residual hearing

deafamerica8

Reaction score
Has any person who has gotten a CI had any residual hearing left afterwards?

Based on booth testing, my profoundly deaf daughter didn't lose any hearing (she tested the same before and after CI surgeries when unaided). Our audi mentioned that this is more common now than it used to be -- different surgical techniques, smaller implants. But never a guarantee. She also said, though, that it was common for unaided hearing to deteriorate further without stimulation (CI tech bypasses the existing hair cells) --- if we test again in a couple of years, we'll likely find a greater loss of hearing.

She's only able to hear such things as jet engines (and once we think she heard our extremely loud black lab barking at her side) unaided, so it's not as though that's a real loss, if it does deteriorate further.

I clearly don't have any residual hearing after my Cochlear Implant operation in 2007. Easy to determine-I don't hear anything-just silence if Implant disconnected. I knew before the operation not likely to have any residual hearing left. That is why I had the operation in the first place.

Note: I am talking about myself re residual hearing.
It seems a bit strange to talk how some "might/could" have a "small amount" with massive amplification needed to "hear in some minimal sense".To what end?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I clearly do't have any residual after my Cochlear Implant operation in 2007. Easy to determine-I don't hear anything-just silence if Implanted disconnected. I knew before the operation not likely to have any residual hearing left. That is why I had the operation in the first place.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07
That's not necessarily the case. Cause many of the profoundly deaf do not hear anything without the CI or hearing aid. Just cause you do not hear anything without the CI or hearing aid is an indication you do not have any residual hearing left. You could still have a little left. Cause I do not hear anything out of my non implanted ear when not wearing an hearing aid. Although, do have some hearing, mostly just in an amplified sense though, when putting an hearing aid in that ear.

I had little residual hearing in my left ear pre-implant and the op did destroy the tiny amount. I couldn't really hear with that ear really anyway so I was not that fussed. Jan 2009 tests showed I have NO residual hearing in my CI ear.

I mean I dont think I have any left, but it could be possible given the adapted surgical techniques these days. I just had it implanted in december. I put a speaker phone up to my ear and could so call "hear" the dial tone but i think it was just the vibrations. I believe i am more sensative to vibrations now. cause my dad just vacumned and i didnt hear anything.

I lost what little hearing i did have after implantation in that ear

As I have mentioned before, I was informed by the team doing my implant that with the med-el implant and electrode combo they will be using, that I will have a greater "chance" of having some residual hearing left. This is due to a much smaller and more flexible electrode than was available in the past.

You can read a bit about it on Med-El's website.

Hearing Preservation with Cochlear Implants | MED-EL

According to the Audiologists I am severely to profoundly deaf in my ear that will be implanted, although it is amazing what I notice I miss if that ear is blocked (ie by my pillow). It is mostly in the high frequencies that I have lost, the lows arent quite as bad.
So I think I should be able to tell if I have lost anything more...just put my earbuds in and see if I can hear anything.

I will be sure to post after I have the surgery once things have started healing a bit.

Back