they make meds for that.

And anyone that replies with a response that is heard on an elemetary playground and then claims they are not playing childish games is seriously confused.

You know Rick, I do not why I try so hard to understand other people's position especially since they are just so closed minded. People like that would never be open to new ideas and ideas that work.
You know Rick, I have had extra time to be on Alldeaf because I am at a 2 week conference on cochlear implants. I am not use to have evenings alone with my children or my therapy kids. I am learning so much more. You know Rick we have such amazing kids that were able to do so much with the old technology of 22. I hope the new parents of cochlear implants realize how much better they have it with all the new techonology. It is just so amazing what these toddlers have avilable. Have you heard that they have implanted a 6 month old baby. Can you image what this baby is going to be able to do.

It's funny how parents come here and speak for their children, but we never hear from their children.

(shrugs)

Just had to point it out because that's what I always see here. Always the parents making all sorts of claims about what their children can do, yet we never hear from their children. We all know how the parents like to exaggerate when it come to their children.

(Jillo included, no offense :P)

Have you heard that they have implanted a 6 month old baby. Can you image what this baby is going to be able to do.

That's risky considering the accuracy rate of hearing tests on infants. But they will never know because they already destroyed the residual hearing by then. There are cases of where children were mistaken for being deaf till they were a year old only to discover that that's not the case. They should wait at least a year.

It's funny how parents come here and speak for their children, but we never hear from their children.

(shrugs)

Just had to point it out because that's what I always see here. Always the parents making all sorts of claims about what their children can do, yet we never hear from their children. We all know how the parents like to exaggerate when it come to their children.

(Jillo included, no offense :P)

Bango
You got a point there. My son did join but he stopped after Jillo was critical of writing abilities. So this is why he has not been back on this site.

Back