Resources to get New Cochlear Implant

Leeanne

Reaction score
Hi, I have a cochlear implant. I have had it since I was nine. I need an upgrade badly. I went to visit the audiologist a few months ago and found out that the new freedom will be coming out in the spring. I do not have any money or insurance.
Two people, the audiologist and my deaf counselor told me to go to the Social security office (first time) and apply for disability to qualify for medicad. I was rejected:( I asked them if they know of other agencies that would help me and they said they know nothing about cochlear implant or hearing aids.
I wanted to ask you if you know how I can get help with paying for the upgrade of my cochlear implant?
Thanks.

Wirelessly posted

I have the same money issues and we have insurance.

If you have a job, you can apply for credit card. But we are already in debt as it is.

Last edited:
leaenne ,
do u mind me asking what country your living in?
nichola

She mentioned "Social Security" which is the United States.

Implanted advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

She mentioned "Social Security" which is the United States.

Implanted advanced Bionics- Harmony activated Aug/07

Not just the USA has Social Security ... just saying

Hey,
Yes, I am in the US.
I cannot use my credit card and I already have a loan. I have a car and I am still in school. Does anyone know of private organizations or state agencies that focuses on this issue?
Stacy

Maybe try your state's Vocational Rehabilitation department?

I want to know this as well. Can you tell me why were you rejected from Medicaid?

And what state did you apply for medicaid? Have you gotten SSI/SSDI?

I want to know this as well. Can you tell me why were you rejected from Medicaid?

Some SSI/SSDI will not qualify every deaf person if their situation have improved. They probably felt hers have improved. Which is why you should mention issues you do have. (like not hearing well with older processors because you are still deaf)

VA. I do not qualify for either. I am not sure why I was rejected from disability or ssi. Maybe because I had a job at my other school before I graduated and I could not keep the job because I was no longer a student.

leeanne,
would u maybe apply again ? i know when people are declined sometimes they re- apply again and get it. it would do no harm re appealing?
annoy them until they give into you .......

People like Sheila and Leanne are not going to qualify for SSI because they are successful cochlear implant users, and hear far above the cut off point for deaf.

People like Sheila and Leanne are not going to qualify for SSI because they are successful cochlear implant users, and hear far above the cut off point for deaf.

Nope. They usually get denied at first because the SSA is desperately looking for ANY reasons to deny people. Look at one member who got denied for playing video games.

Gotta appeal. This is the game they're playing... if you dont appeal, they save money.

Nope. They usually get denied at first because the SSA is desperately looking for ANY reasons to deny people. Look at one member who got denied for playing video games.

Gotta appeal. This is the game they're playing... if you dont appeal, they save money.

Makes sense and I know people that has happened to too. But don't they have to qualify as hearing below a certain level with the device?

I know Sheila has spoken of her use of CI and understanding speech and being very good at it.

Why would she qualify for SSI? Or the new woman since she seems to be the same?

Yes. Some claims representatives and disability determination service people can be unfamiliar with CI issue such as they would think CI cure those people who lost their hearing. Those ci people should be approved with SSI and SSDI as long as they don't make too much of earnings.

You can try for the appeal.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:

They are still deaf.

If they had to quit or fired because of too many miscommunication, they can apply. I quit as a 7-11 cashier after three years because I got tired of it. I was more exhausted from trying to understand every consumer, and making them repeat alot (cigerette brands) all day long. Some get mad but most were understanding. Severe yelled at the top of their lung, cuss me out saying I shouldn't be working here (I would be happy to give him the minimum wage job while I get the SSDI). I don't use the phone which is one of the requirement but they were ok with that because two people are working because it is so busy. My manager still want me back but Its too mentally hard to communicate all day long without a break.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

They are still deaf.

If they had to quit or fired because of too many miscommunication, they can apply. I quit as a 7-11 cashier after three years because I got tired of it. I was more exhausted from trying to understand every consumer, and making them repeat alot (cigerette brands) all day long. Some get mad but most were understanding. Severe yelled at the top of their lung, cuss me out saying I shouldn't be working here (I would be happy to give him the minimum wage job while I get the SSDI). I don't use the phone which is one of the requirement but they were ok with that because two people are working because it is so busy. My manager still want me back but Its too mentally hard to communicate all day long without a break.

When yo go back, give me one of these free sulpree coupon for life, please.

Makes sense and I know people that has happened to too. But don't they have to qualify as hearing below a certain level with the device?

I know Sheila has spoken of her use of CI and understanding speech and being very good at it.

Why would she qualify for SSI? Or the new woman since she seems to be the same?

Because they're still deaf.

Back